User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP! Dead RV with the jacks down. [emoji2357]

Went to pick the Momentum up from storage and it’s dead as a dodo. [emoji853]

I plugged the umbilical into our running truck but that doesn’t seem to have helped. Is it possible to “jump” it from the truck battery so I can get the generator running?

I’ve attached a pic of the batteries and where I think jumper cables should go.

Any help is much appreciated, we’re a little stuck right now. [emoji51]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3497.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	29783

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked to ensure the battery disconnect switch isnt accidentally off. The one control system is downstream of the switch. I think the outdoor panel is upstream of the switch, but there is no standard how these things are wired.

The jack system uses quite a bit of power, so the pigtail from the truck wont help much. A direct jump from the truck battery could be more helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the reply! We’ve tried the Battery disconnect in both positions, no joy.

Is the location I marked with the arrows in the picture the right place to attach the jumper cables? And is that the right battery in the bank to attach them to?

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be best to attach the battery to the terminals where the blue wire loom is. Those are the leads that come off the generator, then you should be able to fire it up. Might be best to turn it on from the generator directly as opposed to the One Control panel, doesnt really make a difference, but if your low on battery power you wont need to turn on the One Control system.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Back home to get jumper cables. I’ll report back. [emoji4]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMClass View Post
    Thanks! Back home to get jumper cables. I’ll report back. [emoji4]
    You should leave a pair in the truck in case it happens again [emoji6]. Hope it works out, let us know.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMClass View Post
    Went to pick the Momentum up from storage and it’s dead as a dodo. [emoji853]

I plugged the umbilical into our running truck but that doesn’t seem to have helped. Is it possible to “jump” it from the truck battery so I can get the generator running?

I’ve attached a pic of the batteries and where I think jumper cables should go.

Any help is much appreciated, we’re a little stuck right now. [emoji51]Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	29783

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DO NOT JUMP WHERE YOU HAVE INDICATED. Sorry for yelling, but those are 6V batteries (you can tell because they have three cells). Your truck is (most likely) 12 volts. Jumping a 12v system to a 6v system will cause a lot of damage.

If you can find the 12v points (my first **guess** would be the two heavy blue wires in your picture), you can jumper from the truck to the trailer.

You do not say what truck you have. If it is a newer Ford, you have to connect the trailer first, have the truck running then step on the brakes (maybe for a couple of seconds) before the truck will start charging the batteries. On my truck, it will only charge the batteries at a low ( less than 10 A) rate, so would take a long time to charge fully discharged batteries.

If the lead acid batteries (pictured) in the trailer are completely dead, they have probably been damaged and will not hold a full charge again. The 6V you have are more tolerant than 12V batteries, but they can still be damaged.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem - really two problems. 1) Both batteries where to low to work and an in-line fuse had blown. There is an in-line fuse in our front basement compartment that was hard to see/find. After replacing the batteries and finally finding and replacing the fuse we got the legs to work. I had discovered how to use the slide out switches to make the legs work - its in the owners manual.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    DO NOT JUMP WHERE YOU HAVE INDICATED. Sorry for yelling, but those are 6V batteries (you can tell because they have three cells). Your truck is (most likely) 12 volts. Jumping a 12v system to a 6v system will cause a lot of damage.

If you can find the 12v points (my first **guess** would be the two heavy blue wires in your picture), you can jumper from the truck to the trailer.

You do not say what truck you have. If it is a newer Ford, you have to connect the trailer first, have the truck running then step on the brakes (maybe for a couple of seconds) before the truck will start charging the batteries. On my truck, it will only charge the batteries at a low ( less than 10 A) rate, so would take a long time to charge fully discharged batteries.

If the lead acid batteries (pictured) in the trailer are completely dead, they have probably been damaged and will not hold a full charge again. The 6V you have are more tolerant than 12V batteries, but they can still be damaged.

Chris
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	29785
    No worries on the yell at all!! I appreciate it!! So attach as shown in this picture instead?

Thanks!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like four 6V batteries, wired as two in series producing 12V and the other 12V series pair wired in parallel. You can’t jumper across a 6V with your 12V truck battery per the arrows you’ve shown. If I read the photo correctly, the arrow on the left is on NEG and that is OK, connect to truck NEG battery terminal. The arrow on the right is on a POS and should not be used. Connect jumper from Truck POS to the POS terminal on the battery in the upper right, it should be the back terminal. Your 12V truck battery must jumper across two 6V batteries wired in series. As noted above you could also jump across the turquoise cables.

EDIT - by the time I typed this, others noted the 6V batteries. Good thing we look out for each other, eh?

pic above is good to go!
    Last edited by Skiddy; 09-25-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast