Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof

First season with my Imagine, and I note that the trusses for the roof are approx. 3- 3.5 feet away from each other, with a 3/8 CDX ply on top. Not sure what code says that walkable, but needless to say, inbetween each truss, the ply is starting to sag. Additionally, and more worrisome, is the fact that the roof directly over each truss has turned a dark black, indicating the 3/4 truss that is glued to the ply. So, from side to side, long dark streaks depicting the exact location of each truss.
    Why do I have dark streaks where the trusses are? Only one answer, moisture. The ply is glued/stapled down, and they rust, but not for the entire length. Others?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it's 3/8" CDX and not OSB? Also the main roof trusses according to GD's site are wood not aluminum so no rusting. Only the slide roof has aluminum trusses. I wouldn't want anything less than 16" OC with 3/8's if it were me. 24" OC is still pushing it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Are you sure it's 3/8" CDX and not OSB? Also the main roof trusses according to GD's site are wood not aluminum so no rusting. Only the slide roof has aluminum trusses. I wouldn't want anything less than 16" OC with 3/8's if it were me. 24" OC is still pushing it.
    CDX, OSB, both are garbage. Of course the trusses aren't metal, but the ply is stapled down, after a construction adhesive is applied. Spacing? Residential code calls for 16" o.c. for 3/8", 24" o/c needs 1/2" and even that is weak. Yes, there is no doubt about the spacing, for the lines have become visible. They throw some much garbage on the roof that they cant get them any closer. Point is, why are there blacks lines denoting the locations? Moisture, its got to be, and not just from the staples used.

BTW- pop a roof speaker inside, you can move the insulation away and see the trusses.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code? Non existent for RV's. So you're complaining about something you could've researched before you bought it? Moisture? Probably condensation from an enclosed system. No roof venting. Too much $ to install in the Imagine line. Guessing the Solitude has them. You could add some yourself.
    https://www.recpro.com/exterior-part...caAt56EALw_wcB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never thought that residential code would apply, I was commenting on them calling it 'walkable' when supports are spaced out so far apart. I made the comparison to residential roofing.

Roof venting (3 of them) vents the interior cabin space, not the roof cavity. Its not like there are soffit vents :]

Photos depict what I am talking about. Its obvious where the trusses are, and the sag occurring in ply, due to spacing, is exacerbating the issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200925_120826.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	29780
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200925_120843.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	29781

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those black streaks are where the roof sheathing is joined together. Figure you already know that. No black streaks on the other roof trusses. Not sure I would call it a moisture issue. It is puzzling that the black streaks are only where the sheathing butts together. I know from past experience that you get bumps or deflections in those areas, but I've never seen black streaks show up in only those areas.
    Maybe a call to GD would help.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheathing only butts together over a truss, rafter, etc...all have black streaks, just not in the two pics I uploaded. ITs a definate issue, for a unit in its first year, regardless of the trim level (momentum, Imagine, etc)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think goducks14 is correct. A call to GD would be recommended at this point. Instead of always wondering find out for sure what is going on for peace of mind. Have your vin # ready when you call that will be their first question.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going in for warranty work tomorrow, a state away.
    I am sure they will downplay the roof, probably blame it on me and tell me to paint it. I will update for I see no other possibility other than moisture. So many other issues that are failing after having it for 9 weeks...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of posts on this topic, search: roof mold line every 4 foot

Happens on the joints, less so on where the rafters are. I have some spaced more than 16” due to GDRV dropping in a vent or other roof hole.
    Good luck.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast