User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a Ford F-150 with 2.7 EB adequate for pulling an Imagine XLS 22MLE over the Appalachians? I suspect the 3.5 EB would be better but not so easy to find?

Carl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Brian that 22mpg is crazy good mileage, I think this new 10 speed is the cats meow. Who would have thought a 450 with 4:30 gears would get 18-19 at 65-70 mph but mine will. I have not towed very far with it yet but next month will be it's first test, about 500 miles to Lake Conroe and back. My '19 350 with 3:55 gears and a 6 spd would only get 10 mpg max towing my Solitude the same trip so this will be a good comparison. Here's a shot running empty to Houston last month, cruise on 70, not sure the gas 7.3 can touch that.Attachment 29738
    This image and a lot of the other quotes of fuel efficiency, puts this question in my mind: how many of you compare what the digital read-out shows to actual calculations with careful efforts to fill the tank to the same level each time? I have not ever owned a vehicle that displays mpg so have never had the opportunity to compare those two numbers and just wonder how accurate can it really be. It is, after-all, just reading fuel flow at any given moment in time and comparing that to speed and distance, but it has no way of knowing how full you had your tank from one fill up to the next and it has no way of looking at the real fuel usage over 500 miles. So, my curiosity is peaked about electronic estimates compared to real world calculations.
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is kinda on topic. I have a Newmar Ventana LE with Cummins 6.7 (yep truck engine) 41.3 foot Class A diesel pusher. This engine is rated for 360 HP and 800 torque and has 6 speed Allison transmission. The Motorhome has a GVWR of 36,400 (7224 CC)and GCWR of 42,400 and we tow a Jeep Rubicon which puts our GCWR between 38,000 and 39,000. We have been on 7% grades at Devils Tower and all though Colorado and the Black Hills. Are there times I wish we had the 600HP 1950 pounds torque you bet but I may not the win the race going uphill but I'll get there. I see someone say it pull just fine with 400 HP and 1000 torque it should, heck the engine would probably pull 40,000 to 50,000 just fine so that is not an indication of being safe. I get between 7 and 8 miles to gallon.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 10-05-2020 at 07:15 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post
    This image and a lot of the other quotes of fuel efficiency, puts this question in my mind: how many of you compare what the digital read-out shows to actual calculations with careful efforts to fill the tank to the same level each time? I have not ever owned a vehicle that displays mpg so have never had the opportunity to compare those two numbers and just wonder how accurate can it really be. It is, after-all, just reading fuel flow at any given moment in time and comparing that to speed and distance, but it has no way of knowing how full you had your tank from one fill up to the next and it has no way of looking at the real fuel usage over 500 miles. So, my curiosity is peaked about electronic estimates compared to real world calculations.
    Good question. I've had several vehicles (Fords) over the last few years with the mpg readout in the dash. I have checked them manually several times and they are more accurate than you'd think. They traditionally read a little high but only by about 1 mpg so to me that's close enough. It's kind of interesting on the diesels when they go into regen while running down the highway. You can watch the readout drop...18 17 16 15.5 over the course of a few miles then start climbing back up when it's done.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is "regen"?
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post
    What is "regen"?
    Go to #6 in this article on Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel...r#Regeneration
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MY 04 6.0 power stroke gulp-a-meter is usually within .5 MPG of hand calculating. I have checked it many times. Now on miles to empty it is usually off by a few miles (fortunately says less miles than I have gone) - but that is using the MPG average from the display.

I have gotten over 100 MPG out of it - yep its true . On the down grade out of the Eisenhower tunnel (Colorado I 70) I reset the MPG gauge. As I was coasting it was sure fun to watch the MPG clime, and so said at the bottom when it brought me back to reality as I climbed Vail pass.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Good question. I've had several vehicles (Fords) over the last few years with the mpg readout in the dash. I have checked them manually several times and they are more accurate than you'd think. They traditionally read a little high but only by about 1 mpg so to me that's close enough. It's kind of interesting on the diesels when they go into regen while running down the highway. You can watch the readout drop...18 17 16 15.5 over the course of a few miles then start climbing back up when it's done.
    The Ford gauges, in my experience, don’t count time at idle in park. Not sure how the other brands do this. I like it because it tells me my fuel consumption while driving - I am fully aware that I get 0 mpg in park. But it would skew the hand calculation a small amount like that.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My f350 does count the gas used while idle, I can sit and watch the mpg go down.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec999 View Post
    My f350 does count the gas used while idle, I can sit and watch the mpg go down.
    Same here, mpg reading will drop if you idle long enough. The oil life meter also drops while it is parked and not being driven. I have 1200 miles on the current oil change and the OLM reads 61% remaining! It sits a lot lol.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast