User Tag List

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar package from GD worth it?

Total solar newby here. Not totally new to RV's but close. Wondering if the $1685 for the 300w panel and the 1000w inverter is a worthwhile investment. We will be staying in a couple of different places that won't have shore power when we are riding our SXS. I realize 1000w isn't that much but trying to decide if adding the solar package has an advantage over just starting from scratch with the solar prep already on the 31G. Both places we plan to go we should be able to run the genset whenever we want but not 100% for sure that every place will be like that. Thanks for any help.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no expert, but I have been researching different systems for a long time now. Seems you can get a basic 100 watt solar kit for around $150 and 100 watt panels for like $100 each so that's probably like $350 worth of hardware. Add a 1000 watt inverter maybe another $100 so basically around $500 worth of hardware. So from that perspective it's not worth it. However you can look at it like you are paying a $1,000 premium for having it all installed and ready to go. If you are able to install a system yourself, I would rather install exactly what I want and save some $$ also. I'm assuming that doesn't come with lithium?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solar package is really nice if you have the residential fridge as it charges the batteries on travel days. If I didn't have a residential fridge and had a generator, I'd probably skip it. If you need solar to power your rig when you're boondocking, you're better off building a real system (e.g. more than 300w, a larger inverter, etc).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Total solar newby here. Not totally new to RV's but close. Wondering if the $1685 for the 300w panel and the 1000w inverter is a worthwhile investment. We will be staying in a couple of different places that won't have shore power when we are riding our SXS. I realize 1000w isn't that much but trying to decide if adding the solar package has an advantage over just starting from scratch with the solar prep already on the 31G. Both places we plan to go we should be able to run the genset whenever we want but not 100% for sure that every place will be like that. Thanks for any help.
    Use the search function to search this site for solar. There is a lot of information.

You need a realistic idea of what you want to do wih the solar. You need to figure out what you want to run on solar, then figure out a system to meet your needs or you will need to re-evaluate your needs. The factory system may not meet your needs and may require component replacment to make it larger. Use the search function and search for factory solar.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 09-22-2020 at 12:09 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to take a stab at this, as I understand it. A couple of key points to think about:

Inverter - the wattage of the inverter determines what AC items you can run, not how long you can run them. A larger inverter allows you to run more or more power hungry AC devices simultaneously. What do you want to power with the inverter? Ex. a laptop at 75W, or a 1000W coffee maker? You probably won't run an AC or microwave off a 1000w inverter, as the draw is more than the inverter can provide. Don't equate this wattage w/ the wattage of the solar panels - they're different and are somewhat irrelevant to each other.
    Edit - Note that w/o the Inverter, you won't be able to use any AC outlets when not on shore power or the generator.

Batteries - Not mentioned in the Solar Package, but the inverter gets it's power from batteries, as do the DC powered items in the camper (lights, controls, etc...). The batteries are added by the dealer, and you generally get 1, which may be OK to run the LED lights and control system for a couple of days. More / bigger batteries = more runtime for your powered stuff. Lithium Ion batteries are at least 1/2 the weight of Lead Acid batteries, allow you to run them down to almost 0% (vs. ~50% of lead acid), can recharge faster (based on charging system), and cost a LOT more each. Your battery bank will be measured in how many Amp Hours it can provide (Amps of power for X hours), with a typical single battery rated ~100Ah. That 75W Laptop may draw ~1 Amp of power, so you may be able to power it for ~100 hours with 1, 100Ah battery. On the other hand, that coffee maker may draw 8 Amps, but if you're only using it for ~1 hour/day, you can use that same 100 Ah battery to make coffee for a week. Mix and match.

Solar Panel(s) - The solar panels recharge the batteries when not on shore power, generator, or running the truck. More / larger solar panels allow the batteries to recharge faster given current conditions (shade / clouds / clear and sunny / etc...). If you can charge the batteries faster than they're drawn down, you're golden, but do you really need to do that? Based on how much power you draw, how much / how fast do you expect to replace the battery charge w/ solar? Ex - Do you expect to run electric heaters constantly (within the wattage of the Inverter) for weeks on end, or do you just want to have enough power in the batteries to watch a movie at the end of the day and keep the furnace control system powered overnight while boondocking for a long weekend?

You need to determine how much power you need daily, how you're going to store that power (battery bank), and how fast you need to replace the stored power via solar (panels). Then you can determine if the factory solar package is a solution, a start, or not enough for your needs.

Personally, I think I'm going to opt for the Solar Package w/ the 2000W inverter (5th wheel Momentums get a 2000W Inverter) and 300W panel to start, as I have no real idea of my power needs other than to power some electronics while on the road, but at least the basic components and wiring will be there and I can upgrade as I go. I think the 2000W Inverter will handle my AC power needs for the time being. I'll add a 3-4 battery bank to start with, topping it off w/ the genny as needed. Then, I can determine if I need to add panels to keep the existing bank charged, batteries to provide more power overnight, or both.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. The 31G solar package only has a 1000w inverter. I'm thinking about things like charging phones, watching TV, listening to music and such without running the genset in a boon-docking setting. Wish the 2000w inverter was available in the 31G.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Use the search function to search this site for solar. There is a lot of information.

You need a realistic idea of what you want to do wih the solar. You need to figure out what you want to run on solar, then figure out a system to meet your needs or you will need to re-evaluate your needs. The factory system may not meet your needs and may require component replacment to make it larger. Use the search function and search for factory solar.
    Thanks. I searched but every thread I saw on the factory solar systems were using the 2000w inverters not the 1000w that is offered with the 31G. I guess at this point I don't even know enough to know what I don't know.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Thanks everyone. The 31G solar package only has a 1000w inverter. I'm thinking about things like charging phones, watching TV, listening to music and such without running the genset in a boon-docking setting. Wish the 2000w inverter was available in the 31G.
    I agree with bertschb.

RV solar is a huge topic and once you get some solar and don’t have to run the generator all the time you will want more.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MYchajluk gave a pretty good initial description of solar but I would like to add a little.

1. I think the system is a good deal if you only want to run the frig. I'm not sure if there are any more outlets connected to the inverter or not, but the wires coming down from the roof are only 10 gauge. 10 gauge will only handle 400 watts of panels on the roof. So officially you have a good system to run the fridge but not to expand it.

2. If you really want solar to power your RV you need more/bigger equipment. We've got #2 wire coming down from the roof with 1120 watts of panels into a 3000 watt inverter. If we've got sun we can run everything except AC on solar. Note we still run the water heater and frig on gas. We run the frig on solar will traveling knowing we will plug in at night. Dual (elec/gas) frigs' are not solar friendly pulling 600 watts/hr where residential frigs' pull 100 watts/hr.

3. Now we get to batteries. We've got 4 6-volt AGM's and had them for 6 years, they are still working fine...but I only have 200 amp hours of useful power. My next purchase will be 2 200 amp hr lithium batteries which will give me approx 350 amp hours power. Note, AGM batteries only provide 50% of stated power without damage while lithium batteries provide 90% (some say 100% but I'm conservative).

Hope that helps.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to partially hijack, but I haven't seen this addressed specifically when considering solar setups/requirements - does your geographic location factor into your decision-making?

We do most of our camping in the South and on the East-coast where many of the campgrounds and state parks we visit are usually heavily to partially shaded. We try to make one big trip out West each year, and from our experience, it seems a large solar setup would be very beneficial for western/mid-western camping, but not so much here in the East. To address the shade issues we often encounter, I've been considering a 200w suitcase to go with our 2 6V GC batteries. We also have a dual fuel genny.

Given all the issues with the gas/elec fridges, our next rig will have the residential fridge and either preinstalled solar or aftermarket. If we move west, then probably the latter.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)