User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so it begins..."California Governor Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday that the state will ban sales of gas-powered vehicles, effective in 2035."
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    And so it begins..."California Governor Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday that the state will ban sales of gas-powered vehicles, effective in 2035."
    This is the first I had heard of this mandate. Is this an actual law? Or just a proposal? (update: it is law)

The UK is proposing the same mandate for 2030.

Update: this mandate also includes Heavy Duty Trucks, Vans and Commercial Fleet Operators.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 09-23-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    This is the first I had heard of this mandate. Is this an actual law? Or just a proposal?
    It was just announced today. It's an executive order. California can't produce enough electricity today. It will be interesting to see what happens to their grid when 15,000,000 cars are being recharged every day - and they continue to shut down fossil fuel power plants. Increase power demand and reduce production. Genius!

One "solution" to the self inflicted power shortage I read about was to significantly raise rates. You can't make this stuff up! So when it's 105 outside and you NEED air conditioning, the solution is to raise the rates? By that logic, I should get better fuel mileage in my truck if they increase fuel prices.

Sorry for taking this OT. I am glad to hear about progress in battery technology. Lighter/cheaper/higher density is all good stuff. Better range in electric cars and smaller/lighter/cheaper LiFePO4 RV batteries is a very good thing!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complicated subject here. IMO however, PG&E is a criminal monopoly. The state PUC just rubber stamps their egregious rate increases. PG&E gets fined for criminal negligence in the Millbrae explosion and fires that decimated a neighborhood and killed some people. And what did they do? They passed the fines along to their customers of course. How is it that Roseville Electric and SMUD, which services the cities of Roseville and Sacramento respectively, have such massively lower rates than PG&E? Why is PG&E deemed a "public" utility when there's nothing public about it other than it has the right to rip the public off?

I fully support solar. If our idiot governor Newsome truly supported clean power, instead of banning ICE vehicles, he (along with the left wing controlled stated legislature), would he'd mandate that ALL new homes built have rooftop solar of adequate capacity to offset their electrical usage. In massive quantities, solar would not add that much to the cost of a new home. We have solar on our roof and despite the fact that we live where it's typically 100°+ during the summer, and we have 5 ton and 3.5 ton air conditioning units, our true up at the end of the year is less than $1000.

I would go so far as requiring solar and batteries to be installed, thereby allowing homes to use STORED energy when the sun goes down.

As for the Cybertruck, sorry but that thing is butt ugly. It may be ok for a travel trailer, but at this time there's no way it'll support a fifth wheel. And many Superchargers are located where there's no room to expand their footprint. So I don't see how they're going to reconfigure the sites for a truck with a trailer in tow.

I am hoping however, that with the success of the Cybertruck, Tesla will produce something eventually that is more conventionally shaped and has lower bed rails and the capacity to tow a fiver. Combine that with a good rooftop solar system on your fifth wheel and now we're talking.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fallacy is everyone simplifying discussion to an either/or scenario: gas or electric. The correct but more expensive answer for those willing to go off the beaten path is using gas and electric together.

Provide me with an gas engine good for 500 miles of towing, and add on an electric motor, 250 mile daily driving range battery, regenerative braking, and built in 3kw inverter.

Program the car to seamlessly switch between gas and electric as needed, using both for maximum engine stopping power or for heavy towing.

Pure electric is the low tech cheap option for the masses.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowefamily View Post
    The fallacy is everyone simplifying discussion to an either/or scenario: gas or electric. The correct but more expensive answer for those willing to go off the beaten path is using gas and electric together.
    The problem is the manufacturers are running headlong into electric-only product lines. I thought the Volt was a great idea but GM dropped it. As governments continue to mandate electric only vehicles, manufacturers and consumers will have no choice but electric.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The problem is the manufacturers are running headlong into electric-only product lines. I thought the Volt was a great idea but GM dropped it. As governments continue to mandate electric only vehicles, manufacturers and consumers will have no choice but electric.
    I've always thought the coolest setup would be a diesel-electric. A moderately sized diesel engine that only powers a generator, runs at constant RPMs, and the generator is sized to bring a moderately sized battery pack up to full charge relatively quickly. A diesel running at constant RPM is crazy efficient and you wouldn't need 400HP, probably more like 50-100HP (which is good for 25-50KW of power). Add in regen braking (think exhaust brake), a 100KWh battery pack, and, well, now you've got something I'd be really interested in. I'm surprised that this hasn't come to the HDT market yet, we have all the tech to do this (trains, for example, have been diesel-electric for a long time) and it would seem to be a great way to deal with the cost of batteries, range anxiety, great MPG.

Maybe someday.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I've always thought the coolest setup would be a diesel-electric. A moderately sized diesel engine that only powers a generator, runs at constant RPMs, and the generator is sized to bring a moderately sized battery pack up to full charge relatively quickly. A diesel running at constant RPM is crazy efficient and you wouldn't need 400HP, probably more like 50-100HP (which is good for 25-50KW of power). Add in regen braking (think exhaust brake), a 100KWh battery pack, and, well, now you've got something I'd be really interested in. I'm surprised that this hasn't come to the HDT market yet, we have all the tech to do this (trains, for example, have been diesel-electric for a long time) and it would seem to be a great way to deal with the cost of batteries, range anxiety, great MPG.

Maybe someday.
    Yes, this is a good idea. This is exactly how the Chevy Volt was designed, Only the electric powertrain drives the wheels, the Gas engine runs a generator that recharges the battery, just enough to replenish the energy used to propel the car (not enough to recharge the battery to full). The Chevy Volt was designed differently than other Hybrids like the Prius, in the Prius the Electric motor assists the Gas engine in propelling the vehicle, this is especially useful when accelerating from a stop.

While this idea is valid and it can increase Miles Per Gallon, it does not address the pollution issue the way that Electrifying the entire Transportation sector can.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the truck will be available long before a reasonable number of campgrounds are available where you can recharge
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    the truck will be available long before a reasonable number of campgrounds are available where you can recharge
    All campgrounds with a 20, 30 or 50 amp connector can be used to charge an Electric Vehicle. All you need is an appropriate adapter and the charger (EVSE) that comes with your Electric Vehicle.

In practical use, if the campsite is a 30 amp campsite there is usually a 20 amp connector next to the 30 amp outlet, you could simply plug in your Electric Pickup to the 20 amp outlet and let it charge over the weekend. If you need to charge the vehicle faster, then you can use the 30 amp circuit at night, or when you are away from the camper, unless you need your air conditioning, then you might need to plan for a stop at a DC fast charging station on your way home. If the campsite has a 50 and a 30 amp connector, then you could use the connector your coach does not use to charge the truck. Additionally, you can program your truck to charge up overnight to minimize impact on the Electric supply in the campground.

EV charging is easier than you might think before you own an EV. With a little bit of flexibility and some creative ingenuity you can keep your EV charged up.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast