User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its War! (with rodents)

We store our rig in one of the barns on the farm. We have constantly battled mice and rats. Rats did about $4000 worth of damage to a previous trailer we had. We tried Fresh Cab and several other scent deterrents with no success. Even tried an expensive ultrasonic repeller - I think it was on "come on in" mode rather than "stay away". On our Reflection, I have spent hours sealing every possible gap and hole with spray foam, copper mesh and eternabond or Gorilla tape. Then sprayed Mouse Free on the undercarriage. We maintain traps in most drawers, in pass-thru, under sinks, etc. Even with all of that, I am looking for additional methods to win this war. Has anyone ever thought about or used something like https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-scatma...ntent=PetSafe# around the tires/contact points?

We can't use poisons due to cats and dogs.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, there is no way to keep them out. I don't even try any more. Instead, I just take care of them once they are inside by using snap traps.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I guess we’re lucky, as we’ve never seen a single rodent or bug in ours after almost 3 years of ownership.
    All we have as a deterrent is a string of bright lights under our trailer that come on at dusk off at dawn. I really only installed those because I like the way it looks and as somewhat of a security measure; no one is hiding in the shadows.
    Oh, and about once a month or so I spray a generous amount of Home Defense all underneath the trailer and on the tires, frame, jacks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being near a creek in FL a river rat found itw way inside a couple years ago. Those darned things are smart and we had to resort to poision.

Last year there were signs of rats in the Gazebo so I went on an every other day regimine of dropping several droppers full around the gazebo and trailer with straight Peppermint essential oil It took 2 days and no there was no more sign of rats droppings or rats.. we don't leave home without it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Being near a creek in FL a river rat found its way inside a couple years ago.
    Those darned things are smart and we had to resort to poison.

Last year, there were signs of rats in the Gazebo, so I went on an every other day regimen of dropping several droppers full around the gazebo and trailer with straight Peppermint essential oil It took 2 days and no there was no more sign of rats droppings or rats.. we don't leave home without it.

From what I've read (dozens of sources) this is yet another myth...
    If you consider the noxious gases in a sewer, a landfill, a dumpster... Peppermint would be a joke. Mothballs too. My guess is it's a random event, whether any specific rodent shows up at your place or not. Maybe they didn't find anything interesting last time they visited so they haven't been back. That's the most logical reason.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are having a problem in our house and a couple of out buildings. So far they have ruined the evap emissions system on a Saab (and that car was used daily), the under hood insulation on a Jetta, my garden tractor ignition wiring, a couple of moving blankets. AND it has attracted a bunch of snakes which actually have helped clean them out a bit. RV to be ordered would be parked next to the out buildings so I am starting pest control early.

We have something in the attic that simply defies description. I put rat sized glue traps with a dollop of peanut butter, garlic powder, and a chunk of salami - 4 traps in all. All cleaned out and it is not dumb. Left a trail of styrofoam nuggets to get to the bait on one trap and a pink plastic pig from a farm set on another. Darn scary or a sense of humor - not sure which.

Two weekends ago I purchased two 5 gallon buckets and this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. 5 mice in one bucket with PB and garlic as bait located in an outdoor shed in 2 days. I put another bucket in the attic and something is reaching the peanut butter, but not falling in.

I've been hearing scratching noises behind an upstairs fireplace mantle for a long time with mouse dirt falling out of the crack. I installed the 6 electronic repellers in the house - one in garage, two in basement, and three in bedrooms and right under the fireplace mantle. It took about a week, but I have not heard any scratching for 3 days now. Not conclusive, but promising. The boys say they haven't heard scratching above their ceilings last couple of days either. Exterminators wanted a 1 year contract and hundereds of dollars per visit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 17 years we have lived in Texas we have had problems with fire ants, scorpions, snakes dangerous and not, opossums, armadillos, spiders dangerous and not, bees, wasps, hornets and others. Fire ants will invade and fully fill a solar yard light. They are nasty!! The only thing that as gotten in the RV is spiders, ants and geckos. Glue traps and terro usually take care of them.

When i had my shop, I have worked on vehicles where wiring and spark plug wires were totally chewed up.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can attest that scat-mats will keep dogs off a couch, no experience with other critters.
    Last edited by Cerebus; 09-28-2020 at 05:54 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a year where we had all kinds of mouse/rat problems here in NE Texas. After one chewed its way into the ac system in my Tundra, I started asking the local farmers and they said to get some Fox Urine and put it around the vehicles in the car port, including a few drops on the tires. It worked. Hadn't had an issue since. I guess since foxes are natural predators they stay clear of their scent.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 340RDS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW Limited

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Decon and Mothballs. Seems to work pretty good, but the camper smells like mothballs for weeks after we "Springerize".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast