Surge protector ?

Is this one any good ?
    2017 Momentum 376th
    2000 Volvo 610 DD 12.7L Eaton 10 speed

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to be clear on difference between EMS and surge protection. Looks like this will give an indicator light for a low voltage situation. That won't help much if your voltage levels are ok at the point in time you set up (and are looking to see the indicator), but drop below a safe level when you are not looking at it. With an EMS, it will actually cycle off the power to the RV when it detects a low voltage situation with no action required on your part.

Surge protection is nice, but low voltage is much more common.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to spend the $ & get one that protects from just about anything go with this: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/
    More expensive than the one your looking at but well worth the $ & piece of mind. I don't plug mine in at any campground with out it.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    Is this one any good ?
    Listen to @Keebler.

The products from Progressive Industries

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products

or Southwire

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ge-protection/

are *overwhelmingly* the choice of most RV owners because many of their products do more that just surge protect. You almost certainly need more - I can't think of a situation in which you absolutely don't need more.

Yes, they cost several times what that no-name surge protector costs but in costing that one you should include the pro-rated cost for replacing a microwave or converter or television or other devices that could be damaged by poor-quality power, plus the hassle of replacing it.

You've spent tens of thousands of dollars on your trailer. Don't scrimp a few hundred on protecting its electrical system from the wacky world of campground power systems.

One place we stayed in, we noticed a couple of times that we were away from the trailer that the power had gone off. I didn't check our Progressive Industries HW50C error history; I just shrugged it off as power failures. With a good EMS, you can shrug things off because it protects you.

Then the power failed while we were there and our HW50C told me that voltage was too high. I complained to the park operator and he had someone test it. He then came around to tell me that everything was fine, the circuit had been tested OK at (IIRC) 128 volts (whatever it was, it was WAY too high). He was PROUD of it; he figgered he was offering me more voltage at a regular-voltage price!!
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-22-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the Progressive Industries units.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s the same surge protector I purchased. Very good unit. As with you, I don’t plug in without it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several folks mentioned Progressive Industries, they have a great product AND they are a great company. I had an issue where mine was reading the voltage to be lower than it really was and was cutting off power when there was not a dangerous situation. Without even calling the company, I went to their website, opened a ticket (took me less than 5 minutes) and within 2 weeks, I had a brand new unit on my door steps.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto here. I don’t recall what the problem was but after a call to the company and a quick diagnosis, a replacement was on my doorstep as well.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Several folks mentioned Progressive Industries, they have a great product AND they are a great company. I had an issue where mine was reading the voltage to be lower than it really was and was cutting off power when there was not a dangerous situation. Without even calling the company, I went to their website, opened a ticket (took me less than 5 minutes) and within 2 weeks, I had a brand new unit on my door steps.
    But in an hour you could have ridden down to Apex and swapped it out

I went down and picked mine up at the counter and one of the guys from the back came out and gave me a few tips on the installation. We were planning to go to Jordan Lake in a few days and he told me if I had any problems or wanted them to double check my installation to stop on my way down. .
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Ditto on the Progressive Industries units.
    I couldn't recommend the Progressive Industries units more! Had mine installed at a dealer that has only ever installed the southwire ones. He was so impressed with the better terminal connections of the Progressive Industries units that he said he was no longer going to install the southwire in any units any longer. He said he has seen the southwire units actually melt because they get so hot. Plus, if something happens to the progressive industries units it's an easy swap of a controller board. Also American made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast