Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Durango plus a 261BH?

I have a 2020 Durango SRT with a tow rating of 8700 pounds. We are looking at a 261BH as our first TT. It will be me, the wife, 2 kids (10 and 6), and 2 large dogs. Using KYD's spreadsheet, the numbers work, but it's close. I will only have about 160# of payload left on the Durango, and about 800# left on the GCVW. As part of the deal, the dealer is installing a Reese Straightline WDH with the Dual Cam sway control.

To dip our feet into the RV world, we rented a Coachmen Freedom Express 25SE over Labor Day. It's 2 feet shorter and it's GVWR is only 300# less than the 261BH. With a WDH (no sway control) it towed remarkably well.

Am I going to be cutting it too close? I know if we were to travel with fluids in the tanks, it would likely put us over at least one of the limits, but the plan initially is to just visit parks with full hookups. The Durango is only 6 months old, so no way the wife is going to OK a bigger tow vehicle, nor do I want to give it up.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the payload capacity listed inside the driver side door? This trailer is 7500 lb GVWR putting you tongue weight somewhere between 750 and 1,125 lb. Two large dogs, two adults and two kids is probably 500 lb on the low end. The WDH is another 100 lb. Add int he weight of whatever else is in the car and you have your payload number. That 392 hemi will pull it just fine but it is a longer trailer and sway could be an issue. Ultimately, it is all about how confident you feel towing if you are within specs.

Things I would check:

- Payload rating vs. payload
    - Rear axle rating
    - Hitch rating w/ WDH

The closer you get to GCVW, the more strain you put on the transmission. That extra load on the transmission generates extra heat which will break the fluid down faster. Just something to keep in mind.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the reese straightline wdh hitch from pro pride and have dealer install. Pro Pride will credit cost of straight line hitch to cost of real wdh hitch if sway becomes an issue. Straight Line or pro pride are definitely way to go.

Fyi...payload capacity doesn't include gas. Almost guarentee you will be overweight. Ford expeditions are entry level tow vehicles, but even they have minimum 1400-1900lb payload capacity and 9300lb tow rating for 30ft trailers. Check your hitch tongue rating on vehicle. If its 800lbs or less, you are pushing too much.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EC0387 View Post
    What is the payload capacity listed inside the driver side door? This trailer is 7500 lb GVWR putting you tongue weight somewhere between 750 and 1,125 lb. Two large dogs, two adults and two kids is probably 500 lb on the low end. The WDH is another 100 lb. Add int he weight of whatever else is in the car and you have your payload number. That 392 hemi will pull it just fine but it is a longer trailer and sway could be an issue. Ultimately, it is all about how confident you feel towing if you are within specs.

Things I would check:

- Payload rating vs. payload
    - Rear axle rating
    - Hitch rating w/ WDH

The closer you get to GCVW, the more strain you put on the transmission. That extra load on the transmission generates extra heat which will break the fluid down faster. Just something to keep in mind.
    I was estimating 800 total for everyone (wife and I are roundy ). We really wouldn't travel with much else inside the vehicle itself. However, I was using a payload of 1590 that I found online, but after checking, the door sticker says only 1200. That would put me 230# over on the payload number. And that was using the listed hitch weight from the GD website, which would likely be higher in real life.

On the Durango forums, the rear axle weight is something they seem to struggle with when towing. Unfortunately, I would need to hook up and hit a scale to accurately determine that.

I don't see this working.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, seems that 1200# payload is not accurate. I'm reading I should do GVWR - the actual weight (scaled) to get real payload number.