Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wet bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gvanderberg View Post
    He wasn't real specific except to say on the sides of the under bed storage. I did ask him if the vents needed to be in the upper portion toward the pin box and he told me no that they needed to be on the sides of the enclosed storage area. He also said that others who have installed the vents have not had further issues with condensation. We are going to have them installed in about the middle on both sides of the platform. We are also going to lay a product called Hypervent underneath the mattress as well. We found a good price on line at defender.com $9.59 a foot.
    Interesting as I thought the head part was the section that was over the unheated part of the cap. And the foot was over the heated part of the bay.
    I will look for the Hypervent product, we are so excited and can't wait to get our 27rl sometime the end of March!!!
    Had an Everest and took off for 18 months, sold it back and July and cabin fever has crept up on us can't wait to get back on the road!!
    Thanks Again!!
    ps. So how many feet did you order?? I was thinking around 10 to 12 feet
    Last edited by geb339; 02-23-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Gary and Lisa
    2016 Reflection 27rl
    05 Silverado 2500hd Duramax
    Bailey a Maltipoo. Mike a Bichonpoo[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/https://goo.gl/photos/TdfLaZHpXE4i1FYm6]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wasn't real specific except to say on the sides of the under bed storage. I did ask him if the vents needed to be in the upper portion toward the pin box and he told me no that they needed to be on the sides of the enclosed storage area. He also said that others who have installed the vents have not had further issues with condensation. We are going to have them installed in about the middle on both sides of the platform. We are also going to lay a product called Hypervent underneath the mattress as well. We found a good price on line at defender.com $9.59 a foot.
    How many feet I was thinking between 10 an 12
    Gary and Lisa
    2016 Reflection 27rl
    Bailey a Maltipoo. Mike a Bichonpoo[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/https://goo.gl/photos/TdfLaZHpXE4i1FYm6]

Gvanderberg
    I questioned him about that but he said to install the vents in the storage base. If you feel behind the head of the bed that area appears to be open at the top. We will make sure to not have the mattress pushed up against the headboard when we sleep to allow air flow.

We were thinking 10' of the Hypervent as well, mounted horizontally. I read another thread where someone had installed it that way on a queen bed and it worked for them.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I questioned him about that but he said to install the vents in the storage base. If you feel behind the head of the bed that area appears to be open at the top. We will make sure to not have the mattress pushed up against the headboard when we sleep to allow air flow.

We were thinking 10' of the Hypervent as well, mounted horizontally. I read another thread where someone had installed it that way on a queen bed and it worked for them.
    I think we are on the same page, Just not sure of placement of those vents I'm inclined towards the head of the bed, Maybe 4 vents 2 in front 2 in the rear, should be just a jig saw and cut it out. I think I can pick them up at Home Depot or Lowe's
    Gary and Lisa
    2016 Reflection 27rl

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the goal here is to warm up the underside of the forward end of the bed so that it does not condense moisture out of the warm air above the platform. This is a fairly common problem on boats in cold waters. The boat solution is to put a low power heater in the cold space. Goldenrod is a popular and well proven product for this.
    http://www.westmarine.com/buy/golden...12_360_002_501
    Another version of these is used to drive moisture out (prevent condensation) of guns in cabinets.
    There are 120V outlets on each side at the head of the bed, so this should be a fairly easy installation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The noodles sound like an easy fix. I will do this as a prevention. People on this site are so innovative!!
    Brenda and Bob

2016 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab CC Diesel Drw
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350m
    2002 Harley Davidson
    2012 Can Am Spyder Rtl

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that are going to put vents in; it would be a good idea to put one low and one higher. That was natural convection will help with the airflow.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this moisture condensation an issue on all designs or just specific ones? We just purchased and took possession of a 2017 Imagine 2800BH. Haven't been out yet in it, but am concerned if I should be watching for condensation under the bed, if not now then in the future. TIA.

Gvanderberg
    I don't think it is unit specific. I have seen posts regarding this issue on several different models. It seems to be more prevalent in humid climates. We live in the southeast. With the mattress sitting directly on the wood platform there is no air circulation. We had 4 vents installed in the bed base per Grand Design recommendations. For extra insurance we installed Hypervent under the mattress. When we were having the vents installed at the dealer they had another rig there that had the same problem and had extensive damage done to their mattress. We caught our problem early. I would definitely run my hand under the mattress and check for moisture periodically.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it is unit specific. I have seen posts regarding this issue on several different models. It seems to be more prevalent in humid climates. We live in the southeast. With the mattress sitting directly on the wood platform there is no air circulation. We had 4 vents installed in the bed base per Grand Design recommendations. For extra insurance we installed Hypervent under the mattress. When we were having the vents installed at the dealer they had another rig there that had the same problem and had extensive damage done to their mattress. We caught our problem early. I would definitely run my hand under the mattress and check for moisture periodically.
    Could you provide a picture of the vents and their location?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast