User Tag List

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion 3400 dual fuel runs rough on propane

We've owned a Champion 3400 dual-fuel for nearly four years, started it for the very first time a couple of weeks ago.

Hooked up the propane to our freshly-filled 30-pound tank and the generator started instantly. Even the electric start worked perfectly, even though the once-per-month charge I was supposed to put on the starter battery ended up being more like once-per-year.

I felt love.

However through all of four hours of running the generator ran quite roughly. It ran more slowly overall than I'd expected, skipped firing very frequently, and often (every minute or two) seemed like it had stalled - I'd hold my breath and it would go again after a couple of seconds.

Also the HW50C EMS reported that the frequency of its output was too high and it was refusing to put the power through. I had no choice (furnace had taken an unexpected toll on the batteries overnight) so I over-rode it but expect I've shortened the life of things.

I called Champion's support line late last week and after over an hour on hold got some kid who knew nothing and told me nothing.

Any suggestions about things I could check and/or tweak? (I don't want to run it on gasoline.)

Thanks in advance.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The symptoms you are describing sound like you are having fuel problems.

First thing I would do is check that you have pushed the choke all the way in, if the choke is half way out you could get some of the symptoms you are describing.

Next thing I would do is connect the generator to a different Propane tank that was not filled at the same place as the tank you were using, just filled could mean you got bad gas (not likely, but you have another tank so this is easy to check).

After these two items, it is possible that your tank's internal check valve has been activated and you are not getting full flow of propane. Disconnect the hose from your tank and inspect the inlet for any debris (insects) and re-install it, turn on your Propane very slowly and let it sit fully on for five minutes before you start the generator.

Try these and let us know how things worked out.

PS: I agree with you, in that, I never want to put gas in my Champion either.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK