User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason to use a TPMS - lost tires while driving?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Likes to tow. Thanks for sharing your misfortune. The number of points of failure on these rigs is crazy! I was set to do my departure tire/wheel pretrip this morning before our trip home. I read your post before hand which caused me to realize, "I know my lugs are torqued to 120 but are they too tight?" I always check mine with a torque wrench before every departure. But I don't know what was done before I took delivery.

So based on your post I backed off every lugnut this morning and re-torqued to spec. Being sure to use the star pattern. That was a pretty good workout!
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OurNewEra has a very critical point on this post. Having over 40 years in the automotive service industry, my belief is that many failures happen from overtorquing wheel lug nuts. That was my first thought when reading this post, especially because of the studs shearing at the drum. If you are the only one or the last one to torque the nuts from a loose condition, you are probably safe in checking torque in a clockwise rotation. Should someone else have been the person torquing the wheel, backing off the nut before retorquing is the right procedure. An overtorqued nut has stretched the stud beyond its proper limit and it can shear off very easily. IMHO.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to recheck mine. I have been the only one who has either removed or reinstalled the wheels. And I've torqued them. But it has been a long time.

Here is my question.... should I loosed all the logs a bit first and then re-torque? I don't think I'd loosen them much, maybe 14 or 1/2 turn.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Hi @Likes to tow. Thanks for sharing your misfortune. The number of points of failure on these rigs is crazy! I was set to do my departure tire/wheel pretrip this morning before our trip home. I read your post before hand which caused me to realize, "I know my lugs are torqued to 120 but are they too tight?" I always check mine with a torque wrench before every departure. But I don't know what was done before I took delivery.

So based on your post I backed off every lugnut this morning and re-torqued to spec. Being sure to use the star pattern. That was a pretty good workout!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I am going to recheck mine. I have been the only one who has either removed or reinstalled the wheels. And I've torqued them. But it has been a long time.

Here is my question.... should I loosed all the logs a bit first and then re-torque? I don't think I'd loosen them much, maybe 14 or 1/2 turn.

Thanks.
    On mine I broke them loose and then went loose about another 1/2 turn. Did both opposing nuts and then re-torqued. Repeated for each pair of opposing lugnuts.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, you did great IMHO. The idea is to make sure they are not overtorqued.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    If I go outside this morning and listen real carefully I can hear folks everywhere with wrenches checking their lug nuts!!!!!!!! LOL
    Count me in! 😛

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked all the lug nuts on my trailer. All were hand tightened without a torque wrench last year during my annual maintenance. First I put my torque wrench in loosen mode and set it at 100 lbs. Then if the nut did not start to loosen I increased the torque setting until it did. None were over 120 lbs which tells me my near tragic event was not caused by over tightened lug nuts breaking. The Dexter book in my trailer says to tighten them 90 120 lbs. All began to loosen at 120 or less. So my problem was caused apparently by not tightening this particular wheel last year and not checking them again after a few miles or at intervals during travel. I think you should check tire pressure before each trip and also check your lug nuts.

I hope me posting this thread has caused many to re think their maintenance and especially see the importance of properly tightening lug nuts to specs and re checking from time to time!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    OurNewEra has a very critical point on this post. Having over 40 years in the automotive service industry, my belief is that many failures happen from overtorquing wheel lug nuts. That was my first thought when reading this post, especially because of the studs shearing at the drum. If you are the only one or the last one to torque the nuts from a loose condition, you are probably safe in checking torque in a clockwise rotation. Should someone else have been the person torquing the wheel, backing off the nut before retorquing is the right procedure. An overtorqued nut has stretched the stud beyond its proper limit and it can shear off very easily. IMHO.
    I totally agree and this is why all major tire shops now do a torque wrench tightening by the appropriate person before your vehicle leaves the garage. I can remember times when the air impact wrench was the only tightening done and those things can put lug nuts on way past the torque limit of the stud !!!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bolts and wheel studs are engineered for certain amount of torque; with that in mine, think of a rubber band and how it stretches. But unlike a rubber band, bolts or studs never returns to original length - damage is already done. Once a bolt has been stretched it is weaken and depending on how much it was stretched determines how much damage was done.
    Torque wrenches are not all created equal; get a name brand torque wrench that you trust not the Harbor Freight variety - one made in USA if possible. I keep a Harbor Freight one in truck for emergencies but never use it to check torques - it is better than nothing with emphasizes on nothing. Torque wrench need to be calibrated on regular intervals but most of us don't have torque monitors to check them. Most torque wrenches used in production are checked at least once per shift, most of time they are checked twice per shift. Torque monitors are sent out to specialized lab to be checked at regular intervals, what the use in checking if torque monitor is off.
    Unfortunately most bolts and studs come from China where quality is not very good. Same goes for lug nuts and rims.
    This is truly just a wild a~~ guess, but suspect studs were stretched. You will probably never know root cause of the problem.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 09-28-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast