User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3500# axles and GWVR

I'm relatively new to RVing and have been loving tweaking our 2400BH and getting out in the woods. Replaced the tires with GEs, SeeLevel, solar, lithium. Good stuff. However, once item of concern I keep seeing pop up is the suspension, springs and axles. Nothing looks off right now, but I'm very curious about a basic math problem:

The 2400BH's GVWR is a respectable 7495 lbs. However, the Imagine comes with 3500# Dexter axles. With a 10-12% tongue weight (750-900 lbs, measured at 810 lbs typical load), that means 6800-6600 on the axles. That seems REALLY close to the 7000 lb capacity. One bad bump could easily push it over 7k. Am I missing something?

Is this something I should be worried about and replace the axles? Or just shore up the suspension a bit with sumo springs and such? As I understand it, new wheels are also required with new axles so it's not a minor investment. Any thoughts?
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 2 versions of 3500# axles, one with a 2-3/8" tube and a heavier one with a 3" tube. If you use the 3" tube axle the brake system can be transferred to the new axles.
    The next size is 4400# axles. These use a 6-bolt wheel so the brake drums and wheels would need replaced.
    Are the springs flat? IF so, that's a warranty issue between Dexter and GD.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well...12% is just barely getting to stability. Lighter, and one is prone to sway. That's bad to extremely bad. Been there, done that. So using the 12%, that gives 900 tongue weight. 7495-900=6595, or 3300 on each axle. So you still have 6% additional margin. And really, the tongue % should be a bit higher, which helps the math.
    There are standards, and the NHTSA does regulate this, since it is a vehicle on the road. I'm no engineer, but I trust this is designed to meet most road conditions, so it would have to be a really, really bad bump to take it out.
    Additionally, you are going to have to try really hard to load in 1500 lbs worth of stuff (unless you plan to run with all liquid tanks full, all the time) to get to GVWR. And every less pound of stuff is less on the axles.
    I think there are lots of other things to fret about......
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense. We usually run with a full tank of fresh water, or distributed through the tanks on the way home, but even fully loaded it only measures at 6750 lbs on the scales. So there’s quite a bit of wiggle room.

I think I’ll file it under “things that are interesting but not to worry about”
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azink007 View Post
    I'm relatively new to RVing and have been loving tweaking our 2400BH and getting out in the woods. Replaced the tires with GEs, SeeLevel, solar, lithium. Good stuff. However, once item of concern I keep seeing pop up is the suspension, springs and axles. Nothing looks off right now, but I'm very curious about a basic math problem:

The 2400BH's GVWR is a respectable 7495 lbs. However, the Imagine comes with 3500# Dexter axles. With a 10-12% tongue weight (750-900 lbs, measured at 810 lbs typical load), that means 6800-6600 on the axles. That seems REALLY close to the 7000 lb capacity. One bad bump could easily push it over 7k. Am I missing something?

Is this something I should be worried about and replace the axles? Or just shore up the suspension a bit with sumo springs and such? As I understand it, new wheels are also required with new axles so it's not a minor investment. Any thoughts?
    In your bag full of manuals on your tt from GD you will find a build sheet that has your serial number and all the serial numbers of the items in your trailer. The sheet will also have the dry weight of your trailer as it came out of the factory. It will also tell you the max load weight that is the 74xxlbs you listed not the weight of your trailer empty.

Ken
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars