User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning on living room slide

We are excited to pick up our new 337rls next week. We are trading in our Yellowstone Aztec with a very similar floor plan but after 3 years with the Aztec, we had things that just did work for us. The Reflection addressed all of those issues for us so we made the trade.

There was one thing on the to-do list for the Aztec that is also not on the reflection. We think that the living room slide could also use an awning. Has anyone done this upgrade? Do you have pics we could see?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about what others call slide toppers, there is a photo of one on a Solitude LR slide in this thread.
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...side-slide-out

But if you're talking about an actual awning, I don't know that I have ever seen/heard of anyone adding it above a 337 LR slide.
    It would have to be a very wide awning to be of much value, and you may not have enough room between the door and the slide to mount the awning arm.

I don't have access to my 337 right now, so I can't check the clearance for you. My recollection is that the left arm support on the stock awning is already fairly close to the LR slide, just beyond the door frame.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, not a slide topper. This would be a separate awning mounted to the slide itself. We find that about 75% of the time, we want the awning where the living room slide is. So, we were thinking about adding an awning on the slide itself. We find that with the slide out, and the normal awning being so far forward, this often puts us sitting closer to the road than we want, or the slide is blocking our view. We frequently use our pop up awning but a permanent would look a whole lot better. I have seen them offered of some units, Cardinal I think. I was curious to see if anyone here had done it so that we could see what the result looked like.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I understand what you are talking about.
    Never seen it, but sounds like a good idea.

I think your answer will depend on whether the slideout framing is constructed in such a way as to allow mounting the supports directly on the slide. You would probably have to place the supports on the main part of the slide, not the trim pieces/flanges at the top and sides.
    I confirmed by looking at a photo of mine that there is not enough room to mount another support arm on the main cabin to the left of the door frame because there is already one there.

You could post this question in the Tech Corner of the Manufacturer's area of this forum and Grand Design should get back to you with an answer. Good luck. I'm also now interested in seeing how that would work.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wouldn't be able to mount a full awning on one of the sliders.

The structure of the slide unit is a kin to a big plywood box. It just doesn't have the structural integrity to be pulled out on the top, pushed in at the bottom and be extended at the same time.

If you mounted an awning above the slide unit, the slider would take up 3' of the awning's width--and what's left is not room to make the investment worthwhile.

They do have small window awnings that can be mounted above the windows--to minimize sun coming through the windows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, there are a number of campers now that have factory installed powered awnings on the living room slide. We had one installed by the dealer on our previous camper and loved it. The slide had five large windows which provided a great view but the heat build up was almost too much for the A/C. Having the awning helped greatly with the heat and also gave us a lot more shade outside.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    Actually, there are a number of campers now that have factory installed powered awnings on the living room slide. We had one installed by the dealer on our previous camper and loved it. The slide had five large windows which provided a great view but the heat build up was almost too much for the A/C. Having the awning helped greatly with the heat and also gave us a lot more shade outside.
    Do you have any pics of that setup? and what brand did you go with? Interested in doing this very thing on my Momuntum 385. Thanks
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockwood has the awning installed at the factory. I inquired about doing this on my Reflection but my dealer advised against it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 248.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	1678

Name:	Image 247.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	1679

Name:	Image 249.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1680
    This travel trailer also has one on the slide.

Name:	Image 250.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	1681
    Paul
    North Bay, Ontario
    2014 Reflection 293RES
    VIN # 200283
    2014 Ram 2500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliwalnutz View Post
    Rockwood has the awning installed at the factory. I inquired about doing this on my Reflection but my dealer advised against it.

This travel trailer also has one on the slide.
    As the awning is a factory offering, the side room wall will have metal backer added when laminated where the awning rail and arms mount...that's not the case with Reflection. I suppose you can attach with special rivets but may not hold the awning rail or arms securely.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD