User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tesla CyberTruck: How Battery Day Totally Changed What We Know About Electric Pickups

Yesterday, Tesla held their, long awaited, Battery Day...

During the presentation, Elon Musk and Drew Baglino outlined the future of batteries for Tesla Vehicles. In addition to being 56% cheaper to manufacture, Tesla's new battery cells will be 5 times more powerful and store 6 times more energy then the current battery cells Tesla is using in their Model 3 and Y.

In their presentation Tesla indicated that the CyberTruck and Semi will be built with their new, more powerful, battery cells.

How will these new Tesla Cells (FYI: the new cells will be called 4680) have a positive effect on Towing an RV with a Tesla CyberTruck?

What Range improvement might we expect from the new cells being used in the CyberTruck?

How will the new cells effect charging times while on the road?

Let's discuss this...

First, I would like to thank Rivian for publishing the first, official, estimate of range reduction while towing a loaded trailer with an Electric Pickup, that range reduction is ~ 50%, even while climbing some very steep hills in the Arizona heat (over 100 F).

Read about Rivian's Testing and watch a Video here: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...scorching-heat

Tesla's CyberTruck will have more than 14,000 LBs of towing capacity and 500 miles of range when they begin producing them at the end of next year (maybe 1Q 2022), unfortunately, the CyberTruck will not be capable of towing a 5th Wheel RV, however, for those who have chosen a Travel Trailer, you are in for a treat!

The new Batteries that Tesla announced for the CyberTruck will benefit RV users greatly; and positively address many concerns people have voiced on this forum and others (mostly about Range and Charging times).

Personally, I predict that the new CyberTruck will have a longer range than previously published because of the new battery cells, I predict that the Long-Range, Tri-Motor, version of the CyberTruck will have a range closer to 600 miles when Tesla begins producing them in volume (2022).

Because the new Tesla battery is so advanced, the CyberTruck will have plenty of power to haul the RV, at speed, even uphill. One of the biggest advantages of this new battery, is that it does not get as hot as current batteries do, so, you won't have an over-heating issue, even while climbing a long hill.

Additionally, because this new battery generates less internal heat, it can be charged much faster, and at a higher rate, than the existing battery packs on the Model 3 (or Model Y). The batteries should also be capable of accepting the higher charging rate for a longer period of time, so, the charging rate will begin curtailing itself later in the charging cycle which will give you a higher state-of-charge, sooner.

Many of the Electrify America's charging stations and Tesla's v3 Super chargers are capable of charge rates up to 350kwh which equates to receiving over 1,000 miles of charge in an hour. The CyberTruck will probably be capable of charging at a rate of 300kwh which will probably result in a 10% to 80% (plus) charge of around 30 minutes, just enough time to fix lunch and get everyone through the comfort station (at least once).

With the CyberTruck's Long-Range of 500 miles (or more) and the new information provided by Rivian, you could expect to travel over 200 miles before needing to stop for a recharge of around 30 minutes. This range and recharge time compare favorably with your existing Gas or Diesel fueling times (it takes a while to fill my 48 gallon tank, so a 5 minute fill-up is not realistic).

Bottom line: The new Battery from Tesla will make the CyberTruck much more capable and will eliminate even more excuses for not "Going Electric" from the Fossil-Fuel Loving Truck enthusiasts.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    With the CyberTruck's Long-Range of 500 miles (or more) and the new information provided by Rivian, you could expect to travel over 200 miles before needing to stop for a recharge of around 30 minutes. This range and recharge time compare favorably with your existing Gas or Diesel fueling times (it takes a while to fill my 48 gallon tank, so a 5 minute fill-up is not realistic).

Bottom line: The new Battery from Tesla will make the CyberTruck much more capable and will eliminate even more excuses for not "Going Electric" from the Fossil-Fuel Loving Truck enthusiasts.
    200 miles of towing range is not acceptable to all people. I just spent $2,300 to replace my factory 34 gallon fuel tank which gave me about 300 miles of towing range. I now have 600 miles of towing range which is acceptable. 200 isn't even close for me.

If you double the size of the new battery pack to get 400 miles of towing range (marginal for me), it would be a 60 minute recharge to 80%. No way I'm sitting around for an hour or more to recharge a battery and only get 400 miles of range out of it.

My son has a Ford Raptor and ordered a Cybertruck when it was announced. He's intrigued with electric vehicles. We talk about them all the time. The #1 issue for me with electric vehicles has always been range. We do a lot of interstate driving and I want at least 500 mile range in any vehicle I own with a ten minute fill up. I realize I'm an outlier as most people drive 20 miles a day. But, until an electric truck can pull a 20,000lb 5th wheel for 500 miles without charging and then recharge in 15 minutes, I'll keep my diesel.

Competition is good and electric vehicles will bring new technology that can be used in ICE vehicles and ICE vehicles will force electric manufacturers to increase capability in order to compete - especially with trucks.

And BTW, my interest in electric vehicles is purely because I'm a gadget guy and love new technology. It has nothing to do with the perceived cleaner technology. Most of the electricity used to charge electric vehicles is produced from fossil fuels so you're using fossil fuels either way.

Oh, one more thing about electric tow vehicles...
    New chargers will need to be installed nationwide that allow room for trucks with RV's attached.
    Last edited by bertschb; 09-23-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update David/Peggy. I want to fill our trailer's front compartment with 1000 amp/hours of those batteries too... for $2K. How long will I have to wait?!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    200 miles of towing range is not acceptable to all people. I just spent $2,300 to replace my factory 34 gallon fuel tank which gave me about 300 miles of towing range. I now have 600 miles of towing range which is acceptable. 200 isn't even close for me.

If you double the size of the new battery pack to get 400 miles of towing range (marginal for me), it would be a 60 minute recharge to 80%. No way I'm sitting around for an hour or more to recharge a battery and only get 400 miles of range out of it.

My son has a Ford Raptor and ordered a Cybertruck when it was announced. He's intrigued with electric vehicles. We talk about them all the time. The #1 issue for me with electric vehicles has always been range. We do a lot of interstate driving and I want at least 500 mile range in any vehicle I own with a ten minute fill up. I realize I'm an outlier as most people drive 20 miles a day. But, until an electric truck can pull a 20,000lb 5th wheel for 500 miles without charging and then recharge in 15 minutes, I'll keep my diesel.

Competition is good and electric vehicles will bring new technology that can be used in ICE vehicles and ICE vehicles will force electric manufacturers to increase capability in order to compete - especially with trucks.

And BTW, my interest in electric vehicles is purely because I'm a gadget guy and love new technology. It has nothing to do with the perceived cleaner technology. Most of the electricity used to charge electric vehicles is produced from fossil fuels so you're using fossil fuels either way.

Oh, one more thing about electric tow vehicles...
    New chargers will need to be installed nationwide that allow room for trucks with RV's attached.
    It sounds like you should get your name on the list for a Tesla Semi and move up to the HDT Club, with 600 miles of range pulling 40,000 lbs, I bet you could get 700 miles only pulling that tiny 5th Wheel behind the Tesla Semi.

Many Electrify America charging stations can accommodate the pull-through requirements of a towed vehicle, however many Supercharging Stations would need to be reconfigured. I anticipate that many Truck Stops will begin installing Electric Charging Stations and they will be more attuned to the needs of a towed rig (one can only hope).

If you don't mind me asking, where do you tow that you need such long range capability? How often do you tow those long trips? Do you tow much shorter trips throughout the year?

Thanks!
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Thanks for the update David/Peggy. I want to fill our trailer's front compartment with 1000 amp/hours of those batteries too... for $2K. How long will I have to wait?!
    What will you be using the batteries for?

If you want to replace your 12v batteries with Tesla Lithium batteries, you can buy used Model S battery modules today. That is what I power my coach with and I couldn't be happier.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you tow that you need such long range capability? How often do you tow those long trips? Do you tow much shorter trips throughout the year?
    We travel between Bend, OR and Palm Springs, CA. I've done the trip non-stop several times. Well, non-stop meaning no overnight stop. We probably won't do that again but what I've learned is interstate travel is no problem as far as finding truck stops for refueling but when you get off the main highways out west you have to rely on regular gas stations which I try to avoid when towing 5th wheels. We plan to travel the western states and Alaska over the next couple summers. I didn't replace my fuel tank so I could drive for 600 miles without stopping. I replaced it so I could make it between RV parks without having to stop at regular gas stations.

Just so you know, I'm not opposed at all to electric vehicles. I'm only opposed to the false "clean energy" sales pitch and the short range of electric tow vehicles. For 95% of use cases, they are an excellent alternative to ICE. In fact, if I was still working and commuting, I'd get one. We have a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid that has over 500 miles of range. Over the last 6 months or so we're averaging 45mpg in mixed driving. Pretty impressive for a car with a very small battery. It's fun to drive our car when it's in EV mode. It doesn't go very far or very fast in that mode but it feels like cheating when it does. No gas being used and the battery was charged by the car (engine or coasting/braking).

We plan to add solar to the next house we build and it would be really cool to be able to recharge an electric car/truck from our own solar system!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    We travel between Bend, OR and Palm Springs, CA. I've done the trip non-stop several times. Well, non-stop meaning no overnight stop. We probably won't do that again but what I've learned is interstate travel is no problem as far as finding truck stops for refueling but when you get off the main highways out west you have to rely on regular gas stations which I try to avoid when towing 5th wheels. We plan to travel the western states and Alaska over the next couple summers. I didn't replace my fuel tank so I could drive for 600 miles without stopping. I replaced it so I could make it between RV parks without having to stop at regular gas stations.

Just so you know, I'm not opposed at all to electric vehicles. I'm only opposed to the false "clean energy" sales pitch and the short range of electric tow vehicles. For 95% of use cases, they are an excellent alternative to ICE. In fact, if I was still working and commuting, I'd get one. We have a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid that has over 500 miles of range. Over the last 6 months or so we're averaging 45mpg in mixed driving. Pretty impressive for a car with a very small battery. It's fun to drive our car when it's in EV mode. It doesn't go very far or very fast in that mode but it feels like cheating when it does. No gas being used and the battery was charged by the car (engine or coasting/braking).

We plan to add solar to the next house we build and it would be really cool to be able to recharge an electric car/truck from our own solar system!
    We had a Chevy Volt for the final year and a half that my wife commuted. We charged it up every night and it really ticked us off if we had to use gas for the last 0.10 of a mile getting home if we had over used the battery that day (extra trips for errands). We really liked the Volt and would recommend it to anyone that the full EV range was good enough for their daily commute. Over the 18 months we had it, we never had to fill it up with gas (except for Hurricane prep), that 9 gallon tank of gas lasted us the full 18 months!!!

I think living in Oregon, if you had an all Electric Vehicle, you couldn't help but run it on "Clean Energy" with all of your Hydro Power in the region. The good news about driving Electric, every month the energy mix is getting cleaner and cleaner, this year Coal is expected to be only 22% of our energy supply and Renewables are now cheaper than Gas, Nuclear, and Coal. Combine that with cheaper batteries for the grid (something Tesla also announced yesterday) and we have an easy path to 80 - 90% Renewables Today. The last 5 - 10% will be a challenge to get done economically.

I am with you on not wanting to Fuel up at any where but Truck Stops because they are always going to have the freshest Diesel.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 09-23-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Chevy Volt for the final year and a half that my wife commuted.
    I always thought the Volt was a great idea. EV for commuting. ICE for traveling. Best of both worlds. Zero range anxiety. I seriously considered buying one. Too bad GM stopped making it but manufacturers are moving full speed ahead into full EV's. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for U.S. consumers to switch to EV's without legislation forcing them to do it like many other countries.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During the presentation, Elon Musk and Drew Baglino outlined the future of batteries for Tesla Vehicles. In addition to being 56% cheaper to manufacture, Tesla's new battery cells will be 5 times more powerful and store 6 times more energy then the current battery cells Tesla is using in their Model 3 and Y.

In their presentation Tesla indicated that the CyberTruck and Semi will be built with their new, more powerful, battery cells.

How will these new Tesla Cells (FYI: the new cells will be called 4680) have a positive effect on Towing an RV with a Tesla CyberTruck?

What Range improvement might we expect from the new cells being used in the CyberTruck?

How will the new cells effect charging times while on the road?

Let's discuss this...

First, I would like to thank Rivian for publishing the first, official, estimate of range reduction while towing a loaded trailer with an Electric Pickup, that range reduction is ~ 50%, even while climbing some very steep hills in the Arizona heat (over 100 F).

Read about Rivian's Testing and watch a Video here: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...scorching-heat

Tesla's CyberTruck will have more than 14,000 LBs of towing capacity and 500 miles of range when they begin producing them at the end of next year (maybe 1Q 2022), unfortunately, the CyberTruck will not be capable of towing a 5th Wheel RV, however, for those who have chosen a Travel Trailer, you are in for a treat!

The new Batteries that Tesla announced for the CyberTruck will benefit RV users greatly; and positively address many concerns people have voiced on this forum and others (mostly about Range and Charging times).

Personally, I predict that the new CyberTruck will have a longer range than previously published because of the new battery cells, I predict that the Long-Range, Tri-Motor, version of the CyberTruck will have a range closer to 600 miles when Tesla begins producing them in volume (2022).

Because the new Tesla battery is so advanced, the CyberTruck will have plenty of power to haul the RV, at speed, even uphill. One of the biggest advantages of this new battery, is that it does not get as hot as current batteries do, so, you won't have an over-heating issue, even while climbing a long hill.

Additionally, because this new battery generates less internal heat, it can be charged much faster, and at a higher rate, than the existing battery packs on the Model 3 (or Model Y). The batteries should also be capable of accepting the higher charging rate for a longer period of time, so, the charging rate will begin curtailing itself later in the charging cycle which will give you a higher state-of-charge, sooner.

Many of the Electrify America's charging stations and Tesla's v3 Super chargers are capable of charge rates up to 350kwh which equates to receiving over 1,000 miles of charge in an hour. The CyberTruck will probably be capable of charging at a rate of 300kwh which will probably result in a 10% to 80% (plus) charge of around 30 minutes, just enough time to fix lunch and get everyone through the comfort station (at least once).

Key word: “will”.

These aren’t on the market and aren’t being mass produced. Yet. Maybe they will and it will be great, but over the years there have been a lot of optimistic press releases about battery technology that is “just around the corner”.

If I could do 200 miles a day on electric, it would be hard to pass up and I’d adapt. Campgrounds would obviously start metering electricity, so it’s not going to be free fuel. Taxes will get into the mix as well, as road funds largely come from fuel taxes as well.

I would be really surprised if there is an economic advantage in the long run. Eventually everything will settle out to be close to normal. Ecologically I’m hopeful for improvement.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think living in Oregon, if you had an all Electric Vehicle, you couldn't help but run it on "Clean Energy" with all of your Hydro Power in the region.
    According to Oregon Department of Energy, here is where Oregon's power comes from:
    Hydro - 43%
    Coal - 25%
    Gas - 21%

So, the majority of Oregon's power is produced from fossil fuels. Wind and solar accounted for 6% combined.

Nationwide, 63% of our electrical power is produced from fossil fuels. 20% is nuclear. 17% is renewables. Again, this is from the Oregon Department of Energy website.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast