Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane over pressure/bad regulator

Connected a 100# tank to one pig tail on auto change valve. when I use grill on quick connect line it discharges very high pressure gas when control knob is first opened to light. If I dont do this to bleed off the over pressure inside gas stove and gas water heater will not light. I'm guessing both have overpressure valves that don't allow them to open if pressure is too high. Is this just a bad regulator ? Thanks for any helpful replies.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just that 1 tank that's doing this?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have an issue with the regulator. After shut off it is equalizing the high and low pressure sides. As you noticed once a valve is open the pressure drops. I wouldn't be sure the pressure in the manifold is right after you turn on something and light a flame. You would need a gauge to be certain. The stove and water won't light because the flame is being blown out by the volume of gas going past the spark. That is pretty dangerous and should be avoided as gas could accumulate and then ignite suddenly where it gathers or in a way you don't it to.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I have only been drawing from the 100# tank. I didnt think it would matter being tank size should not have any effect on pressure, but this weekend I will switch to 20# only.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    You have an issue with the regulator. After shut off it is equalizing the high and low pressure sides. As you noticed once a valve is open the pressure drops. I wouldn't be sure the pressure in the manifold is right after you turn on something and light a flame. You would need a gauge to be certain. The stove and water won't light because the flame is being blown out by the volume of gas going past the spark. That is pretty dangerous and should be avoided as gas could accumulate and then ignite suddenly where it gathers or in a way you don't it to.
    I suspect it is a regulator issue and what you described is my concern, but I believe a safety device has been engineered to prevent it. My camp chef stove will still light with the high pressure it just sounds like a jet engine. The camper and hot water heater will not light because gas is not being released. When the camper stove burner is turned on I do not hear any gas and it will not light with open flame which makes me believe there is some kind of overpressure safety mechanism somewhere otherwise hot water heaters would be blowing up more often.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I suspect it is a regulator issue and what you described is my concern, but I believe a safety device has been engineered to prevent it. My camp chef stove will still light with the high pressure it just sounds like a jet engine. The camper and hot water heater will not light because gas is not being released. When the camper stove burner is turned on I do not hear any gas and it will not light with open flame which makes me believe there is some kind of overpressure safety mechanism somewhere otherwise hot water heaters would be blowing up more often.
    Now that you clarified it better I'd say you have a point, there may be "dry break" or "safety break" fittings in the system. I don't see them readily in mine or I'd point you in a direction. If it were me they would be at a bottle. I would look for a "tee" where the supply for the WH and stove branch off and see if there is one. It may be they put it so one leg is protected and the other not.
    There was a thread on these forums where another was having an issue with them. If you can find it in a search it should help.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-22-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Now that you clarified it better I'd say you have a point, there may be "dry break" or "safety break" fittings in the system. I don't see them readily in mine or I'd point you in a direction. If it were me they would be at a bottle. I would look for a "tee" where the supply for the WH and stove branch off and see if there is one. It may be they put it so one leg is protected and the other not.
    There was a thread on these forums where another was having an issue with them. If you can find it in a search it should help.
    Just got bounced back and forth between to service departments and the consensus is bad auto switching/regulator valve. one of the two service departments should be sending me new auto switching/regulator valve. Service calls are into November so this is a owner swap. I did confirm both hot water and camper stove have valves that sense over pressure and will not open. I think I'll keep both gas heaters off and just run electric until I get this changed. Thanks again for all the input.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got bounced back and forth between to service departments and the consensus is bad auto switching/regulator valve. one of the two service departments should be sending me new auto switching/regulator valve. Service calls are into November so this is a owner swap. I did confirm both hot water and camper stove have valves that sense over pressure and will not open. I think I'll keep both gas heaters off and just run electric until I get this changed. Thanks again for all the input.
    It's an easy task to swap the regulator. Get some gas-compatible sealing tape (they're not all gas-compatible) and leak-check solution (I've found that the bought stuff works better than solution I make with dish soap - maybe the problem is me).

Welcome to the forum. There are SO many guys here - one is too many - that have talked about "pulling the Trigger" on this or that purchase so it's nice to finally meet the Trigger. I'm not going to pull you though... not that kinda guy.

Good luck with the regulator swap.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info thanks for sharing. Let us know how it goes after the swap.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My regulator lasted about a week, must be a very cheap one from the factory. Replaced it and the rubber lines on one of my many trips for warranty work.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold