Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Upgrade

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumper Upgrade

Anyone upgraded the bumper on their Imagine? Seems like there are some great 5” and 6” aluminum options that bolt to the frame. I want to put a hitch to carry two bikes and also like the slightly bigger size.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frame mounted hitch is the way to go. Forget the bumper. I cut mine off.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only mount things on an RV bumper that you consider disposable.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Only mount things on an RV bumper that you consider disposable.

Rob
    Rob - now your getting carried away (or dropped from your bumper) ! lol

I have seen your and many others posts for years on the concerns for using the RV bumper for bikes and other things and it is well founded as too many folks do overload and have overloaded them with at times......with not good results shall we say.

Until our 303, we used these rears bumpers on our 3 prior mini-homes and Cougar TT for hauling our 2 steel and then later 2 aluminum bikes with no issues. One thing I did after seeing too many bouncing bikes and others things attached to bumpers was to securely strap our bikes to the rack with multiple bungee cords so there was no movement of the bikes at any point on the rack, The rack was also tightly secured at all points.

I think for folks who understand and abide within the bumper (and bike rack) loading capacities and understand the dynamic events with bouncing rear racks AND tightly secure the bikes/racks can do this effectively and safely. However, this said, I too am somewhat concerned that there are folks who do not/will not.....or simply do not care.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement bumper option

Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Frame mounted hitch is the way to go. Forget the bumper. I cut mine off.
    Thank you all for the good advice.

Here is the one that I was thinking about.

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/all-pro...ent-bumper-kit

It looks much stronger and mounts directly to the frame.

Thoughts on this option?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO I think you should do both. My wife and I just purchased a Solitude 372WB that came equipped with frame mounted hitch and no bumper. I made a color matched 3x4" .250 wall bumper for my last RV, looked good and gave my RV a finished look while protecting the back. I will now be making one for this 5th wheel. I don't understand why GD does not automatically install a bumper. My concern is that "little tap" from the car/truck behind me will cause thousands in damage to my 5th wheels unreinforced derrière.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zinman - did you get your bumper made? I worry about someone hitting my Reflection from the rear also. $$$$
    Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find many modern built trailers do not have a rear bumper. This is because they are now taller in the rear than ever before. Bumper height is defined under the Federal vehicle safety standards. If they were to put the bumper in compliance height, it would drag regularly with the long tail overhang. However, trailers are not required to have a bumper under the safety standards. If you install one as a manufacturer, it must confirm. So, that it why they're going missing more commonly.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumper

geotex1, that is good information regarding manufacturer compliance, if I read your post correctly it does not apply to the DIY guy??
    Dawgfever, I made my bumper from 3X4" .250 wall rectangular tube steel, radius the ends and welded closed. Fabricated 2" square tube attachment to the trailer hitch on that RV. Got the steel cheap at my local steel shop bone yard as a left over. As I indicated in prior thread, I had made for my 2019 Heartland Big Country that got traded for my Solitude 372WB in September. I actually cut it off before trade I liked it so much. It now sits mocked up on my GD as I figure out how best manner to attach to this RV (likely fabricate bracket and "bolt to hitch"). I weld and auto paint for personal purposes and cost me about $60 to make. It is color matched to the rv. I added two 7/8th tall X 12" long X 3/8th thick red reflectors to each side below the brake lights that are staggered with a 1" offset just because it looked better that way. Also added were two pieces 1" wide by 14" long gator non slip tape below the rear ladder steps to avoid scuffs and slips on the top painted surface. Over all it looks sharp however I do plan on replacing the red reflectors with same sized but recessed DOT approved LED running, brake, turn tail lights for better night time illumination. The bumper sits slightly above the hitch so I can still pull a small trailer if desired.
    Last edited by zinman; 10-20-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    geotex1, that is good information regarding manufacturer compliance, if I read your post correctly it does not apply to the DIY guy??
    Dawgfever, I made my bumper from 3X4" .250 wall rectangular tube steel, radius the ends and welded closed. Fabricated 2" square tube attachment to the trailer hitch on that RV. Got the steel cheap at my local steel shop bone yard as a left over. As I indicated in prior thread, I had made for my 2019 Heartland Big Country that got traded for my Solitude 372WB in September. I actually cut it off before trade I liked it so much. It now sits mocked up on my GD as I figure out how best manner to attach to this RV (likely fabricate bracket and "bolt to hitch"). I weld and auto paint for personal purposes and cost me about $60 to make. It is color matched to the rv. I added two 7/8th tall X 12" long X 3/8th thick red reflectors to each side below the brake lights that are staggered with a 1" offset just because it looked better that way. Also added were two pieces 1" wide by 14" long gator non slip tape below the rear ladder steps to avoid scuffs and slips on the top painted surface. Over all it looks sharp however I do plan on replacing the red reflectors with same sized but recessed DOT approved LED running, brake, turn tail lights for better night time illumination. The bumper sits slightly above the hitch so I can still pull a small trailer if desired.
    Owner is "generally" free to do what he or she wants unless you live in a State with safety inspection requirements. So, I cannot answer with certainty if there would be issue there or not. I can say with PA's trailer safety inspection it's not getting an eyeballing unless it is something looking really homemade and sketchy.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast