User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bringing in your own hitch

What is the general consensus on bringing your own hitch to the dealer when you pick up a new trailer. I have a hitch from previous trailers that i have kept and want to use it. Did your dealer charge you to set it up? Do you do a rough set up and take it home to do a complete set up? Will a dealer even use your hitch?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will install a customer's hitch for a charge. It is labor that would not be incurred otherwise.

A hitch we sell has the labor to install included in the selling price.

We have no problem installing a customers hitch equipment as long as it is rated for the trailer. If the bars are too light, you are buying a new bars or a new hitch. Or, you don't leave with a trailer.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabnab View Post
    What is the general consensus on bringing your own hitch to the dealer when you pick up a new trailer. I have a hitch from previous trailers that i have kept and want to use it. Did your dealer charge you to set it up? Do you do a rough set up and take it home to do a complete set up? Will a dealer even use your hitch?
    I had a hitch preference when we bought our 297RSTS. Negotiated the deal and then confirmed that they would install the hitch. Fortunately this dealer was willing to do it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased ours online before we bought our trailer. The dealer said they couldn't set ours up or help because of insurance purposes, but if you buy one from us we will take care of setup and install. I figured we've spent enough with them and installed ours in their parking lot in the pouring rain for about an hour by myself. They had the nerve to come out and ask me if I was all most done because they needed to get vehicles in and out, when they were the one's who parked my trailer where it was.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we purchased our 2970RL through our dealers Internet sales the purchase included an Equalizer E2 (Fastway) WDH hitch. During our delivery the dealer completely setup the hitch for our truck and trailer. The technician came out and walked through hitching and un-hitching. Then let me do the complete hitching and un-hitching. It was very good and no adjustments were needed.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I appreciate your shop's ability to work with the customer huntr70. I have a hitch that is rated way over the trailer specs and like it so wanted to use it again.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my hitch (e2) the only thing that gets installed on the trailer is L brackets. 2 bolts per bracket. As long as the propane or batteries don't need to be moved it's a super easy job. Tape measure, torque wrench, box wrench and about 5 minutes.

If a dealer really wants to fuss just drive it off the lot without the bars attached, go to the nearest large parking lot and install the L brackets there. There is no law saying you have to have a WDH to tow a trailer.

Knowing what I know now I would rather do the install myself. The dealer is just going to put an air ratchet to it. I'm going to put a torque wrench to it and know it's right.

Most likely when you get home and have a fully loaded truck and trailer you'll need to readjust it anyway.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    We will install a customer's hitch for a charge. It is labor that would not be incurred otherwise.

A hitch we sell has the labor to install included in the selling price.

We have no problem installing a customers hitch equipment as long as it is rated for the trailer. If the bars are too light, you are buying a new bars or a new hitch. Or, you don't leave with a trailer.
    This sounds like a much better practice than Camping World. I think they'd let you leave with the trailer regardless of the hitch or tow vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased an Equalizer online but had it shipped to the dealership. The dealer wanted to sell me a 1,000lb Equalizer, which I thought seemed light based on a 13% to 15% tongue weight estimate. I ended up calling Equalizer and they recommended either the 1,400lb or 1,600lb - I ended up going with 1,600lb. Before I signed anything to purchase the trailer I negotiated that they would do the initial hitch install for free. They had the L brackets installed when I got there, and took my truck and set up the hitch while I was doing PDI.

I was camping about 10 miles away that night so once I got to the campground I confirmed proper torque and did the height measuring on front wheel well as described in the Equalizer manual. Ended up moving the L brackets up one notch to give me a little more weight distribution.

Matt & Michelle
    Tennessee
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2020 Ford F250 6.7L

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my BW Companion hitch online, saved on price and taxes. I asked here about the configuration people were using on the Ram 3500 puck system and got some good recommendations. I set it all up before going to the dealer. It was just right. The only thing the dealer did was add the wedge to the Turning Point kingpin for no charge.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast