User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

351M generator won’t start from control panel, but will manually...

Our generator has never started from the control panel, but will if I go outside and do what I show in the picture attached. Basically push the start button and gently pull down the arm shown in the picture, and it fires right up.

Any ideas on how I can get it to do this from the control panel inside without having to go outside and do this?

For the record, when I hold the start button on the inside panel it does crank, just doesn’t start.

Thanks as always!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3389.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	29731

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone...anyone? [emoji51]

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the propane version of that generator but will take a stab at this. Are you holding the inside start switch to off for a few seconds before pushing to start? I remember reading that performs a "prime" or choke feature on the gas models. I think when you pull that lever on the generator itself you are doing the same function. You can see two wires on that black object connected to the lever you're pulling, looks just like a choke valve from the old automotive carb days. Might be worth a try.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I have the propane version of that generator but will take a stab at this. Are you holding the inside start switch to off for a few seconds before pushing to start? I remember reading that performs a "prime" or choke feature on the gas models. I think when you pull that lever on the generator itself you are doing the same function. You can see two wires on that black object connected to the lever you're pulling, looks just like a choke valve from the old automotive carb days. Might be worth a try.
    Thank you so much! I’ll be able to give this a try tomorrow and will update here. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMClass View Post
    Thank you so much! I’ll be able to give this a try tomorrow and will update here. Thanks again!
    Never heard back from you, were you able to get the starting issue resolved?
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Never heard back from you, were you able to get the starting issue resolved?
    Still haven’t made it to storage to test it out...as soon as I do I’ll report back. [emoji4]