User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Black tank smell outside on Momentum 351M

New to me '19 Momentum 351M. Barely used (and it shows). Brought it home and flushed out the winterization as well as filled and flushed grey and black water tanks. All tanks flushed clear as seen through the observation port on my sewer hose. Flushed all tanks well. No smell in any toilet Shen opened, No smell from grey water pipes. Still when standing at the cap of the 5th wheel on the door side, there is an odor that smells like black water. Unable to determine the origin. The battery vent is very close to where the smell is coming from, but it is not the batteries (can not smell anything coming from their vent). Is there a black tank vent somewhere close to that location? Additionally, LP tanks are all off.
    Thanks for your input.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have a similar issue and was wondering if you found a way to address it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    Hi, I have a similar issue and was wondering if you found a way to address it.
    Yes, sadly it turned out to be bad wet cell batteries that were emitting strong sulfur smell. I had two batteries that were essentially "cooked" because of a bad convertor. I replaced the batteries with a set of 170ah LifPo batteries and a new WFCO 8955 LIS convertor which is switchable between wet cell or LiFpo batteries. So glad the wet cells are history. If you ask me (I'm an electronics engineer by trade), these trailer demand much more power than a couple of wet cell batteries can provide. But they sell them this way to keep costs down. Here's the link to the convertor: https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8935lis/ Here's the battery bank I bought and it's working quite well: https://bigbattery.com/products/12v-...70ah-2-176kwh/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    Yes, sadly it turned out to be bad wet cell batteries that were emitting strong sulfur smell. I had two batteries that were essentially "cooked" because of a bad convertor. I replaced the batteries with a set of 170ah LifPo batteries and a new WFCO 8955 LIS convertor which is switchable between wet cell or LiFpo batteries. So glad the wet cells are history. If you ask me (I'm an electronics engineer by trade), these trailer demand much more power than a couple of wet cell batteries can provide. But they sell them this way to keep costs down. Here's the link to the convertor: https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8935lis/ Here's the battery bank I bought and it's working quite well: https://bigbattery.com/products/12v-...70ah-2-176kwh/
    They also sell them that way as there are many who use them differently.
    A camper who stays in parks all the time with electricity doesn’t need what a boondocker needs.
    I agree that batteries should be at least 100 usable ah. ( 1 lithium, 2 group 31, 2 -6 volt) but I don’t want the manufacturer to provide.

I have extensive solar and batteries on our unit,
    but wouldn’t want lithium of any variety. If the builder decided that was standard to put 2 lithium batteries in the trailer the price per unit would go up $2000 for two 100 watt lithium’s. Plus I would want to decide which batteries to buy. Lifeline are far better than Costco. Do you think they would put Lifelines in? I doubt it

It’s up to the dealer to supply the battery. It’s up to the user to figure out what how they will use the trailer.
    I’m fine with the system now.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    We had two incidents last summer of trailers in our campground having batteries fried and stinking. It’s one of the first things I check for now if I smell it around any trailer. Most people don’t care for their batteries, and also never have experienced this. It took me a day or so when it happened to me neighbor. I thought the smell had to do with her black tank at first.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed