Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interstate route to Grand Canyon from Cincinnaiti area

Hi all,
    Worshiping at the altar of your collective wisdom. Anyone have experience traveling west bound ohio to Grand Canyon. Comparing 70 vs 40? I know 70 through Nebraska but west of there? OR, take a more southern route on 40. Anyone have any experience? Thanks in advance.
    Dave

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go thru Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock and west all the way on I-40 toward Flagstaff, AZ. Just past Flagstaff, you'll turn north toward the Grand Canyon.

It's just a long drive. First time I went that way, I didn't realize that New Mexico is essentially uphill going east to west--a surprise. I hope your tow vehicle is very sufficient.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I would go thru Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock and west all the way on I-40 toward Flagstaff, AZ. Just past Flagstaff, you'll turn north toward the Grand Canyon.

It's just a long drive. First time I went that way, I didn't realize that New Mexico is essentially uphill going east to west--a surprise. I hope your tow vehicle is very sufficient.
    I agree, I-40 IMHO is the better route.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ditto on 40. You don't have the mess to deal with on 70, especially Denver and the mountains. If you have time make a loop out of it . See Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Capital Reef and Monument Valley. They are north of the park along the Arizona/Utah border. You could even see Mesa Verdy, hit Durango (train is not running) and then back down to I40 using 550 south to ABQ. Lots of places to stop and see things along I40 too. One thing - do not drive through Albuquerque at rush hour and stay out of the 2 right lanes if possible and the far left high speed lane. Some drivers are nuts there! Be careful on the down grade into town too. Get fuel before (Moriarty) or after town (several truck stops west). Do not try to get fuel in town off of I 40 - its a huge mess) Also consider trying to drive old US 66 where you can along the way.

Have fun and be safe - be sure to take your masks and follow the Covid rules.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in northwestern Arizona, my recommendation would be to take 40. Traveling west on I-40 and 30 minutes past Flagstaff turn right at Williams to head to the grand canyon. And since your in the vicinity please visit Williams. If you want the flavor of what route 66 is all about then head downtown, you'll think you just stepped back in time 60 years. And while your at it stop in at Pine Country Restaurant for a slice of home made pie. If your looking for an RV park there are several nice ones in Williams. Safe travels!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I40 for sure to Williams, Az. I've run that route at least a dozen times. I've also done other routes but the 40 is a straight shot.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Ditto on 40. You don't have the mess to deal with on 70, especially Denver and the mountains. If you have time make a loop out of it . See Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Capital Reef and Monument Valley. They are north of the park along the Arizona/Utah border. You could even see Mesa Verdy, hit Durango (train is not running) and then back down to I40 using 550 south to ABQ. Lots of places to stop and see things along I40 too. One thing - do not drive through Albuquerque at rush hour and stay out of the 2 right lanes if possible and the far left high speed lane. Some drivers are nuts there! Be careful on the down grade into town too. Get fuel before (Moriarty) or after town (several truck stops west). Do not try to get fuel in town off of I 40 - its a huge mess) Also consider trying to drive old US 66 where you can along the way.

Have fun and be safe - be sure to take your masks and follow the Covid rules.
    Thanks for the heads up about Albuquerque, and avoiding it during rush hour. Tucumcari to Gallup will be our Day #4 leg when we go out west next year....about 320 miles or so. Looks like if we get a 9AM to 10Am start out of Tucumcari, albuquerque will be around 1PM....so all good I think.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"