Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1/2 ton Ford vs GMC for towing

I'm pulling the trigger on the 21g and currently have a 2019 GMC AT4 with the 6.2L but it has the 3.23 axle ratio. Says my tow capacity is only 9,300. I'm having a hard time believing the F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost will be a better TV than what I have. I really like my truck and hate to trade to the Ford unless it's going to be a better vehicle for towing.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisholly12 View Post
    I'm pulling the trigger on the 21g and currently have a 2019 GMC AT4 with the 6.2L but it has the 3.23 axle ratio. Says my tow capacity is only 9,300. I'm having a hard time believing the F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost will be a better TV than what I have. I really like my truck and hate to trade to the Ford unless it's going to be a better vehicle for towing.
    I’m not saying either brand is better for towing than the other but you don’t currently have the optimal towing option within your current brand. A 1500 Sierra with the max trailering package has more payload and towing capacity. It is the same with Ford. You can buy the equivalent of the AT4 and it will not be the optimal towing option either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Feather View Post
    I’m not saying either brand is better for towing than the other but you don’t currently have the optimal towing option within your current brand. A 1500 Sierra with the max trailering package has more payload and towing capacity. It is the same with Ford. You can buy the equivalent of the AT4 and it will not be the optimal towing option either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This.

Both brands tow fine when optioned appropriately. You should pay more attention to payload than tow capacity anyway with a 1500. #s that matter - GAWR, GCWR, GVWR. #s that only matter for advertising - tow capacity (which is directly related to GCW). Either motor has plenty of power, it’s the rest of the components limiting capacity.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisholly12 View Post
    Welcome to the forum chrisholly12,

21G owner here. The Vehicle Information Weight Sheet for my 21G with installed generator states that the Hitch Weight was 1152 pounds when it left the factory without battery or full propane tanks. You will need a tow vehicle that has enough payload capacity for that hitch weight plus hitch, weight of contents of truck bed and passengers. Also the factory installed hitch on most half ton trucks are not rated for that much weight. My 2500 ram hitch was only rated for 1200 pounds. I installed a hitch with higher rating.

The payload of most half ton trucks is the most critical weight you have to keep an eye on.

Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Properly equipped, an F150 can have a 3230lb payload. Differently equipped, the payload can be as low as 1,000lbs. A GM is probably similar, so you need to pay attention to the details.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana