Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AC amp question

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC amp question

I recently purchased a 2800BH with twin AC. Tonight I downloaded to bulldog app for my new surge protector which shows real time power usage. I kicked on the 13.5k ac and it seemed to peak at 30 amps and quickly ran a baseline of 9 amps. I then tested the 15k AC and it seemed to peak at only 20 amps and also ran at 9 amps. Do these come with some sort of soft start from the factory? I’ve seen several post where people use the 2200 Honda inverter to run their AC. Hard to believe that it would work but I’m almost convinced it’s safe to do so after seeing my results on power consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting current is what will kill you. My Champion 3400W will not start my 15K AC. Others have no issues with the same AC and generator. Soft starts work magic but I added as an aftermarket modification.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting current on an AC induction motor like you would find in an Air Conditioner can sometimes pull up to approx. 4 times the normal running current, so a starting current in the 30 - 35 amp range is quite normal. Fortunately, as soon as the motor starts turning, that inrush of current starts coming down to the normal running current....and this all happens in the milli-second time range. Unfortunately though, some generators will just not tolerate that starting inrush of current.....but some will. Of course the quick answer is a soft start installed on the A/C unit which does decrease that starting current inrush. Industrial 3 phase induction motors will many times see an inrush of 7 times the FLA....or Full Load Amperage.

The 15K BTU A/C unit only pulling 9 amps seems kind of low to me, but if I'm not mistaken, some of the new units seem to run more efficiently....so that may be accurate. Normally, a 15K unit running current will be in 14-15 amp range.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is confusing to me is the 15k peaks at 20 amps on startup according to the bulldog app but the 13.5k peaks at 30. You’d think it would be the opposite. I’m not saying how accurate the reading is but that’s the numbers I’m getting. I’ll call GD today and ask more about the units and if one possibly has some sort of soft start on it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke with Grand design this morning. They do not install any type of soft start on the AC units. But the 15k does require less power to start than the 13.5 according to them. I did not dig further to find out why or how many amps exactly they use. The person I spoke with didn’t think the Honda 2200 would start the AC but there are definitely several folks doing this. I’m skeptical but might try it for myself.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2200 Honda has a max output of about 18A. Well short of 20A, but in a fuzzy zone where anything can happen.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an area where tech can improve with these AC units. There are many residential AC compressors which are variable speed or even two stage. They don't have the same initial draw and when they do need max cooling, they are already running so again the max draw isn't as much.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax