User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    One other difference- you can't get full body paint on the Reflection.
    Yep thanks. I did further research after my original posting and didn't see FBP offered on the Reflection.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    If I go the Solitude route I'll likely order one since it's difficult to find what I want on lots. Dual pane windows, generator, queen bed and maybe full body paint. Paint is very expensive when you look at "retail" $$$ but when you figure 30%+- off not so painful.

In addition, (unless things have changed since the 2018 models) I believe Grand Design does not offer generator prep and generator as an option for the Reflection series.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Rob thanks, that's a very good comparison especially since you have had both. I looked at 310s a couple years ago and I recall the 300/3000 receiver sticker. I saw hitches on Reflections but didn't check for stickers. I may step back up to a DRW regardless what I do in RVs. I'm at the "ragged edge" of limitations with the 3500 SRW and that involves very careful loading, and down loading. Darn near everything heavy is in the garage of the Raptor and only minimal fluids. I do have an aux tank on the truck which gives me just about 50 gallons extra fuel. I like having fuel location flexibility. Yes I have weighed and verified actual weights, not guessing or using brochure weights. Did you weigh your 310 before and after adding the suspension upgrades and W/D? Curious how much extra safety weighs. What battery upgrades did you do to the 310 or did you transfer the batteries from the 337? Do you travel regularly or tend to sit in a location for a significant period of time? We tend to stay someone place no more than 5-6 days and the one time we were somewhere for 2 weeks I felt like we should register to vote. Joke!! We are not full-time and won't, but trips are long time. This last one was 4 weeks and one of the shorter ones. On the way back home it was just drive with 2 nights in rest areas. Not sure a residential refer would hold the cold that well for us.

David (retired Army also)

EDIT I just re-read your post and saw the 310 battery change. My mind was "remembering" you said that was on the 337. What weight difference are the Battle born vs what I presume was 2 FLA batteries?

If I go the Solitude route I'll likely order one since it's difficult to find what I want on lots. Dual pane windows, generator, queen bed and maybe full body paint. Paint is very expensive when you look at "retail" $$$ but when you figure 30%+- off not so painful.
    1) Did you weigh your 310 before and after adding the suspension upgrades and W/D? - The MORryde independent suspension and disk brakes were installed in Elkhart prior to delivery to our dealer, but MORryde says the 7,000 lb. suspension units add about 400 lbs. over the OEM suspension system. We did not weight the 310 empty on the way home from the dealer. By the time we weighed it coming home from the W/D installation, we had already moved in. That weigh-in resulted in 13,000 lbs. (on the nose) on the trailer axles and 3,320 lbs. on the pin. This included 800 lbs. of fresh water (which we will not travel with) and about 200 lbs. of extra "pandemic" food stores. About 200 lbs of that is the W/D. Of course, dual pane windows and slide toppers add weight, too.

2) What battery upgrades did you do to the 310 or did you transfer the batteries from the 337? - We had a regular L/A flooded battery in the Reflection. I purchased two Battle Born 100AH LiFePO4 batteries for the Solitude to compliment the the solar system and run the residential fridge. The BBs are about 1/2 the weight of and Interstate 100AH L//A battery (30 lbs. each vs. 60 lbs.). I installed the thermostatically controlled heating pads on the BB batteries for cold weather (we're wintering farther north this year than we usually do).

3) Do you travel regularly or tend to sit in a location for a significant period of time? - In our first 4-1/2 years, we moved 234 times (including overnight stops getting somewhere). Since the pandemic hit, we've moved twice (with two overnight stops). We stayed three months in Augusta, GA, from March to June, and then moved to Aberdeen Proving Ground in MD, where we will spend the winter close to grandkids. In the past, the longest we have stayed in one place is one month in our favorite Escapees parks or 1 - 2 months near grandkids or my family in New Mexico (a great place to winter!). We hope to become rolling stones again in the spring...

4) Not sure a residential refer would hold the cold that well for us. - The residential refrigerators are actually insulated as well or better than the Norcolds. In our five years with the Norcold 1210, we had to have the entire cooling unit replaced (at about two years) and the fridge failed in other modes two or three times other than that. We got very tired of the scramble to get it repaired each time and trying to save food from spoiling. A couple of good batteries with the 1,000 watt inverter that comes with the residential fridge will keep it running for longer than I'll travel in a day. The BB batteries and solar extend that a bunch.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 09-24-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Yes the Solitudes are 6" wider, and they've got a heavier frame. While many owners do full time camp in a Reflection, the Solitudes are much beefier and better equipped for extended use. But of course, the Solitudes are approximately $20K more.
    @chunker IIRC the widths are 96" for most Reflections and 101" for most Solitudes, so 5" wider.

Having towed both (we started with a Reflection 320MKS) I can't say that the few extra inches of width has made any significant difference on the road or in where we can go. Where it DOES make a difference is in clearance between the trailer and the truck cab; if you have a short-bed truck then turning radius is even more limited before trailer dents cab.

You ask which Reflection is comparable to the Solitude 310GK. The 320MKS is nearly exactly the same length and only a few hundred pounds heavier than the 310GK so it's at least a contender for comparison, though a different layout. We (royal we, my wife wanted out) traded it primarily because of windows, believe it or not. The Solitudes often have a lot more glass and a whole lot more light than many Reflection models, certainly more than the 320MKS.

The Solitudes also offer other nice features such as dual air conditioners, bigger basements, hydraulic jacks instead of electric jacks, and more.

Yes, the Reflections can be ordered with double-pane glass. Our Reflection didn't have it, our Solitude does, we think it's worth it.

Trailer hitch? Our 2018 Solitude doesn't have one but Grand Design has flopped around between bumpers and hitches so it's best to confirm with dealer/GD. I *think* later model Solitudes do have a hitch but don't take my word for it. As someone has said there are states in which you cannot tow with it.

Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-24-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the 2018 Hershey show we debated between the 337 and 310. Can’t tell you how many times we went back and forth between units. There are lots of subtle details that in our mind really made the solitude stand out in addition to all the comments above. Helps a lot to see in person if you can find both at one dealer.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitudes we looked at were slightly taller "upstairs" (the area over the truck bed) as compared to the Reflections we looked at. That was a big deal to me because I'm tall and hit my head on the forward portion of the ceiling of the Reflections. I still have to duck under the doorways in our Solitude but I can stand up without hitting my head.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitudes are taller, Reflection ceiling is slanted to the rear not full height all the way down. Also the Solitude has a drop frame which allows for larger basement areas in some models with less CCC than the Reflection. We have been looking and comparing our 303 storage and CC to some Solitudes and we still have more interior cabinet space and CCC in the 303 than some of the smaller Solitudes. There are trade offs both ways and it will all come down to what is important to you and the amount of time you plan on spending in the unit. For us we are waiting to look t the new S class 3540 when/if the dealer ever gets it in. The S class is kind of a mash up of the 2.. I like to call ithe S class a Reflection on steroids
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Be aware that some states don't allow a trailer towed behind a fifth wheel. I don't know that the Solitude is "wider" than a Reflection. RV widths are pretty standard. Now, a Solitude is typically longer than a Reflection.
    Most I-95 corridor states don't allow double towing. Might want to check out the swivel wheel carrier. https://www.cruiserlifts.com/
    Gets rid of the problems backing your rig.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Now I'm even more glad we didn't get a Solitude. Some roads we've been on our Reflection just fit.
    Our Solitude is the same width as the rear fender wells on our DRW truck (and the mirrors, too). Any place the truck will fit, the Solitude will fit.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reflection has electric stabilizers but no leveling system. I actually prefer the manual on the Imagine since they were independent. One side or the other always seems to be off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast