User Tag List

Thread: Pin Box Upgrade

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin Box Upgrade

Our M399th just arrived at our dealer on Friday afternoon, and we drove down yesterday to do a quick walk about before the dealer adds get started. I took a picture of the stickerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200919_115021.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	29685.

Note the 21k GVWR and 4122# max cargo. The 21k is due to the MoRyde 21k pin box.

I did some calculating, and with all fluids full and our Yamaha side by side in the garage, we're left with around 1,000 in personal items. That's not much. I could get rid of the Yamaha (1,300#), but that pretty much defeats the purpose behind a toy hauler.

I know the issue of CCC has been discussed at length in here, but I really need to find a way to get above 1,000#. It seems the easiest way is to find a pin box rated between 21k-24k. This begs the question:

Are there pin boxes rated above 21k for the Momentum series of toy haulers?

If so, can you point me to them?

I have put this question to the dealer and the local GD Rep, but don't expect to hear back for a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your GVWR is not determined by the pinbox.

The pinbox they use is to cover the GVWR of the trailer.

Your frame, tires, springs, brakes, etc determine GVWR.

If you put a higher rated pinbox on it and load it over the 21K and things fall apart, don't cry to anyone but a mirror.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve (huntr70) is correct. Installing a higher rated pin box will not solve your issue. One question I have is when you calculated your weights, how did you come up with your figures? I have a 381. On our maiden voyage, I had our 2 quads (750 lbs each for a total of 1,500 lbs), full fresh water and fuel, fully equipped kitchen, food and adult beverages for 4 days (this was Thanksgiving and we brought extra stuff for the dinner), patio chairs and tables and stuff, and enough clothes and personal items for us and 2 fur-kids. First place we hit was the scales and we came in just over 19k lbs total trailer weight.

With the liquids, don't go by full fresh water and full waste water because that doesn't happen. Logically speaking, if you're boondocking, you'll bring full fresh water but empty waste tanks. Otherwise, where would your waste go? At the end of your trip, the fresh water would now be in your waste tanks, and your fresh water tank empty. If your at a camp ground, you'll dump before leaving, so in that case, your waste tanks will be empty. I can't think of a reasonable scenario where all your tanks would be full.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truck can handle 14k GVWR. According to GD, the pin box is indeed the limiting factor on this trailer's build. If they had installed a higher rated pin box, the GVWR of the trailer would have increased. This is straight from GD.

I have no intention of going around GD to solve the problem. I was just looking to see what others have seen/done. @huntr70, I should have mentioned that the trailer has the 8k axle upgrade.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW