Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 337 Brakes

We had to have the tires aligned today. We have about 16K on the original Westlake tires, but I noticed that the curb side front was scrubbing quite a bit.

After the alignment when we were hooking up I did the usual pull test, but this time I did not have any chocks in the wheels so I pulled the pin on the safety break away switch. On my last 5er, this would immediately lock the tires and they would not turn at all. On the Reflection, it did not lock the tires and I could roll them while doing the pull test. They did not roll easy, but they were not locked either. I had the brakes adjusted about 5K ago and they act much better under normal braking than they did before adjustment.

Does the trailer break away switch lock up your brakes or do your tires still roll?

Thanks,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Do you mean you had the tires balanced or did you actually get the trailer aligned with the Correct Track system? As to your specific question, I've never pulled the pin on any trailer so I don't know what exactly to expect but am eager to hear.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't know why the factory doesn't put self adjusting brakes on all their trailers. A fifth wheel can be a pain to adjust the brakes on.

Norcalrv1
    When that pin pulls the brakes are to be applied and the trailer will not move. Mine got pulled when I was backing into the tight spot and until I had the pin reconnected I could not move it. My trailer was the same way. It only happens when traffic is waiting for you-that seems to be a requirement.

Rod Zebb
    Fairfield, CA.
    2014 337 RLS 263
    2014 RAM 3500

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The axles were aligned. They did not mess with the Correct Track System as they said that was set for the suspension and the load on each side. They loosened the U-Bolts and actually moved the axles to align everything up true to the two axles and the frame. We will see as we have a few thousand miles to cover before we get back home.
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's interesting because that's exactly what I thought the Correct Track was for. Good luck on your trip home and let us know how it goes.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi George,

This kind of doesn't make sense. The axles are located on the springs by a pin in a hole. There is no adjustment.
    Having said this, I know that on my rig, the left side wheels are 1/4" further apart than on the right side because of the heavier weight on that side. The Correct Track system is supposed to be able to "correct" for this. I'm watching my tires carefully for wrong wear signs . . . Haven't seen anything yet.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my 337, the brakes would only lock up for about 2500 miles after they were properly adjusted. That was my clue to crawl under and readjust them. Lippert recommends every 3000 miles or three months.

I put self adjusting brakes on it and now I don't have the hassle of brake adjustment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim,

I thought that might be the case. I don't know that these would ever lock the wheels though.

I guess I will have to crawl under there and see if I can adjust them.

Thanks,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accidently pulled the pin in some sharp manuvering backing out of a residence for a bday party. The trailer tires were on asphalt, truck was still in hard dirt. It felt like I hit something when it stopped so hard and I was giving it more gas trying to move it. It wouldn't move. I prob only had about 2,000 miles on it at the time though.

Side note - I used to pull the pin on our old TT, kind of like a parking brake, Do Not do this! One day at a campground I kept smelling something burning outside, finally found I had melted the box that the plug goes in. Not designed for parking brake. Sometimes I gotta learn the hard way. :-)
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast