User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Residential Refrig. water in bottom

I thought I saw a video about a component failure in a residential refrig. that caused water to collect in the bottom of a residential refrig. You have to pull off the back panel and replace a component, but I don't recall the details. Can someone link that video please? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chances are you have a Samsung frig. Chances are the drain for the self-defrost system has frozen up.

There are write-ups on the site here or it might be quicker to search Youtube for your model refrigerator to see more details. That's where I went to fix mine when water started accumulating in the bottom.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bswartz View Post
    I thought I saw a video about a component failure in a residential refrig. that caused water to collect in the bottom of a residential refrig. You have to pull off the back panel and replace a component, but I don't recall the details. Can someone link that video please? Thanks.
    What a coincidence! I just did this modification on my house Samsung fridge for both the refrigerator and freezer yesterday. As traveldawg mentioned, there are several videos on how to fix it and you will have to research it based off of the brand and model of refrigerator you have. The issue for Samsung is, on each drain there is supposed to be a metal clip that attaches to the defrost line and extends into the drain hole. It theory, as the fridge goes through the automatic defrost cycle to deice the condenser coils, it is supposed to warm up the metal clip to keep the water from freezing up as it goes into the drain hole. Unfortunately Samsung made the part that goes into the drain hole too small so water still freezes up (I ended up removing mine and replaced with an after market one.) Once its froze, during the next defrost cycle the water builds up and has no where to go but to the bottom. In my case it accumulated underneath the freezer tray and froze making it hard to open and close the freezer door. As for the fridge section pretty much the same issue but it was leaking into the crisper drawers, iced up the condenser coils and started to ice up the fan.
    To fix it, there is an inside cover for both the fridge and freezer that protects the condenser coils. Let the fridge defrost for awhile before removing or you could damage something pulling it off. As you remove those covers, There are several wire harnesses you need to disconnect before fully pulling them out, de-ice the coils (yes I used a hair dryer) and let it completely dry out. I let it sit overnight to make sure there was no more moisture on the fins and coils. If you look at the bottom of the coils you will see a drain in the middle section. You will also need to flush that out with hot water until it unthaws and starts to drain. Both fridge and freezer drains were plugged with ice.
    I ended up buying an after market fix off of Amazon. Only $8.00 for four even though I only needed two (they offered next day delivery.) Some people just wrap one end of a light gage copper wire around the defrost coil and stick the other end, around three inches, into the drain hole. Same concept as the after market part I bought but it seems to work for them.
    Sounds like a pain in the rear but it was not that bad. The good news is you don't have to pull the fridge out for this fix.
    Anyways, I know this was a little wordy but I hope it helps with your issue. Good luck!

Tim
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost forgot, the part I got off of Amazon is called "Primeswift DA61-06796A Refrigerator Drain Tube Clip Evaporator."
    Tim & Lori
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By this:
    'What a coincidence! I just did this modification on my house Samsung fridge for both the refrigerator and freezer yesterday.
    "
    are you saying there are two places to add the fix(s). I did the wrap wire thing last year and now have ice in the bottom of the unit, not the drip pan but under the freezer bins. I'm about to order the part or part(s).
    2022 F350 SRW LB
    2019 GK 310-R
    2018 30XP Grayhawk
    2015 Forrester toad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryNK View Post
    By this:
    'What a coincidence! I just did this modification on my house Samsung fridge for both the refrigerator and freezer yesterday.
    "
    are you saying there are two places to add the fix(s). I did the wrap wire thing last year and now have ice in the bottom of the unit, not the drip pan but under the freezer bins. I'm about to order the part or part(s).
    That is exactly what I had for my freezer. Yes, one for the refrigerator and one for the freezer. I have the french door one, two doors on top, one slider in the middle and one slider for the freezer. You will have to take all of the lower drawers out make getting to the back of the inside much easier. Once you get the backs open, for both the refrigerator and freezer, you should be able to see each drain at the bottom of each section. This is what I used.
    https://www.amazon.com/Durable-DA61-...80&sr=8-5&th=1
    Tim & Lori
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the wire wrap then had ice building in the bottom of my unit.

very good youtube on this pesky issue this covers the freezer but the same configuration is on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTvaXKfFLC8
    2022 F350 SRW LB
    2019 GK 310-R
    2018 30XP Grayhawk
    2015 Forrester toad