User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh Water Tank Vent syphoning mitigation

We have a 2018 Reflection 230 RL which we bought new, and are really enjoying. BUT at the beginning, when we filled our fresh water tank before heading on the road, we often ended up with little more than 2/3 of a tank when we arrived at our destination. No leaks ... nothing left turned on ... waste tanks hadn't gained what the fresh water tank had lost. Strange.
    One day I looked back as I was pulling out on the road with a full tank, and could see water splashing out on the road behind me. I began to realize where our water was going. With the wide, shallow tank full, once the water started to run out the vent, it continued to be sucked out by syphon action until a bump in the road, or change in direction caused the syphon action to be interrupted.
    We don't normally travel with a full tank unless we are headed for unserviced campgrounds or places with uncertain water quality. So when we do fill before starting out, it is a little disconcerting to arrive with less than our anticipated water ration.
    Once I figured out the problem, the fix was simple. I cut several inches off the vent pipe and cemented on a 3/4" (id) plastic (or ABS) water tap from the hardware store. It gets turned off before we roll (a new item on our pre-departure check-list) and opened as soon as we arrive, or stop to add water to the tank along the way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200923_192130.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	29769

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also buy a $10 Sharkbite 1/4 turn valve and just pop it on in seconds. Worked for me on our Imagine 2600RB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
    2017 Ford F-150 3.5L CC max tow pkg
    Andersen WDH
    EMS-HW30C

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been discussed a lot with various methods. Whatever your method, make sure the valve or cap is open/removed prior to filling the tank or using the water pump. You dont want to pressurize or draw a vacuum on the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just stuck a carrot in the pipe after filling. We removed said carrot when we got to our campsite.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the fill connection is up front at the Nautilus panel I ran 1/2" poly tubing with plastic barb fittings where needed. From the original tank vent it goes up to the propane compartment on the driver side with a goose neck in the enclosure and spilling to the ground below the tank support. I can tell when it approaches full as it whistles when filling. Because the vet is above the tank it stays full and the small amount of water above tank level isn't enough to be concerned about. I also have one less thing to shimmy underneath to reach. If you look at any home that has oil heat you will find a similar application.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-24-2020 at 04:15 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We just stuck a carrot in the pipe after filling. We removed said carrot when we got to our campsite.
    Certainly one of the more humorous (and delicious) solutions out there...
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_johnny View Post
    You can also buy a $10 Sharkbite 1/4 turn valve and just pop it on in seconds. Worked for me on our Imagine 2600RB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So if it starts syphoning, you close the valve?

Once you get to your campsite don't you have to reopen the valve to prevent the pump from creating a vacuum in the tank? And if you reopen it doesn't it just start syphoning again?
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    This has been discussed a lot with various methods. Whatever your method, make sure the valve or cap is open/removed prior to filling the tank or using the water pump. You dont want to pressurize or draw a vacuum on the tank.

The water tank should be vented at the gravity fill also so this shouldn't be a problem, right? I know that when I fill my fresh tank via the panel in the pass-through, I can hear it filling through my gravity fill even with the cap closed. The sound is coming up that line, which has a small screen vent next to the cap.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    So if it starts syphoning, you close the valve?

Once you get to your campsite don't you have to reopen the valve to prevent the pump from creating a vacuum in the tank? And if you reopen it doesn't it just start syphoning again?
    Valid concern and there have been reports of just that. It is more work, but I raised my vent above the tank level. Now it cannot siphon, and it will vent to the atmosphere, without me having to remember to open a valve.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    The water tank should be vented at the gravity fill also so this shouldn't be a problem, right? I know that when I fill my fresh tank via the panel in the pass-through, I can hear it filling through my gravity fill even with the cap closed. The sound is coming up that line, which has a small screen vent next to the cap.
    Not all GD product lines have a gravity fill port. I've had a Momentum and Reflection and neither had the option to gravity fill the FW tank.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast