Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would be fine with a 3500 SRW truck with a 3900 lb payload. I have a 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab with a little over 3500 lb Cargo capacity. My pin weight floats between 2900 and 3100 lbs. Probably a little on the closer side of 3100lbs lately but that is also with everything in the vehicle including passengers and the dog. I definitely prefer having my SRW over a DRW because we drive around a lot after unhitching and it's just so much easier finding a parking spot or even going thru a drive thru.

One more thing you need to consider is your vehicles GVWR. If it's only 11,500 lbs then you might be in trouble with a SRW. I'm pushing that number too close for comfort sometimes so I definitely have to make sure I'm not overloaded.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaginer View Post
    Despite many searches on this and other forums, including web and You Tube, I have not yet been able to find an actual "ready to go camping" pin weight on a 337RLS fifth wheel. I understand the general rule is 20% of the GVW on the pin, but I don't trust that math much as most everything heavy in the trailer would be located ahead of the axles, including batteries/propane/fresh water/pass thru storage items and of course clothes/towels/bathroom items upstairs.

With a GVW coming in just a hair under 14k lbs--that puts me at 2800 lbs pin using the 20% standard. That seems rather light. I just ran through an estimate starting with the advertised pin weight of around 2090lbs dry, and added to that based on what I know will be ahead of the axles when I'm done loading it. I came up with just over 3500 lbs. This is getting to the point where it makes a difference whether I buy a 3500 SRW truck (3900 lb payload) or DRW that has way more than we need (over 5,000 lb payload) for this rig--and I'm wondering if I'm over-thinking this deal.

Anyone out there care to share what their (or someone they know) actual pin weight is on a 337RLS?

Thanks!!
    One thread is: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ghlight=337rls

Note that the first set of weights were from an empty trailer - later on our loaded pin weight was 2980 and I suspect it is a little higher now.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not apply to a 337 specifically, but maybe some general food for thought will help.

First, the 20% is not written in stone but a guideline. More weight on the hitch will give a more stable trailer as long as the truck is not overloaded. (Tractor trailers are often as high as 50%). I prefer about 25% on my fifth wheel.

I have also found that advertised weights cannot be trusted. When I first got it, my 300GK was almost 500lb heavier on the pin than it should have been. I should probably post a separate thread on my experience with that. My point with that is that the only way you know what you have is an actual scale weight. Yes, it takes time and several loadings and unloadings, but I think its worth it.

What I have found through the process of checking weight ratings and doing all the calculations is that because most of these setups are so close to all the limits, it still comes down to hooking it up and driving it. Like many others here, even though is was within all the specs on paper, I upgraded the truck anyway.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 337, with gear and a couple weeks if clothes has a pin weight of 2620. Basement has 4 chairs, tools, pinbox tripod, small grill, hoses and cables, and a small webber grill. Hope this helps answer your question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12