User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading vent in bedroom to Fantastic Fan - is this the correct wiring?

We have a 2017 GD Imagine 2800BH and want to replace our standard roof vent in the bedroom to Fantastic Fan vent. Looks like there is wiring that runs past it (2 whites and a brown) assuming this is positive, negative and a ground. Can someone confirm that we can tap into these wires for the Fan without any issues? Image of wires in question included. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vent Wires.jpg  

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following this, I want to do the same thing in our 2020 GD Reflection 150 series 295RL

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't done this, so take it for what it is worth...but it appears to be 120v wiring. 12v wires are usually much smaller, and only need a pair - plus and minus, no ground. Your new fan would make a lot of smoke the first time you turned it on. Many of GD's models come with preinstalled 120v wiring in that area for a second air conditioner. That may be what you found.
    When we bought our 2670MK, we had the dealer install a Fantastic in the bedroom. I didn't see where he ran the power from, but they did note that there would be a fair bit of extra labor charged to run the 12v line. And the bill reflected that. It apparently was MUCH easier to run our other one in the kitchen skylight/vent that our model has.
    You might investigate a nearby light fixture, to see what may be available...but no guarantees that that wiring will be robust enough for the additional load.
    A proper job would be to run a new line back to the converter...
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a bedroom fan in my Imagine 2600rb. I ran wires from my kitchen vent/fan to the bedroom. I put on a long sleeve shirt and gloves. Removed the vent from both the kitchen and bedroom. Pushed some wire through from the kitchen (under the insulation) as far as my arm would reach. I then came in from the bedroom, reach up in there, grabbed the wires and pulled them trough. Rather easy process but I'm not familiar with the 2800bh configuration.

I agree those wires could be 120v. You'll need to find the nearest set of 12v wires and somehow pull some wires from that location.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a fantastic fan in the bedroom of our 230RL.... just forward of the vent hole were 2 wires one was all white the other white with an orange stripe.... they are 12 volt... use volt meter to determine the polarity
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info - I plan to install 3 fantastiks - one in bedroom that will need power, and replace the other 2. I was very disappointed to see those little worthless noisy fans.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A disclaimer... This may not always be true and 120 volts AC can kill you! Check your wires with a voltmeter first and foremost. But below is what I have found in all of the past trailers I have owned since 1993.

In all the wiring, (lights, dimmers, solar, and etc.), I have done, all of the factory 120 volt AC wiring has been in Romex cable. The low voltage, 12 volts DC, wiring has all been heavier than needed (IMHO), and separate wires. Separate white wires have always been ground or negative low voltage. Separate black and separate other colors have been positive low voltage. The DC (low voltage), wiring goes from automotive wiring, red (positive), black (negative), to more like high voltage AC wiring where white is neutral (ground) and black or other colors, or wires with colored stripes, are positive. Again, the loose individual wires will be low voltage and black white and copper wire in a sheath (Romex) will be high voltage AC. Just seems that what trailer manufacturers are doing.

Most likely two of those wires are for your fan. One will go to your switch (black) and on to the fan motor and one of the white wires will go directly to the fan motor.

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    Thanks for the info - I plan to install 3 fantastiks - one in bedroom that will need power, and replace the other 2. I was very disappointed to see those little worthless noisy fans.
    Did you ever end up replacing these?
    We just bought a 2022 2400BH and my biggest gripe/issue are the fans/vents. Coming from a Rockwood Roo which had very strong vent fans I was disappointed at the cheap little fans they put in these things in the bathroom and living space. We also have a vent in the bedroom with no fan at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REM1212 View Post
    Did you ever end up replacing these?
    We just bought a 2022 2400BH and my biggest gripe/issue are the fans/vents. Coming from a Rockwood Roo which had very strong vent fans I was disappointed at the cheap little fans they put in these things in the bathroom and living space. We also have a vent in the bedroom with no fan at all.
    yes! I bought a fish tape on Amazon & used 10 gauge wire. Pulled power for the bedroom fan from the kitchen vent, as that is unswitched. Hardest part is removing the OEM roof vent. I only used EternaBond tape to seal the new fans, no liquid sealant. Also installed vent covers with bug screens.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    yes! I bought a fish tape on Amazon & used 10 gauge wire. Pulled power for the bedroom fan from the kitchen vent, as that is unswitched. Hardest part is removing the OEM roof vent. I only used EternaBond tape to seal the new fans, no liquid sealant. Also installed vent covers with bug screens.
    Good to hear and thanks for the tips.
    I was going to start with one of these to replace the bathroom vent and go from there: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast