User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triple Pane Windows on a New Order, Has anyone ordered a 5th Wheel ... I ask because

it is so cold in our bedroom slide-out. We have pillows propped up on each side because of the draft coming from the windows or from the aluminum frame. It has been in the low 30's quite-a-few nights here.

I had planned on ordering our new 2015 Solitude 305RE with double pane windows, but was told it would ONLY increase the R-Value by about one. So, with that info, I didn't.

I have a friend who purchased a 2015 Cedar Creek with thermal pane windows and it sure was cozy in his 5th wheel. I noticed it cut down on the outside noise also. After spending about an hour with them inside their 5th wheel, I now wish I would have ordered our Solitude 305RE with thermal pane windows.

Has anyone ordered their new 5th wheel with double pane (Thermal pane) windows and how do you like it? Also wondering about the cost?

P.S. I tried to edit the heading but it's not allowed or I do not know how to do it.
    ~Al & Laurie
    Al & Laurie -- Brainerd, MN
    2010 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.4 Diesel
    2015 Grand Design -- Solitude 305RE #2506

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a couple RV's that had double glazed windows, I never noticed much difference. They all got foggy after 6 or 7 years
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No triple pane windows available on a Solitude or a Cedar Creek.

Not from the factory anyway...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how much double pane windows are, but probably well over $1K extra. And they're very heavy.

They'd certainly be nice to have. I'm not far enough north, or south, to where they'd be a great benefit to me.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had the double pane windows installed. I don't know if they make a big difference in thermal characteristics compared to single pane, but they really help keep noise down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, noise doesn't bother me. I take my hearing aids out, gets real quiet
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for replying to my post. As for Triple pane, I should have said Thermal pane. Thanks Huntr70 for pointing that out.

Are there any fixes or something to help keep it warmer while sleeping in the slide out part of the bed? It will be getting down to the high twenties this week in the Hill Country of Texas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ref the 2015 305RE,

My wife and I have the same fifth wheel, with single pane glass. We bought the unit from General RV, south of Akron, Ohio. When I inquired about the dual pane windows, the salesman talked me out of them. His philosophy was that if we were going to do a lot of towing, the increased stress on the windows may cause the seals to leak. It made sense to me, and we are putting the miles on, so we did not buy them. As far as the drafts, we have some, but not unreasonable. We have used a small electric heater to supplement, along with an electric blanket and it is warm enough. We have been in temps below freezing, probably 10-15 nights.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Presently in Kartchner Caverns State Park
    Benson, Arizona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    Ref the 2015 305RE,

. . . the salesman talked me out of them. His philosophy was that if we were going to do a lot of towing, the increased stress on the windows may cause the seals to leak. . . We have been in temps below freezing, probably 10-15 nights.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Right now we have two pillows propped up against each window which helps tremendously. By-the-way, we were actually thinking of going to Benson next year but your post of 10-15 at night is discouraging me. I actually thought that the Solitude would be warmer than the Fuzion Toyhauler. It was warmer in the bedroom, next to the windows than the Solitude 305RE that we took delivery of this past August.
    I'm glad you pointed out the possibility of the seal leaks. I had not thought about that. I'll talk to my Cedar Creek friend about that. He has had two 5th wheels with thermal pane windows. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments -- much appreciated. ~Al & Laurie

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no true thermal pane windows in RV's either....

They are just dual panes, with no argon, nitrogen, or any other sealed gasses.

Just 2 panes of glass to make a thermal break, and cut noise.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast