Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to add gateway to Winegard Air360 Plus antenna

I recently purchased a Winegard GW-1000 gateway to add to the Winegard Air 360+ antenna on our 2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH. There are two ways that are recommended to install. (1)inside under the unit if there is a cap on the ceiling with pre-wiring. Ours does not have this. (2) In the dome on the roof. Unfortunately, the manufacturer or dealer put about a 1/2 of sealant around the entire perimeter of the dome so I would have to cut all that away, reseal, risk leaks, etc to get it open to install here. I am curious if there is another way such as where the antenna wiring is run to the TV, or the Coax hub in the front storage compartment?

I have many strengths by networking stuff like this is not one of them. LOL. I appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Geren

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you have a 360+ and not a 360? My '21 Solitude came with a 360, not 360+. If you don't have the ceiling cap, my money says you have a 360. I replaced my 360 with a 360+ and gateway inside the camper. If you install the gateway inside the dome, it becomes almost impossible to service.
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I double checked, it is the Air 360+.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 also came with the Air 360+ and I unfortunately have ceiling cap.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    My 2020 also came with the Air 360+ and I unfortunately have ceiling cap.

Unfortunately have a ceiling cap? The cap makes it easier to add the Gateway should you choose.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ganderson92 View Post
    I double checked, it is the Air 360+.

I stand corrected. The good news is you have a 360+. The bad news is you don’t have the ceiling cap. To install the gateway, you need to get cable from the 360+. If you can pinpoint the location of the 360+ on your roof, you could probably just drill up into the unit and get the wire to go on and complete the installation. I don’t have the installation instructions handy, but that seems doable. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Unfortunately have a ceiling cap? The cap makes it easier to add the Gateway should you choose.
    Oops my 22mle does not have the ceiling cap. I missed 1 word that changed everything.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found this today - install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYhfu3qq22g

Also, after doing a bit of research you'll find the unit either is horrible and not worth it, or awesome. Configuration and data plan matters.
    Throw out the Winegard simcard - it's overpriced and only used 2.5g so it totally blows.
    You can swap out to an ATT or Verizon simcard for a true 4G system.
    There is also some confusion from Winegard proper if this works as a simple boost antenna, for use with hot-spotting another device such as your phone or a Verizon Jetpack, for example. I spoke with a Winegard rep today who seemed a little confused, but she said the unit will not work as 4G boost without a simcard in it, which doesn't sound correct.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Just found this today - install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYhfu3qq22g

Also, after doing a bit of research you'll find the unit either is horrible and not worth it, or awesome. Configuration and data plan matters.
    Throw out the Winegard simcard - it's overpriced and only used 2.5g so it totally blows.
    You can swap out to an ATT or Verizon simcard for a true 4G system.
    There is also some confusion from Winegard proper if this works as a simple boost antenna, for use with hot-spotting another device such as your phone or a Verizon Jetpack, for example. I spoke with a Winegard rep today who seemed a little confused, but she said the unit will not work as 4G boost without a simcard in it, which doesn't sound correct.
    Has anyone added the gateway to the 360+, and if so does it boost cell and data as well as wi fi ?
    Thanks
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoetzel View Post
    Has anyone added the gateway to the 360+, and if so does it boost cell and data as well as wi fi ?
    Thanks
    I have added it. Comments:

• There are 3 or 4 leads that plug into the gateway from the rooftop-mounted 360+, so you can’t really run those very far. Those leads are the antennas for LTE and WiFi.
    • The gateway needs 12v, which I found under the cap in the ceiling along with the antenna leads. Those wires should terminate somewhere close to the underside of the 360+ on the roof.
    • The signal on the roof is better than the signal you get inside the rig, but keep in mind the gateway is a WiFi repeater. So while you get a better signal, the speed/latency may be slower, especially with poor connections.
    • It does NOTHING to improve the reception of your phone(s) on their own, it does not boost the LTE signal to unconnected devices.
    • I replaced the Winegard sim (AT&T logo on it) with a T-Mobile sim. I was in a park with 1 bar on my phone, and got 3 bars on the gateway. Phone was sub-1mb speed test, gateway was nearly 3mb.
    • Gateway has an Ethernet port if you are adventurous enough to run a CAT-5/6 cable in your roof, I tested this since Winegard was no help, and was able to plug my NAS into it and serve up content to the TV.

Miracle device? Not by a longshot. Can be frustrating when WiFi or LTE signals are spotty, but it seems to do a bit better than hotspotting to a phone. WiFi or LTE, the occasional buffering on Netflix/Prime remains.
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 F250 6.7 Powerstroke HCTP
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast