Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic 4-door Fridge Light Melted

Searched the forums and didn't see this anywhere. We have the Dometic RM1350 in our rig. Last trip out (2 weeks ago), when we arrived at our camp site and opened the fridge door to get a cool one, my wife noticed the interior light had come loose from its mount and was dangling free. I tried to replace it, but the interior wall and recessed mounting location were distorted and out of square. Light was also incredibly hot. So much so, it blistered my finger thru the lens. After about 10 mins of unsuccessfully trying to remount it, I gave up. Took the rig into the dealer last week to address the fridge light as just one of a new list of 10 more warranty issues. (We now have had over 50 separate warranty issues in the 17 months we have owned this trailer, but that is for another thread).

The dealer called to confirm that the light had melted the mounting recess and that they were trying to get a new fridge approved under warranty. However, the service writer kept asking how we stored the rig when not in use. Did we leave the fridge doors open while plugged into shore power? Yes, yes we did. "Ah ha!", said the service writer thinking that we caused the problem. Uh, the fridge was powered off and the light does not come on when powered off. "Oh." I did report that the left door was hard to latch, even after adjustment. Maybe it came open during travel and the light overheated and melted the interior wall? Suggestion to Dometic - go LED.

Anyway, new one for me and heads up to others.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that hot light could have had potential to cause serious damage to more than the fridge. Glad Dometic is stepping up and replacing the fridge. Hope you get all the other stuff fixed too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Marcy.

Service advisor said this is second Dometic fridge with same problem. Our fridge is still under GD warranty and the 2-year Dometic warranty. Since the recessed light mount area "melted", nothing to replace or repair. New fridge. Maybe the new ones come with LEDs instead of the halogen.

Dealer says that fridges are on backorder with ship dates of ~3 months.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it sounds like the fridge is still usable and won't stop you from going back out. Autumn in the Blue Ridge is the best camping , fridge or not camping isn't done yet. ! Put your favorite beverage in the same spot so finding it in the dark will be easy
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/