Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Wire Question

2020 Reflection 273 MK. Besides the large positive and negative leads on my 12 volt battery, I have a pair of #10 AWG leads, one red and one red/black wire that connect directly to the battery. I cannot tell exactly what these wires are used to power. I traced them through the pass through storage and it appears they go with a bundle of wires up to the main switch control panel inside the trailer.

Due to the size of the wire I assume they control some device that draws a fair amount of current. Maybe the slide or the water heater element??

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    2020 Reflection 273 MK. Besides the large positive and negative leads on my 12 volt battery, I have a pair of #10 AWG leads, one red and one red/black wire that connect directly to the battery. I cannot tell exactly what these wires are used to power. I traced them through the pass through storage and it appears they go with a bundle of wires up to the main switch control panel inside the trailer.

Due to the size of the wire I assume they control some device that draws a fair amount of current. Maybe the slide or the water heater element??
    I have these too. Curious to hear what they power.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume yours is hooked up red to positive and red/black to negative? If I don't get a response I'll leave the wires not hooked up start trying devices. I really don't want to pull the switch panel just to find out.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many if not most GD trailers ship with a handful of things that are NOT disconnected from power when the factory battery "kill" switch is turned off. I'd guess they do this for "safety" and/or legal reasons. The devices include landing gear / jacks, brakes, alarms, sometimes the radio, and maybe more. Is it possible that the wires you're asking about provide the uninterruptible source of power for those things?

You could try turning off the battery "kill" switch, putting a clamp / amp meter on the wire you're asking about, and have someone watch it while you operate the landing gear. If current flow increases those wires are serving at least the landing gear if not other things too.

Incidentally these loads are often enough to completely drain the typical dealer-installed battery in just a couple of weeks sitting unplugged in storage, even when the "kill" switch is turned off. If not using the trailer for more than a week or two, disconnect at least the negative wires from the battery. Or re-wire things so that the battery kill switch actually does disconnect the battery from everything, as many of us do.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-18-2020 at 05:10 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may well power some of the things you mention, but I'm still wondering why it runs up, inside the wall, towards the switch panel. It seems as though it would tie in to these devices on a buss bar closer to the breaker panel and the converter.

As I mentioned above I can determine it's purpose through trial and error or measuring current passing through, but just thought someone might have an answer. Obviously in this case polarity is not an issue, but I would like to know what's going on before I reconnect the two wires to the battery.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may well power some of the things you mention, but I'm still wondering why it runs up, inside the wall, towards the switch panel. It seems as though it would tie in to these devices on a buss bar closer to the breaker panel and the converter.

As I mentioned above I can determine it's purpose through trial and error or measuring current passing through, but just thought someone might have an answer. Obviously in this case polarity is not an issue, but I would like to know what's going on before I reconnect the two wires to the battery.
    Maybe for the prewired solar port?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On mine they are the brakes and solar port
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rig doesn't have anything like that.
    Since I recently moved the batteries and replaced the charger in a LiPo conversion, I'm very certain what everything does.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are the wires for the pre-wired solar.

If you're not going to use the solar, just tie them up out of the way. Don't hook them up.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    They are the wires for the pre-wired solar.

If you're not going to use the solar, just tie them up out of the way. Don't hook them up.
    Thanks Steve,

Very good to know. Next season when I hook up the batteries I will leave these disconnected.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast