User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Banaman about the interiors of the Fords but the Cummins motor I believe has 40% fewer parts to break.
    Scott & Carol Albuquerque, New Mexico
    2012 Ram 2500 Bagged, Tweaked Hard
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Onan RV 5500 LP
    50 amp direct wired surge guard
    Go Power 3000 watt Inverter
    F1103110

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram fan . . . never even considered them because of ancient history by family members. But . . . . . . there has to be a reason that most of the 5th wheel delivery trucks are Ram 3500 duallies.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason that there are so many ram trucks are out there is because they are cheap and dealers are turning themselves into pretzels giving discounts. The engine is great without a doubt, but there is more to a vehicle than the engine.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it is true I only have 50k miles on mine towing, so far tires, oil, and fuel. It has never been in the shop once with only one recall.
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Onan RV 5500 LP
    F1103110

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this friendly banter. Between myself and my two camping buddies we own a Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. And while they all have pros and cons, we consistently agree the perfect truck would be a Ford Cab and Chassis, with a Cummins engine, and Allison transmission! The dodge owner pulls a 42' toy hauler 5er, Chevy pulls a 34' TT, and I pull a 37' TT.
    And as much as it pains me to say, the Chevy has hauled both of us home due to breakdowns in the past 2 years. As a result I have traded for a newer Ford, and the dodge has been upgraded as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last truck was a 96 Fummins that my son in law built. It was a monster.
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Onan RV 5500 LP
    F1103110

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abqscott View Post
    I agree with Banaman about the interiors of the Fords but the Cummins motor I believe has 40% fewer parts to break.
    The best part of any diesel is they just simply don't break if you change oil religiously. The weakness in any driveline is the transmission, and it's heat that usually breaks them. A $150 auxiliary transmission cooler is the best insurance to their long life.

While Ram sales are rising, Ford continues to sell more "light" diesels than Ram and Chevy combined. GM's Isuzu diesels seem to be the loser. Ram's 2014 and 2015 redesigned trucks have much more expensive interiors and cabs than in the past, and Fiat-Chrysler doesn't have a big price advantage on the others with more expensive components.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to say, looking at trucks and test driving, the Ram Cummins and Aisin trans is a good set up. The rear end ratios are a good match for it to. From me asking question I have found that the cab does not have to come off the Ram for any engine maintenance, and Ford still has to remove cab for certain engine work. But the maintenance guys could of been blowing smoke. But got to say this , when you open the hood on a Ram and Ford, one being 6 cyl and one being 8 cyl, both have no room in the engine compartment, do believe the engine compartment has gotten smaller. Hootie

droidguru
    Not to add a log to the fire, but I have owned all three brands (my current truck is a Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel) it was the best value during my search (price blended with tech specs). I can without a doubt say all three were more then capable of hauling and towing (they all do/did it well) and I can't really say one did it better then the other. As a note I had fewer problems with the ford (0) as compared to the chevy (1) but honestly that could have been luck or the way I drove them. The Chevy issue was covered under warranty.

So all in all, go with what fits. Look at the tow specs and buy for the trailer you are going to own (not the one you have) and most of all life is too short......enjoy it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12