User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Schulz View Post
    I recently purchased a 2022 Solitude 2930RL fitted with a goose box and the TV is a 2019 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 with 34" tires and airbags. I did not raise the truck at all so the stock height, with the goose box set as high as it can be mounted, gives me about 5.5" to 6" trailer to bed rails but is nose high. I need to raise the trailer 2.5" at the axles to level it out for towing. I have called GD to see if they have a recommendation and they want to get on a video call to take a look. The existing hangers have already been reinforced at the factory so I really don't want to modify those. I would like to get 2.5" lifting blocks and new u-bolts to bring this back into level and have been trying to find what others are doing to remedy this situation but have found very little on the subject. My fifth wheel overall height is 13'-2" hooked up to the truck at the highest point and that should not change even with the lifting blocks on the axles. There is a company on that I found that makes specific lifting blocks for trailers as they are slimmer than the normal truck lifting blocks. GD first told me the dealer should have set this up during delivery but that did not happen and getting back into our local dealer take months and they are not fast with the repairs. Any thoughts or advise?

Attachment 42863Attachment 42863
    Your truck is indeed raised by the tires, 34" tires on the truck is why it is a problem now. Stock size is 31.6" So you raised the truck 2.4". Simplest and best solution for many reasons is to put stock sized tires on it.
    I am sure this is not what you want to hear. But it is the truth. Oversized tires are for show, and sometimes offroad performance.But it makes for poor tow vehicle performance. Wrong tool for the job.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Schulz View Post
    I recently purchased a 2022 Solitude 2930RL fitted with a goose box and the TV is a 2019 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 with 34" tires and airbags. I did not raise the truck at all so the stock height, with the goose box set as high as it can be mounted, gives me about 5.5" to 6" trailer to bed rails but is nose high. I need to raise the trailer 2.5" at the axles to level it out for towing. I have called GD to see if they have a recommendation and they want to get on a video call to take a look. The existing hangers have already been reinforced at the factory so I really don't want to modify those. I would like to get 2.5" lifting blocks and new u-bolts to bring this back into level and have been trying to find what others are doing to remedy this situation but have found very little on the subject. My fifth wheel overall height is 13'-2" hooked up to the truck at the highest point and that should not change even with the lifting blocks on the axles. There is a company on that I found that makes specific lifting blocks for trailers as they are slimmer than the normal truck lifting blocks. GD first told me the dealer should have set this up during delivery but that did not happen and getting back into our local dealer take months and they are not fast with the repairs. Any thoughts or advise?

Attachment 42863Attachment 42863
    Ah, there's your issue... Your truck is, if fact, raised... It's your aftermarket wheel and tire combination. Return to stock for towing or have a proper subframe fabricated to raise the trailer suspension and not blocks. Blocks are a bad idea for trailer axles hung from the narrowest spring packs, which your 5er has and unfortunately no one ever bothers to thing about the implications of the lateral forces going down the road through curves and turns. Having a tube steel subframe fabricated will not only allow for superior spring hangers, but allow you to tie the frame rails together for strength and the exact height needed can be accommodated. Just remember, your jacks will need to be lowered or more blocking under them needed.

A good trailer frame shop can have it fitted, fabricated and installed in two days given time for primer and paint to dry and pull the underbelly out of the way for welding.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    @Overtaxed that's so strange that you can only get 5" of rail clearance with your 450. On my 2019 F350 dually I have 6" easily with the B&W set on the highest setting, 18.5 inches I think it is. On the '20 F450 I had the exact same clearance, same hitch same trailer different truck. What made a nice improvement in clearance was switching to the MorRyde pin box. That moved me up to over 7 inches of clearance and the trailer tows level. What hitch and pin box are you using? Attachment 29900 You can see the rail clearance in this pic.
    When we were at MorRyde getting the IS suspension put on, they talked me into getting the MorRyde pin box. I'm so glad we did that upgrade. With all that MorRyde did; our clearance is better and we are within 1/4" of being perfectly level (front high).

All done and waiting for us.

Recently installed for free and finishing up the Independent Suspension

NO suspension (all the old removed)

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Your truck is indeed raised by the tires, 34" tires on the truck is why it is a problem now. Stock size is 31.6" So you raised the truck 2.4". Simplest and best solution for many reasons is to put stock sized tires on it.
    I am sure this is not what you want to hear. But it is the truth. Oversized tires are for show, and sometimes offroad performance.But it makes for poor tow vehicle performance. Wrong tool for the job.
    Would that not raise the truck 1.2" (the difference in radius - not diameter)?

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 09-03-2022 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Removed "1/2"
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem was my Silverado was high in the rear causing a nose high trailer. Instead of raising the 5th wheel to get level, I lowered the back of the truck using adjustable shackles. This leveled the trailer and gave me about 5" of clearance with the side rails. Using this with the Reese Sidewinder hitch, I can turn 90 degrees without bed or cab contact.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowering-Shac...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the MorRyde pin box what is the advantage ? Has anyone ever installed one if you are using a Pullright super glide hitch?
    2019 GD Reflection 320MKS
    2020 Ford F-450 crew cab Lariat plus DRW

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456