User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandtara View Post
    I should have done some more googling before posting. I found this thread with you having almost the same conversation with someone else in 2017! https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ehicle-upgrade In the end, that guy seems to have bought a Tundra.
    Wow - that was a long time ago! At least, at my age, I'm still consistent.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone!

With pretty much everything in our lives 'remote' these days, my wife are looking to purchase our first RV and travel full-time with our daughters for a while. We're considering two options from Grand Design, the 2800BH or the 261BH. We're also going to need to trade my wife's car for a tow vehicle, either a Chevy Tahoe or a Ford Expedition.

I have done some math on the combinations and I'd like some advice. We'd be driving a good bit, with the initial route up to 10,000 miles including some mountainous terrain. The Tahoe can fit the trailer inside its ratings with basically no margin at all on GCVW, but 12% on the tow rating. The Expedition has 10% margin on the GCVW, which makes me feel a lot better. The two knocks against the Expedition are that it's 6" longer, which is tight in our garage, and that the heavy tow package is more rare on the Ford near us compared to the Tahoe and that seems to drive a $5k-$10k price premium.

How reasonable are the manufacturers ratings on the tow vehicle? Will driving a 'fully loaded' TV feel ok, or is it going to struggle when the road gets hilly? Am I missing anything else here?

Here's the spreadsheet I used for the ratings. Any double-check of my assumptions would be also super helpful.
    Attachment 29851

Thanks!
    We were in a similar situation, looking for a fifth wheel and wondering what we could pull with a half ton, after 2 days of shopping I traded in my 9 month old truck for a new 3500 with a Diesel engine. We also ended up with a larger 5er than originally planned.

My advice is you will end up with a truck, so start there. I think of myself and how comfortable and confident I am with the truck/trailer combo We have. I see the white knuckles as I pass the SUV’s and half tons that are pushing weight limits in the wind and hills. I am so grateful in the wind and hills, and you will realize that there is a lot more wind and hills than you originally anticipated.

As others have mentioned you put a lot more “stuff” in the trailer than you think, a 40 pack of 500ml water weighs 44 lbs, 24 cans of beer, add another 20lbs.

Good Luck in your decision, you are doing the right thing questioning the loads.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.lanes View Post
    24 cans of beer, add another 20lbs.
    Is that true for Lite Beer?
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2800BH and have had it weighed at CAT Scales a number of times and those numbers that you have are no where near reality. The hitch weight it’s over 1000lbs with a weight distribution hitch engaged. The tongue weight is 14.5% of the trailer weight on my trailer normally loaded. This is a heavier trailer than what they try to make it seem. I would say to look at a 3/4 Ton truck IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload , a Tahoe will not do this safely. I used a Tahoe with a 2500RL and only towed once with it. Went to a F350 after that, not even diesel and have never looked back.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing you did. Then I ordered the trailer and the truck and the printed specs online were incorrect. Pin weight was wrong and payload on truck was wrong. About a 400lb swing with both. I’d go to a RV lot and look at a tag on RV and do the same thing with the truck. The truck varied more and I think it was because of the package we ordered. And then you load it up amd it all changes again. I planned the load close enough but I’m about 150 lbs over on my payload. Drives fine and sets up level. So I’ve done nothing about that.
    Todd Dean
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Silverado 2500 Gas, std Bed, 2 WD
    BW Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone!

With pretty much everything in our lives 'remote' these days, my wife are looking to purchase our first RV and travel full-time with our daughters for a while. We're considering two options from Grand Design, the 2800BH or the 261BH. We're also going to need to trade my wife's car for a tow vehicle, either a Chevy Tahoe or a Ford Expedition.

I have done some math on the combinations and I'd like some advice. We'd be driving a good bit, with the initial route up to 10,000 miles including some mountainous terrain. The Tahoe can fit the trailer inside its ratings with basically no margin at all on GCVW, but 12% on the tow rating. The Expedition has 10% margin on the GCVW, which makes me feel a lot better. The two knocks against the Expedition are that it's 6" longer, which is tight in our garage, and that the heavy tow package is more rare on the Ford near us compared to the Tahoe and that seems to drive a $5k-$10k price premium.

How reasonable are the manufacturers ratings on the tow vehicle? Will driving a 'fully loaded' TV feel ok, or is it going to struggle when the road gets hilly? Am I missing anything else here?

Here's the spreadsheet I used for the ratings. Any double-check of my assumptions would be also super helpful.
    Attachment 29851

Thanks!
    Some on here would have you believe you need a ton dually to pull a pop-up! Not to many years ago people pulled 30' trailers with cars, and the trailers sometimes weighed more than they do today. Today with the massive diesels we have gotten used to, everyone thinks that if you can't go up a mile long steep hill at 80 MPH then you don't have enough truck!

With that being said, I don't worry about what I can pull as much as what I can control and stop! The Tahoe is pushing it on towing ability if you come anywhere close to packing the trailer. In fact, a good recommendation is to not pull past 80 percent of your rated tow capacity. Reason being, it is just easier on your tow vehicle not to be maxed out all the time and gives you a margin of safety when things are not ideal! The Expedition would do the trick, but there again, you could be close to your max if packing heavy and not much margin. A suburban would be the best bet, but you would not be able to get it in your garage! In short, they would work, but not ideal!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the commentary! We decided to go with the 2400BH for reasons of both weight and cost. It made more sense to get a smaller trailer instead of a larger TV since the TV will be my DD long-term. Fully loaded with 1700# of cargo in the trailer (maxing the GVWR) and 750# cargo + fluids in the Tahoe, we're still >10% away from the Tahoe's tow capacity. The limit actually ends up being the tongue weight. We also considered the 23BHE, but having the kitchen on the slide made me nervous from a reliability perspective and we wanted the additional storage on the 2400BH.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyq View Post
    Payload , a Tahoe will not do this safely. I used a Tahoe with a 2500RL and only towed once with it. Went to a F350 after that, not even diesel and have never looked back.
    X2. Get the 350/3500 and be done with it. You will be glad you did in the end. Trust me (3 trucks later).

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the commentary! We decided to go with the 2400BH for reasons of both weight and cost. It made more sense to get a smaller trailer instead of a larger TV since the TV will be my DD long-term. Fully loaded with 1700# of cargo in the trailer (maxing the GVWR) and 750# cargo + fluids in the Tahoe, we're still >10% away from the Tahoe's tow capacity. The limit actually ends up being the tongue weight. We also considered the 23BHE, but having the kitchen on the slide made me nervous from a reliability perspective and we wanted the additional storage on the 2400BH.
    Looks like you've already made a final decision. If so, good for you. Just a parting comment. A tow vehicle that's "just enough" rarely is. You will find yourself in that group of RVers that is in the white knuckle group, as opposed to the relaxed, safely operating group, under control group. I could not tell from your signature where your domicile is, nor where you plan to travel, but I can assure you that mountain driving will put some serious strains on both your equipment and your skills. Both will be put to the test. I wish you all the best in this new stage of life! Be safe and have fun.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast