Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 chevy 2500 standard bed with Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel Hitch

Newbie here, first time posting a new thread …. We have a 2020 chevy 2500HD with a 2021 reflection 150 series 268BH. I purchased the AUH 3220 last week and just spoke to someone at Andersen who said the 3220 will not have enough clearance (tailgate and side rail) with the new 2020 Chevy 2500’s.

Trying to get as much info before trying it because once I do I won’t be able to return the hitch.

Does anyone have the same/similar setup and been successful?

Thanks for any help,
    David

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have this combination truck and camper but the 150 series fifthwheels have a turning point pinbox. Which means the pinbox pivots much further back and not at the hitch. You'd lock it from pivoting at the hitch and let the pinbox pivot without fear of hitting sidewalls or tailgate. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I installed the AUH 3220 and was successful in brining home our new Reflection. The hitch performed great and I’ve got plenty of tailgate and bed rail clearance. I can even turn 90 degrees. Here’s my scenario in case it helps anyone:
    - 2020 Chevy 2500HD, Standard bed (6’10”)
    - 2021 Reflection 150 Series 268BH, turning point pin box (in the locked position, right you are jason178!)
    - Pin box coupler facing backwards
    - Ball on lowest height

I think if I got the AUH 3217 I wouldn’t have felt comfortable raising the trailer to the height required to connect.

David

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    I don't have this combination truck and camper but the 150 series fifthwheels have a turning point pinbox. Which means the pinbox pivots much further back and not at the hitch. You'd lock it from pivoting at the hitch and let the pinbox pivot without fear of hitting sidewalls or tailgate. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    That's not possible with an Andersen Ultimate hitch:

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...k-version.aspx

The Turning Point pin box requires a conventional 5th wheel hitch.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson only requires a lock out on the rotaflex pin box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3220 vs 3217

Quote Originally Posted by dcardella View Post
    Update: I installed the AUH 3220 and was successful in brining home our new Reflection. The hitch performed great and I’ve got plenty of tailgate and bed rail clearance. I can even turn 90 degrees. Here’s my scenario in case it helps anyone:
    - 2020 Chevy 2500HD, Standard bed (6’10”)
    - 2021 Reflection 150 Series 268BH, turning point pin box (in the locked position, right you are jason178!)
    - Pin box coupler facing backwards
    - Ball on lowest height

I think if I got the AUH 3217 I wouldn’t have felt comfortable raising the trailer to the height required to connect.

David
    I agree with you. My bother-in-law has the standard 3220 Andersen hitch in his 2020 GMC 2500 Denali and he has 5 to 6 inches of bed rail clearance on his Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. My wife and I are going to get a fifth wheel and I have a 2022 Silverado 3500 SWR Duramax. Andersen is trying to tell me to go with the $300 more expensive and taller 3217 model. I don't think I want a taller unit as I want my solid folding tonneau cover to still go over it when the trailer is parked. Plus my bother-in-law has that amount of clearance with the ball on the middle, not highest, position, so if he did get in a situation where the trailer was down in a low campsite and his truck was pulling it out uphill (where the clearance at the bedrails back by the tailgate would be tight), he could always set the ball on the 3220 at the highest point to get it out, and then lower the ball (after unhitching the trailer) to a height where the trailer pulls level. I don't see where there is $300 or 30% more material and cost in the 3217 that they charge $1239 versus $939 for the 3220. They must be pushing to sell that model for higher profit margins.