User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'm wondering the same and if they get to 90 degrees without hitting the side rails of a rolltop cover.
    Based on my experience with a roll top cover and a regular pinbox, the odds are pretty good that the two will make contact at some point in time. I’ve gone to a folding hard tonneau and because tonneau support rails stick straight out instead of up at about 45°, I have more clearance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	946697DC-47A4-48F2-ADC4-6B4A2D975A62.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	38188
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    Based on my experience with a roll top cover and a regular pinbox, the odds are pretty good that the two will make contact at some point in time. I’ve gone to a folding hard tonneau and because tonneau support rails stick straight out instead of up at about 45°, I have more clearance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	946697DC-47A4-48F2-ADC4-6B4A2D975A62.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	38188
    Now this is interesting..... My pin box is different... it is not slanted at the back like the Refection models. I never noticed this before.

I'm not sure if that makes a difference tho. I just talked with a fellow here where I live who has the Reese Goosebox and he said he ruined to sets of rails on a Retrax cover. He put in a BakFlip and switched to a B&W lifted ball. he thinks if he had that ball to begin with he'd have been OK but he is all OK now using both the different ball and the BakFlip.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get almost 90 degrees on my 303RLS towing with my F250 6 3/4 bed using a 4" offset ball so I would think with a long bed you would get 90 degrees or very close. I also have plenty (7 1/2") of bed rail clearance just FYI. Beware that the GenY will void your Lippert frame warranty and the Gbox will not. Confirmed this with GD before purchasing mine.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbenz970 View Post
    I can get almost 90 degrees on my 303RLS towing with my F250 6 3/4 bed using a 4" offset ball so I would think with a long bed you would get 90 degrees or very close. I also have plenty (7 1/2") of bed rail clearance just FYI. Beware that the GenY will void your Lippert frame warranty and the Gbox will not. Confirmed this with GD before purchasing mine.
    Which offset ball are you using? Do you have the factory 5th wheel prep?
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No factory 5th wheel prep. I had an after market B&W turnover ball hitch installed and use the B&W 4" offset ball. My understanding is the B&W offset ball will not work with the factory set up and the availability of offset balls that will work is very limited, if not non existent.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbenz970 View Post
    No factory 5th wheel prep. I had an after market B&W turnover ball hitch installed and use the B&W 4" offset ball. My understanding is the B&W offset ball will not work with the factory set up and the availability of offset balls that will work is very limited, if not non existent.
    Thanks for confirming that. That's what I have heard from others, but thought I would ask just in case....

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a goose box on my 303. I can get about 82 degrees before I get real close to the cab. I got into a "sporty" campground where the spot was supposed to accommodate a 32' trailer. It was tight and did not need all of the clearance I had. The trailer fit but the tow rig did not.

I was not a fan of using a trailer ball for a 5th wheel. Now I have no regrets. I had a trail air pin box on my Cardinal 30' and 39' Big Country 5th wheel and the goose box is a much better way to go.

I have a roll top bed cover and no clearance issues. The tow rig is a 2022 short box superduty if that matters.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMcG View Post
    I have a goose box on my 303. I can get about 82 degrees before I get real close to the cab. I got into a "sporty" campground where the spot was supposed to accommodate a 32' trailer. It was tight and did not need all of the clearance I had. The trailer fit but the tow rig did not.

I was not a fan of using a trailer ball for a 5th wheel. Now I have no regrets. I had a trail air pin box on my Cardinal 30' and 39' Big Country 5th wheel and the goose box is a much better way to go.

I have a roll top bed cover and no clearance issues. The tow rig is a 2022 short box superduty if that matters.
    Thanks for the details. I think I will go with a goosebox if my truck order ever gets built!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12