Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane grill recommendation?

Hi Grand Design owners!

We recently bought a Momentum and are looking to add a propane grill to it, mainly for cooking hamburgers, hotdogs, small steaks, etc. Nothing fancy. 😊

I believe I found a quick connect underneath the camper, but looks like it already has something connected to it? Picture here in case it’s helpful:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCE93B92-680D-4AB4-A3EB-E1B7BADEA99B.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	29614

Before I buy something, does anyone have any recommendations ( available on Amazon is a preference ), given my hook up options, which I believe are the quick connect, or simply disconnecting one of the big tanks up front and connecting it there during use?

Many thanks in advance!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what we use now. It will do more than grill burgers. We bought ours at Big 5 Sporting good.
    https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Ta.../dp/B076MFM8LX

The grill we bought had all these accessories in the box
    https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Si...RMG2NFPMKVC6M9
    Last edited by NASCAR9; 09-19-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMClass View Post
    Hi Grand Design owners!

We recently bought a Momentum and are looking to add a propane grill to it, mainly for cooking hamburgers, hotdogs, small steaks, etc. Nothing fancy. [emoji4]

I believe I found a quick connect underneath the camper, but looks like it already has something connected to it? Picture here in case it’s helpful:

Before I buy something, does anyone have any recommendations ( available on Amazon is a preference ), given my hook up options, which I believe are the quick connect, or simply disconnecting one of the big tanks up front and connecting it there during use?

Many thanks in advance!
    You can also look at adding a quick disconnect Y adapter to split the Propane Supply.

Hard to tell from the photo if you have enough space to make this work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z511ZRL..._JnIzFb7MCKAFY

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD
    2017 308BHTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jguzek View Post
    You can also look at adding a quick disconnect Y adapter to split the Propane Supply.

Hard to tell from the photo if you have enough space to make this work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z511ZRL..._JnIzFb7MCKAFY

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    I really like this idea, thank you! I’ll look into this for sure. I’m also not clear what is already connected to the quick connection...but I’m guessing it needs to be there. [emoji1787]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    This is what we use now. It will do more than grill burgers. We bought ours at Big 5 Sporting good.
    https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Ta.../dp/B076MFM8LX

The grill we bought had all these accessories in the box
    https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Si...RMG2NFPMKVC6M9
    Thanks for the recommendation! Do you find the little gas bottles a pain? I’d been trying to avoid that as I wondered how quickly we would blow through those small bottles.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You found the wrong connection. That line is probably attached to your fridge or stove. Unfortunately you did not post your unit information. Go to the GD web site and pull up your trailer. They usually show the fitting location on the floor plan. GD provides a T fitting with valve curbside specifically for attaching grills etc. Keep looking along the curb side edge. Mine had a tag on it and was about mid unit.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    You found the wrong connection. That line is probably attached to your fridge or stove. Unfortunately you did not post your unit information. Go to the GD web site and pull up your trailer. They usually show the fitting location on the floor plan. GD provides a T fitting with valve curbside specifically for attaching grills etc. Keep looking along the curb side edge. Mine had a tag on it and was about mid unit.
    Apologies! It’s a 2018 Momentum 351M...I did take a pretty thorough look around the underside and this was the only thing I saw, but let me try and find the floor plan diagram you mentioned.

If I don’t have another connection, I’m assuming it might not be a good idea to add a Y connection to the one I pictured if it’s connected to the fridge or stove?

Thank you all again, this is so helpful ( this is my first RV! ). [emoji4]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMClass View Post
    We recently bought a Momentum and are looking to add a propane grill to it, mainly for cooking hamburgers, hotdogs, small steaks, etc. Nothing fancy. I believe I found a quick connect underneath the camper, but looks like it already has something connected to it? Picture here in case it’s helpful:

Blackstone griddles like the one @NASCAR9 recommends above are very popular - some guys have posted adoringly about them. However they are griddles where your food cooks on a hot flat piece of steel, rather than grills where your food cooks on bars over open flames.

We have one of the Weber 'Q' model grills that has worked OK for us for several years. It doesn't get even close to as blazing-hot as a home gas bbq - which is how I like to cook - but in three years we've turned out all of the foods you listed on it and more.

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/g...cues/q-series/

Most small table-top grills and griddles are designed to run on the little one-pound cans of propane (like the green Coleman ones). In order to use these cookers with your trailer's propane system they have to be modified, which usually isn't hard to do.

The grill/griddle's regulator can usually be un-screwed and removed (because the propane supply in your trailer is already pressure-regulated) and quick-connect adapters and fittings are purchased to attach to the grill/griddle where the regulator was. A hose with the appropriate fittings is also required. Some RV stores sell kits with all fittings and hose required for the conversion - we bought one several years ago at General RV for about $70.

Regarding the "quick-connect" fitting you already have, I don't know your trailer and don't want to guess what the gas lines in your photo are doing. However I can tell you that our trailer has a connection like that using a quick-connect fitting that is not intended to be disconnected - probably used by the factory for their convenience, not ours.

Our trailer had an outdoor kitchen option that we instructed the dealer to remove, and that left us the bonus of a convenient quick-connect fitting with a valve-lock lever on it to ensure secure connection and no leaking when not in use.

Name:	CurbsidePropaneHookup_01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	29620 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CurbsidePropaneHookup_02.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	29621

[EDIT: the site has rotated those photos 90 degrees counter-clockwise, consider that as you read on.]

The valve lock control is the black lever on the right side. It is connected to supply way over on the other side of the trailer, connected just below the regulator to the T-fitting you can see there. I'd guess that GD chose to do it this way rather than mess with fittings and another regulator at the tank on the park side of the trailer where you'll typically want to be cooking. It also has the advantage of the full supply of propane available in the trailer, rather than just what's in the park side tank when you want to cook.

It's a nice setup, but a bit of work. Alternatively you can just pick up a hose to attach to the park side propane tank, and the fittings required to attach to your modified grill/griddle.

However you approach connecting it, just be certain before you buy that your grill/griddle will let you easily remove its regulator and install the quick-connect fittings on it.

Or, just settle for using the little propane bottles.

Good luck with your choices.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-19-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the Coleman Roadtrip 285 and wanted to connect it to the rig's outside propane quick connect, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the pressure regulator on the grill. So I purchased a hose to connect to the rig's propane directly. I'm pleased with how the grill works and how easy it is to setup and take down, not so pleased that I cannot connect it to the rig's quick-connect. Good luck with your selection and grilling, there are a lot to chos

Does anyone know how to remove the regulator on this grill?
    Steve Kuzmeski
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast