Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class A drivers license

We purchased our first 5th wheel this year, Momentum 395M. The gvw is 20,000 lbs. I recently discovered that a special license is needed in Nevada if your combined weight is over 26,000 lbs. I tow with a 2015 Silverado 3500 dully. I had never heard of this. Was I the only one who didn’t know this?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
    We purchased our first 5th wheel this year, Momentum 395M. The gvw is 20,000 lbs. I recently discovered that a special license is needed in Nevada if your combined weight is over 26,000 lbs. I tow with a 2015 Silverado 3500 dully. I had never heard of this. Was I the only one who didn’t know this?
    Not at all. That's one of the items that RV dealers don't tend to give buyers a head's up about.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
    It's actually not just nevada. It's federal.
    There is an exemption written right into the law for rv'ers.

Recreational Vehicle Operators - Recreational vehicle operators, when using the vehicle primarily for personal use, do not need a CDL.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xZrLoLc_VetEou

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, your best bet is to call the DOT. That is what I finally did over hauling doubles and the legality of trailer length. They pointed me right where to look and I printed out the law and carry it in my pickup.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevada requires an endorsement for pulling a trailer/fifth wheel over 10,000 lbs also. It is called a J endorsement. Greater than 26,000 combined I believe requires a non-commercial class A.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every state has their own somewhat unique regulations. For example, in California you can drive any two axle vehicle with a GVWR up to 26k lbs and pull a fifth wheel trailer 10-15k lbs GVW with just a trailers endorsement on your Class C DL known as "restriction 41". Once your trailer goes over 15k lbs GVWR, you must obtain a non-commercial Class A license.

So for example, my 14k lb GVWR F450 could tow a fifth wheel up to 15k lbs, for a GCWR (combined weights) of 29k lbs, and I would still be legal with my Class C license with the Restriction 41 endorsement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	license requirements.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	29793
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing in SC, I need to get a non-commercial CDL to be legal towing with my 450 and 351M. I haven't done it yet, primarily because once I bought the truck, COVID hit, and I'm not getting in the car with anyone I don't know to get a stupid "chit" on my license. I did call my local DMV and ask them about it, they had to look it up and the woman talking to me said basically "Well, I learned something new, AFAIK, we've never administered that test here, but we are able to do it, come on in".

Supposed I could get a ticket, but, given that I almost never tow in my home state, it's very unlikely a cop in another state would realize that I need a special license for a 30K GVWR rig in SC. I'll take my chances, at least until COVID dies down, and then I'll go in and take the test. Not with my RV though, you have to back up to a loading dock to pass the test and get within 2' (I think). Yeah, I'm NOT doing that with my RV, I'll bring my dump trailer in for the test, thank you very much. As you can imagine, the test isn't geared towards towing a 5er, it's really for people who want to drive a semi not for hire (has a whole air brake section too).

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful which trailer you bring in for the test. Here in Calif, you are required to test with the trailer you're applying the license for. It's got to have the correct GVWR.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Same thing in SC, I need to get a non-commercial CDL to be legal towing with my 450 and 351M. I haven't done it yet, primarily because once I bought the truck, COVID hit, and I'm not getting in the car with anyone I don't know to get a stupid "chit" on my license. I did call my local DMV and ask them about it, they had to look it up and the woman talking to me said basically "Well, I learned something new, AFAIK, we've never administered that test here, but we are able to do it, come on in".

Supposed I could get a ticket, but, given that I almost never tow in my home state, it's very unlikely a cop in another state would realize that I need a special license for a 30K GVWR rig in SC. I'll take my chances, at least until COVID dies down, and then I'll go in and take the test. Not with my RV though, you have to back up to a loading dock to pass the test and get within 2' (I think). Yeah, I'm NOT doing that with my RV, I'll bring my dump trailer in for the test, thank you very much. As you can imagine, the test isn't geared towards towing a 5er, it's really for people who want to drive a semi not for hire (has a whole air brake section too).
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Be careful which trailer you bring in for the test. Here in Calif, you are required to test with the trailer you're applying the license for. It's got to have the correct GVWR.
    Yeah, same thing here. Fortunately, I have a dump trailer that takes me over 26K, that's what I'd take to test in. 16' long instead of 40', great sight lines, and, if I hit the loading dock? Well, just another day for the dump trailer instead of 1000's in repairs on my Momentum.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you tatetoter. I read read the fine print and you are correct. Takes a load off my mind.