User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Solitude vs Reflection

I'll post this on the Solitude section and hopefully Reflection owners will chime in. Looking for major differences between the 2 lines. I know the Solitude is the wide body but is there any real differences in frame or structure? What about appliances, same or different. I got an SOB toy hauler but I am missing the extra living space and frankly I think my riding days are not much more. I just got back from a 4 week Alabama to North Dakota and back with stops, and riding, in between. Back and knee surgeries, along with the arthritis makes long riding days uncomfortable. Thinking about a light weight aluminum motorcycle trailer to tow behind a traditional 5th wheel for the occasional time I might want to take the bike. I prefer the RL versions and in a Solitude the 310GK. Not sure what the comparable Reflection is, 337?? Trailer hitch?? Do they come from the factory still and what is the tow/tongue rating on it? Can Reflection be ordered with dual pane windows?

Thanks.
    Last edited by chunker; 09-24-2020 at 07:23 AM.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    I'll post this on the Solitude section and hopefully Reflection owners will chime in. Looking for major differences between the 2 lines. I know the Solitude is the wide body but is there any real differences in frame or structure? What about appliances, same or different. I got an SOB toy hauler but I am missing the extra living space and frankly I think my riding days are not much more. I just got back from a 4 week Alabama to North Dakota and back with stops, and riding, in between. Back and knee surgeries, along with the arthritis makes long riding days uncomfortable. Thinking about a light weight aluminum motorcycle trailer to tow behind a traditional 5th wheel for the occasional time I might want to take the bike. I prefer the RL versions and in a Solitude the 310GK. Not sure why the comparable Reflection is, 337?? Trailer hitch?? Do they come from the factory still and what is the tow/tongue rating on it? Can Reflection be ordered with dual pane windows?

Thanks.
    Be aware that some states don't allow a trailer towed behind a fifth wheel. I don't know that the Solitude is "wider" than a Reflection. RV widths are pretty standard. Now, a Solitude is typically longer than a Reflection.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the Solitudes are 6" wider, and they've got a heavier frame. While many owners do full time camp in a Reflection, the Solitudes are much beefier and better equipped for extended use. But of course, the Solitudes are approximately $20K more.

The 337 is the largest and heaviest Reflection fifth wheel model. There were postings today saying that many Reflection 337 tongue weights were 3100 lbs. after owners' stuff was put in the trailer. That's very borderline for a 3/4 ton truck, and better towed with a 1 ton truck, even if SRW. When you step up to the full size fifth wheels, they're best towed with a 1 ton duallie.

I've got a Reflection 323BHS which is about the same size/weight as the 337 model. We love the trailer's 4 slides and bunkhouse. I have a properly equipped 3/4 ton diesel and it tows my trailer well. But I am completely max'd out vs. specs. But there again, my fifth wheel stays in a member owned campground and I seldom tow it anywhere. If we traveled far and wide, we'd be in a Solitude with a 1 ton DRW truck.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Yes the Solitudes are 6" wider, ....
    Now I'm even more glad we didn't get a Solitude. Some roads we've been on our Reflection just fit.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used our Reflection 28bh for 3 summers now. IMO it's a great trailer. The downsides are the crappy appliances and refrigerator that's common across the Reflection/Solitude/Momentum series. We don't winter in ours, but if we did, we'd probably have gotten a Solitude. The summer heat no longer bothers us, since not only do we have two air conditioners, but I've also added window film to all the windows. However in a very cold climate, the Solitude's better insulation and heated garage, would be preferable.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    I prefer the RL versions and in a Solitude the 310GK. Not sure why the comparable Reflection is, 337?? Trailer hitch?? Do they come from the factory still and what is the tow/tongue rating on it? Can Reflection be ordered with dual pane windows?

Thanks.
    We have the 303 RLS. It is similar to the 337, just a little shorter. The bed is “in-line” with the trailer frame, not across it, and the closet is down the side, not in the nose. We don’t have to put the slide out to use the bed. The bedroom slide contains the closets and a set of drawers. When it is “in”, the lower drawer is against the side of the bed and cannot be accessed. Otherwise, everything in that area is useable with the slide in. With all slides in, you cannot get to the rear of the trailer, but the bedroom, bathroom and front of the kitchen is accessible, including both freezer doors and the front fridge door. If you don’t put too much in the fridge, you can reach everything from that one door.

We ordered ours with the second A/C and dual-pane windows. After a few months, the windows were not sliding correctly, and the rubber tracks were starting to bunch up and tear. The dealer ordered two new windows (the large rear and the large rear over the recliners), as it was evidently cheaper than replacing the rubber slides. After they were installed and we were on our next trip (six weeks), I noticed that the new windows were fogging up a lot. Only took me a minute to figure out that they had replace the dual-pane windows with single-pane. When we got back, they were upgraded back to dual-pane.

During that trip, it was evident that the dual-pane were far superior in both not sweating and in keeping exterior sounds to a minimum. We wouldn’t want a trailer with just the single-pane windows.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I previously had a Solitude 320X which most of it I liked but my GF hated. Most of the hate was related to wanting me to keep the motorhome but the kitchen design with no counter space beside the stove was bad. That's fixed with the 310GK. I have had dual pane windows in previous motorhome and I ordered them for the current Raptor. I like them and feel they are worth the cost and weight gain. That said I may take a bath on the Raptor but with the current RV buying spree, may not too bad. Reference legality of double/triple towing yes I'm aware of issues. Most states out west it's legal and many in the east it's not. I just completed a trip from south Alabama to North Dakota and back and saw many 5th wheels with a trailer in tow. Most were smallish boats but I saw one example of a 20'++ enclosed trailer behind a normal 5th wheel. I'm certain that configuration exceeded all kind of frame design limitations. By normal I mean not a New Horizon or Spacecraft custom build.

I can't imagine traveling on roads where the extra 6" of width would be an issue. My truck is the Ram 3500 SRW with 4207# rated capacity.
    Last edited by chunker; 09-24-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may be in a unique position to answer some of your questions. We spent five years full-time in a Reflection 337RLS and are now in a Solitude 310GK-R (yes - they are near-identical floor plans). We made the move because we intend to stay full-time as long as we can and our early production Reflection didn't have auto-leveling or dual pane windows. We also wanted a residential fridge and a few other amenities.

That said, here are the major differences between the two as I see it:

- The Solitude has a vapor barrier and insulation on top of the Coroplast underbelly - the Reflection does not. This will make a big difference in the winter.

- The Solitudes (except for the S-Class) have hydraulic auto-leveling and main slides - the Reflections have electric leveling and all slides (some folks like the electric levelers better - it's a matter of personal preference).

- We found the Reflection 337 to actually have a bit more storage space inside than the Solitude 310, but everything worked out for us.

- As mentioned, the Solitude has a wider body - but the 310GK is about 11" shorter than the Reflection 337. I've experienced no difference in towing or getting into campsites between the two trailers.

- With standard suspension on both, the GVWR on the Solitude 310 is 1,000 lbs. more than the Reflection 337. Loaded, our Reflection 337 consistently put 3,100 lbs. on the pin (no W/D or generator, but with 2nd bedroom AC). Our Solitude 310 puts about 3,400 lbs. on the pin (no generator, but stacked washer and dryer, front AC and two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries with solar installation.

- You can order dual pane windows and slide toppers on either the Reflection or Solitude. We did not have them on the Reflection and do on the Solitude.

- The Solitude has a bit heavier frame. I don't know that I would have been comfortable double-towing behind the Reflection. It had a rear receiver on it, but it wasn't rated for towing (just bike racks, etc.). The Solitude has a receiver rated for 300 lbs. tongue weight and 3,000 lbs. trailer weight. In either case, I wouldn't double-tow without a dual rear wheel truck.

- There are a few other miscellaneous difference such as the level of the appliances. The Reflection 337 comes standard with a 12 cu. ft. absorption fridge and the residential refrigerator is not an option. The Solitude 310 is standard with an 18 cu. ft. absorption fridge and an 18 cu. ft. residential fridge is optional (we have it and love it).

- I'm not seeing on the GD web site where factory solar is an option on the Reflection. We ordered the Solitude with the solar package (300 watt panel, solar charge controller, automatic transfer switch, and 2,000 watt inverter) to support the residential fridge on the road or during power outages.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We may be in a unique position to answer some of your questions. We spent five years full-time in a Reflection 337RLS and are now in a Solitude 310GK-R (yes - they are near-identical floor plans). We made the move because we intend to stay full-time as long as we can and our early production Reflection didn't have auto-leveling or dual pane windows. We also wanted a residential fridge and a few other amenities.

That said, here are the major differences between the two as I see it:

- The Solitude has a vapor barrier and insulation on top of the Coroplast underbelly - the Reflection does not. This will make a big difference in the winter.

- The Solitudes (except for the S-Class) have hydraulic auto-leveling and main slides - the Reflections have electric leveling and all slides (some folks like the electric levelers better - it's a matter of personal preference).

- We found the Reflection 337 to actually have a bit more storage space inside than the Solitude 310, but everything worked out for us.

- As mentioned, the Solitude has a wider body - but the 310GK is about 11" shorter than the Reflection 337. I've experienced no difference in towing or getting into campsites between the two trailers.

- With standard suspension on both, the GVWR on the Solitude 310 is 1,000 lbs. more than the Reflection 337. Loaded, our Reflection 337 consistently put 3,100 lbs. on the pin (no W/D or generator, but with 2nd bedroom AC). Our Solitude 310 puts about 3,400 lbs. on the pin (no generator, but stacked washer and dryer, front AC and two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries with solar installation.

- You can order dual pane windows and slide toppers on either the Reflection or Solitude. We did not have them on the Reflection and do on the Solitude.

- The Solitude has a bit heavier frame. I don't know that I would have been comfortable double-towing behind the Reflection. It had a rear receiver on it, but it wasn't rated for towing (just bike racks, etc.). The Solitude has a receiver rated for 300 lbs. tongue weight and 3,000 lbs. trailer weight. In either case, I wouldn't double-tow without a dual rear wheel truck.

- There are a few other miscellaneous difference such as the level of the appliances. The Reflection 337 comes standard with a 12 cu. ft. absorption fridge and the residential refrigerator is not an option. The Solitude 310 is standard with an 18 cu. ft. absorption fridge and an 18 cu. ft. residential fridge is optional (we have it and love it).

- I'm not seeing on the GD web site where factory solar is an option on the Reflection. We ordered the Solitude with the solar package (300 watt panel, solar charge controller, automatic transfer switch, and 2,000 watt inverter) to support the residential fridge on the road or during power outages.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rob
    Rob thanks, that's a very good comparison especially since you have had both. I looked at 310s a couple years ago and I recall the 300/3000 receiver sticker. I saw hitches on Reflections but didn't check for stickers. I may step back up to a DRW regardless what I do in RVs. I'm at the "ragged edge" of limitations with the 3500 SRW and that involves very careful loading, and down loading. Darn near everything heavy is in the garage of the Raptor and only minimal fluids. I do have an aux tank on the truck which gives me just about 50 gallons extra fuel. I like having fuel location flexibility. Yes I have weighed and verified actual weights, not guessing or using brochure weights. Did you weigh your 310 before and after adding the suspension upgrades and W/D? Curious how much extra safety weighs. What battery upgrades did you do to the 310 or did you transfer the batteries from the 337? Do you travel regularly or tend to sit in a location for a significant period of time? We tend to stay someone place no more than 5-6 days and the one time we were somewhere for 2 weeks I felt like we should register to vote. Joke!! We are not full-time and won't, but trips are long time. This last one was 4 weeks and one of the shorter ones. On the way back home it was just drive with 2 nights in rest areas. Not sure a residential refer would hold the cold that well for us.

David (retired Army also)

EDIT I just re-read your post and saw the 310 battery change. My mind was "remembering" you said that was on the 337. What weight difference are the Battle born vs what I presume was 2 FLA batteries?

If I go the Solitude route I'll likely order one since it's difficult to find what I want on lots. Dual pane windows, generator, queen bed and maybe full body paint. Paint is very expensive when you look at "retail" $$$ but when you figure 30%+- off not so painful.
    Last edited by chunker; 09-24-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other difference- you can't get full body paint on the Reflection.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast