User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter in North Carolina

Hello everyone,

This year we will be FT living in our new 397. We will be in North Carolina this whole winter in the Elizabeth City area. I just wanted to ask for some good tips for getting through the winter. We did have some upgraded options on our unit. DP windows, Heat Pump A/C and a few others. Any good feedback would be great.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always keep a couple of small (high quality) space heaters in our camper as backups. I've seen people feed their water hoses into an insulated box with a candelescent 100 watt bulb in there for heat. I've been known to leave a faucet dripping a little water. I've also been known to bring the water hose inside to keep it from freezing at night.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are numerous discussions on winter living tips. If you use the search function on the forum you should be able to find some of those topics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter in North Carolina probably won't be so bad. Any further north, and you'd want to skirt your rig. What I've learned about winter is this:
    1. Get a heated water hose and use it in the winter. When you get those rare dips into the 20s, your water will still run.
    2. Do NOT rely on electric heaters. Always make sure you furnace will run a little each hour if the temps get into the 30s or lower. I've heard too many accounts of neighbors having water lines freeze and leak.
    3. It's a good idea to have a 20lb propane tank handy. This will be good for an outdoor grill and also serves as a spare in case you procrastinate making a propane trip and empty both tanks--happened to me once.
    4. Step rugs. If you ever do get freezing temperatures, those aluminum steps can get very slick.
    5. Air the trailer out every so often. Humidity will tend to build in the winter. In the summer this is not an issue, because the AC units act as dehumidifiers. But you don't use them in the winter.

Other than that, have fun and make sure you get out. It can get claustrophobic in there after too long. But from the sounds of it, you've got a bigger rig.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little update. So far so good. We have had some temps in the low 20's, most of the time its been in the low 30's at night. Between using the heat pump, fireplace and heater (depending on temps) we have not had one issue with anything freezing up. Propane use is 3-7 days depending on how I run the heater. I did get a elec space heater for the garage (sons room) and it makes a huge difference. Enjoying the FT living and love my 397.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are also spending our first winter in a colder environment. North Georgia mountains. Staying very comfortable using mainly the furnace. Fireplace in the evenings keeps us cozy. No moisture or humidity problems. We also have DP windows, Heat Pump & generator. Generator came in handy a couple of times when the power went out. I like it here especially when we get the warmer days. But even the cold days are not bad enough to keep us inside often.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73