User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Estimating Max Pin Weights on Momentums

GD provides the pinweight of the 'dry' trailers (assume no options added), but I'm trying to figure out what the 'max' pin weight of a trailer would be.

In general, can you use the percentage of the given pinweight of the dry trailer to estimate maximum pinweight? In other words, if the dry pinweight is 22% of the 'UVW', can you use 22% of GVWR as an estimate for the max pinweight? Is there any more accurate way to determine this in advance of having the trailer?

I ask because it seems to be common knowledge that with the generator and some batteries, your 'delivered' pinweight would be heavier than the pinweight in the specs, but wouldn't other options increase your GVW, but not necessarily the pinweight (Happi-Jack bed, 3-season doors, patio rails, 3rd AC in the rear, etc...)? Then, as you increase your loaded weight with cargo (e.g. - add water to the tanks, which are roughly between the axles, load the fridge, etc...), pinweight may increase slowly to a point. But, at some point, you're going to start putting weight in the garage and behind the axles (fill fuel tanks?), which should theoretically start lowering the pin weight because of the leverage over the axles (right?). So, as you continue to load and approach the trailer's GVWR, would you ever expect the percentage of weight on the pin to be more than the percentage of UVW you started with (excluding any scenario where you might install a king water bed in the front bedroom)?

For those that have actually calculated or got the pinweight with a scale, what are you seeing your pinweight at as a percentage of the loaded trailer weight, and what are you loading in the garage?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    Is there any more accurate way to determine this in advance of having the trailer?
    I'm not aware of any way to do this. It's easy to do this type of calculation with airplanes but RV manufacturers don't provide the information you need to estimate loaded pin weight in advance.

You are correct in that loading things to the far rear of the RV will increase GVW but reduce pin weight. When I was ordering my Solitude 373FB-R, I tried to figure out a way to load all the heavy items as far to the rear as possible while traveling so I could tow it with my SRW truck. In the end, I knew what I needed to do so I bought a DRW truck. A DRW truck eliminates all the guess work and worry about pin weights. You just load the RV and go.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you that the options you add in the rear, won’t make as big of a pin weight difference as you would think. For example, I haul 2 touring motorcycles in the rear of my 2 axle momentum 385...weight of motorcycles is approximately 1,700 lbs. pin weight difference is 300lbs per cat scale.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in the process of ordering my 2020 381M, I ask GD what was included in the listed UVW and pin weights.
    I was told the weights are for a standard build (how a dealer would normally order a stock unit).
    On a Momentum the standard build options are...
    - Generator
    - 3rd AC
    - Happy Jac bunk system
    - Gen II 3 season door
    - Rear patio deck system w/awning (does not include the steps)
    - Outdoor entertainment system
    - Momentum chairs
    2020 381M with Goosebox
    2006 F-450 16k GVWR

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    I can tell you that the options you add in the rear, won’t make as big of a pin weight difference as you would think. For example, I haul 2 touring motorcycles in the rear of my 2 axle momentum 385...weight of motorcycles is approximately 1,700 lbs. pin weight difference is 300lbs per cat scale.

Big Mike
    Out of curiosity, since you've been to the CAT scale, what's your loaded pin weight?

BTW - Greetings from the Meadowlands!

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    When I was in the process of ordering my 2020 381M, I ask GD what was included in the listed UVW and pin weights.
    I was told the weights are for a standard build (how a dealer would normally order a stock unit).
    On a Momentum the standard build options are...
    - Generator
    - 3rd AC
    - Happy Jac bunk system
    - Gen II 3 season door
    - Rear patio deck system w/awning (does not include the steps)
    - Outdoor entertainment system
    - Momentum chairs
    Lol... Every Momentum I've looked at so far has not had the 3rd AC, some had the 3-season door, and none had the Outdoor Entertainment System or chairs, so so much for 'standard options'....

-

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe what dealers order varies by region?
    The Momentums I looked at both in person (at General RV) and online within a couple hundred miles were virtually the same builds (a few had the upgraded sound system and/or king bed)
    2020 381M with Goosebox
    2006 F-450 16k GVWR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    Out of curiosity, since you've been to the CAT scale, what's your loaded pin weight?

BTW - Greetings from the Meadowlands!
    -

My pin weight runs around 4,200lbs. It will be a little lighter with a tri-axle.
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My triple axle 2015 385TH has a pin weight of 3200lbs - 3800lbs depending on what's in the garage.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, I never did weigh my rig ready to camp without something in the garage. Anyway, when we first got the unit home, we loaded it up ready to camp and weighed it. I'll add that since this was our inaugural trip, and we wanted to check everything out, we set it up as if we were boondocking. That meant full water and fuel + all our stuff for 4 days. At the time, we had 2 one-up quads loaded as well. Our GVW cane in just over 19,500 lbs, and a pin weight of about 3,200 lbs. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it came out to right at 17%. This seemed low to me, but it tows remarkably well with no issues. The 2 quads weighed about 750 lbs each for a total of 1,500 lbs. We have since replaced the 2 quads with a 2-up that weighs about 875 lbs so in theory my pin weight increased a few lbs, but better more than less... We also bought a Can Am Spyder we carry around which weighs about 1,100 lbs. Again, my pin weight will vary, but still more (in theory) than it was with the quads.

Our 381 has all the options available at the time including the genny, 3 season door, patio, happy jack, 3rd A/C, and dual pane windows. It does have FBP and the queen bed, but I doubt they add or reduce weight significantly enough to worry about. We do travel relatively light in that although we have a fully equipped kitchen, BBQ, and all sorts of patio stuff, we don't carry anything we don't anticipate using.

I guess the bottom line here is my pin weight as a percentage is +/- 17%.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most accurate way to get the pin weight and for that matter, the weight of the trailer as well is at a scale, assuming you have the trailer in your possession. Other wise if it were me at would take the GVWR of the trailer as reported by GD and multiply by 25%, a worse case scenario since pin weights run between 20 & 25%.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast