Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Directions to Orlando Florida from Western NY area to avoid hills

Greetings, The wife and I are traveling to the Orlando area from Buffalo NY this winter. This is our first long trip in our 2016 Grand Design Imagine 2950RL. TV is a 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500. I understand from other folks that in the West Virginia area there are some pretty steep hills we would have to deal with. Any suggestions on a flatter route to avoid these areas? Our plan is to tow the trailer to Florida this October, put it in storage at our campground until we return in January. This is our first travel trailer and our first long trip. Were a little nervous. lol Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rt 81s has hills but nothing extreme especially once you get past Hazleton Pa. At Staunton Va. use Rt 64 to cross over to rt 95. About 10 minutes off Rt 95 At Chesterfield, Va, just south of Richmond is Pocahontas State Park if you are looking for a good stopover place.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-23-2020 at 11:51 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To avoid the hills around Scranton, just take US15 south to pick up I81 at Harrisburg. Mostly 4 lane divided. It's probably shorter for you also.

To avoid the hill on I64 (which isn't too bad), take I66 east to US17 south to I95. It does have some traffic as you near 95. Four lane, divided.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be plotting my route this week with your help. Much appreciated.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are also from WNY and will be taking our soon to be delivered 22MLE to Winter Haven early December for the first time. We’ve done the route a number of times in a CAR and the route through Pittsburgh, Beckley, Wyethville, Charlotte, Columbia, Rt 95 near Charleston, 95 to Daytona, Rt 4 Orlando can be rough. Once we did a western end run to Cincinnati, Atlanta. Certainty longer but less mountain stress.
    This December will try east visiting family near Baltimore. Still likely sone hills.

Carl

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your response, and good luck with the new trailer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We to will head to Florida , only to the west coast. Would you recommend the Rte. 75 direction ?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2200 View Post
    We to will head to Florida , only to the west coast. Would you recommend the Rte. 75 direction ?
    It’s longer of course, much less hilly. Might try to avoid Cincinnati and Atlanta at rush hour.
    We did that route once to avoid snow storms east of the mountains.

In three days we take an easterly route for the first time. Visiting family near Baltimore, will pick up 95 south of DC most of the way. Forecast looks decent.