User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couple more pics, inside facing & rear. As you can see, it matches up with a cross member.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7703.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	29852

Name:	IMG_7723.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	29853

Name:	IMG_7729.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	29854
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John - it sure does.

What does that cross member support or what is it for ? Does the other end of it on the other I beam look as it should or is it also showing possible cracks or stress ? Where exactly is this located ? Have you noticed any other abnormalities inside or outside the camper in this area or other areas ?

As Marcy shared, calling GDRV Customer Service (and possibly LCI if needed since they produce the frames for GDRV) would be a good thing to do to share the pictures, solicit their feedback and establish a report of this.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I suspected.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    couple more pics, inside facing & rear. As you can see, it matches up with a cross member.

Name:	IMG_7703.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	29852

Name:	IMG_7723.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	29853

Name:	IMG_7729.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	29854
    Your going to need a good frame shop for this fix - not a back yard welder. Something is amiss. Inside welds look good assuming powder coating is not hiding anything. Can you provide pictures on the other side and where this cross member is in relation to the spring hangers. The crack was created by the frame web flexing against the ridge cross member point. The web should not be flexing that much. I suspect the frame is not boxed at the spring hanger assembly. It probably need to be to stiffen this area up. If they box the frame it should be a stitch weld along the flange. Prevents heat damage to the flange.

Please keep us updated. Remember the other side will need to be reinforced too in the same manner to keep stresses equal. Lippert definitely should be contacted with pictures.

Stay Safe and happy travels
    Last edited by powerscol; 09-29-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still have to travel with this, I would strongly suggest and 1/8" drill and stop-drill the ends of the cracks.
    That will buy you time to keep moving until a repair can be situated and not allow the cracks to continue to grow.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called Lippert, complied with their photo request, promised to have a tech call me asap.
    I'll bring up your stop-drill idea to them.
    Fortunately at home.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, forum comes through again.

John
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm betting that you regularly turntable your unit. Perhaps because of where you regularly park for storage? Such maneuvers will cause the web breakout across the cross-member where so-so welding lacking good heat control has changed the phase of the steel making it a bit more brittle. It can be properly prepared by a certified structural welder and a little engineering guidance (or plain over-doing it experience). Drilling to counter the stress risers is the standard first step. I personally would not weld the crack, which would the typical go-to of most. The metal has already changed phase from the initially poor welding and has been fatigued. So I would drill, corrosion protect, and then reinforce the web.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geotext - You could be right, we live in a cul-de-sac and usually bring the trailer home from the storage yard to load up for a trip.
    For for the first year or so, I would pull all the way to the end, turn about 50-60 degrees, and back into the driveway.
    After noticing what it did to my tires, (never thought about the frame), I began backing all the way down the street and into the driveway. Done it that way every time for the last 5-6 years.
    A certified welder, recommended by an independent RV repair facility, took a look at it today.
    Says he sees these kinds of cracks all the time, easy fix, not very expensive.
    I'm going to see what Lippert has to say before I do anything else.

Thanks for your input,

John
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No crack in the frame is ever good. From the looks of this one, I suspect it was a defect going back to the original forming of the metal frame. Select your welder well. A bad weld could cause more damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the rear spring shackle break and thankfully the spring moved up and both broken pieces kept it somewhat aligned although it pushed the rear tire forward resulting in an RV crabbing down the road tearing up tires as they were not running true to the direction of travel. Long story short, blew one tire, tore up the skirt and underside of our 303RLS. Trailer repair guy said he has seen this more than a few times. Settling up with insurance but it's @$3000 when all said and done. Spring shackles and underside are now a part of my walk around inspection. Will try and attach pictures. Be safe, be cautious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast