Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic Refrigerator in new 2600RB Not Working

Picked up our new 2600RB about a month ago. Refrigerator was working fine during PDI on AC power (didn’t switch it to gas - should have). Brought it home and it sat for about 2 weeks before our first trip. With the trailer level, I plugged the trailer into house power (15 amp) and turned the refrigerator on 24 hrs before we left. It was nice and cold when we left and I turned it off. When we got to the campground and plugged in, I turned the refrigerator back on, on AC. Control panel was normal with no faults indicated and frig was still cool. We went and had dinner, and bought a few groceries. Put them in the refrigerator and went to bed early. The next morning everything was warm even though the control panel looked normal. Switched it to gas and got a couple of errors on the panel until the gas line was purged, then the burner lit and panel showed normal operation. After 10 hrs it was exactly the same temp - almost 90 degs. Called the dealer and he said he’d send a tech the next morning.

I then ran diagnostics. The 5 amp control fuse was good. There was 12 volt control power incoming from the converter as well as the battery. 115 volt power was present, and the burner tube was hot as well as the sensor. Seemed like it should be working. Shut it down overnight. Next morning switched it to AC and it was drawing about 600 watts (turned it Off then back On). And the sensor got hot (used an infrared camera to verify). But it never even tried to cool. When the tech came (older guy, “been doing this a long time”) he did his diagnostics and said “it all looks good. Should be working on AC or gas. Not seeing any yellow residue which you usually see if ammonia has been leaking. Should be working.” Unit ran on AC for the next 24 hrs and it never cooled at all.

Have any of you ever seen this before? (really sorry this is so long - I tend to explain things with “a story”)
    Last edited by RustyCas; 09-19-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the heating element getting hot?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the element gets hot, on AC and gas. The tech confirmed this. He said it’s a head-scratcher. It’s back at the dealer and should know something this week. Will be my luck that when they turn it on, it works, but then quits on me again.
    Last edited by RustyCas; 09-21-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD 6L
    Husky 32217 Centerline WDH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an old RV tech guy tell me to hook the AC element up directly to 120V, bypassing the control board.
    I had a Norcold but I'm sure Dometic is similar. I removed the outside fridge cover, then the control board cover. I removed the AC wires from the control board, made some jumper wires from some 10-2 house wire. Plugged the fridge in and waited 9 hours. The AC element got hot but the fridge just warmed up inside. If that happens then the cooling unit is bad. That was on a 1.5 year old Norclod that never was out of level except for driving down the road.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    If that happens then the cooling unit is bad.
    Thanks for the input. Sounds very similar. I expect that’s going to be the problem. Hopefully the dealer/Dometic/Grand Design resolves it quickly. It’s camping weather!
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any error codes on the fridge, in place of the internal temp? Mine recently threw an E2. Looking it up, it meant that the thermometer wasn’t getting signal to the board. Turned out to be a broken wire.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, ours doesn’t have ‘codes’ on the panel. There is an ‘Check’ light, but the only time that has ever come on was when I first tried it on gas and the burner didn’t light due to lines not purged. But once the burner lit, it’s never come on again. Electrically & electronically everything works and it “thinks” it’s cooling, so I think it has to be a bad unit. This is our first TT and I was surprised to learn it’s a “closed” system and pressures can’t be checked or coolant added. But I guess that makes sense as it uses ammonia for coolant.
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bough a 2020 2600RB that was 4 months old. Buyers decided rv camping is not for them. Mine did the same thing. Had to replace the cooling unit. Dometic and Grand design did not warranty for me because I was not the original owner.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2600RB (2021) that has the Dometic fridge. It worked flawlessly on our maiden outing (was even cold enough to make ice!). I have read about issues with all brands, I have had Norcold in all of my previous 3 (used) RVs. They have all performed flawlessly on both 120 and gas.