Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet bed

So I know this has been talked about before. Last night we spent the first night in our new 27RL a cold night out and when I checked the mattress this morning it was wet. The hinge under the bed was full of condensation the wood was wet and so was the mattress. I took all the necessary steps I kept a vent open while the heater was on the under belly storage was all shut but still there was the moisture.

This sounds like a design problem that GD needs to address and come up with a fix for all of us before it causes major damages mold or poses other health risks.

Has GD done anything yet?

PHIL

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil,

We have the same bedroom arrangement in our 303RLS and have never seen this problem.
    How cold was the outside temperature ? Were you running your furnace or an electric space heater ?
    The furnace heats the underbelly which would warm the structure under the bed.
    We use our furnace whenever temps get cool. Maybe this is why we haven't seen a condensation problem ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,

It was cold out that night and we were running the furnace the underbelly was all closed up and I had the bathroom vent open a little to help keep the humidity down. I have seen several posts so this sounds like a design problem that needs to be addressed by GD. It looks like the cold air is coming from under the front storage area that is not heated it was the very front of the bed that was wet near the hinge and along the hinge.

Phil

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I do recall the previous posts. Your analysis makes sense since the front compartment is completely sealed off from the heated underbelly. We may not have seen as cold temps as you have, and thus have not seen the problem, but will keep an eye out for this situation.
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a moisture problem and you need more ventilation. We used to have a Titanium and because of the unique front design, none of the area below the bed was heated. We never had a problem with a wet mattress in 12 years. We have Max Air covers on all our vents. The kitchen vent is always left wide open regardless of temperature. No issues.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcontatore View Post
    So I know this has been talked about before. Last night we spent the first night in our new 27RL a cold night out and when I checked the mattress this morning it was wet. The hinge under the bed was full of condensation the wood was wet and so was the mattress. I took all the necessary steps I kept a vent open while the heater was on the under belly storage was all shut but still there was the moisture.

This sounds like a design problem that GD needs to address and come up with a fix for all of us before it causes major damages mold or poses other health risks.

PHIL
    Hi Phil (@pcontatore),

Check to see if you are getting air flow out of the heat duct outlet in the front pass through. For camping in extreme cold, customers will oftentimes place a vapor barrier between the mattress and bed base lid if over a pass through.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

mid1dle

I too have the wet Bed

Quote Originally Posted by pcontatore View Post

PHIL
    I have taken delivery of a 27RL in March 2015. When I started to set the unit up, I found mold under the sealed mattress. I took pictures of the mold on the platform for the dealer to work out his side (warranty). He has no problem replacing the platform, yeah for me....but this leaves a problem. How is the water getting in. Now everyone will say open a windows, crack the vents. This will address the symptom not the problem. This unit is an Artic insulated unit I should not have this issue and I have not spent one day camping in the unit.
    A few weeks later..... and two trips
    I just came home from a camping trip with a group from my RV dealership. What a great time we had over the week end. It was a wet week end. The ducks had on their life vest. Now to my problem. When we arrived it was in the mid to lower 70's nice start to the week end. This was Friday night. Saturday brought rain and lower temps.
    So now we have high humidity and lower temps where we had to turn on our heat.
    When the heat brought the room up to temp we now are just enjoying our unit and how it was keeping us warm.
    Two days of lower temp (48 when we ate Sunday morning) This is not cold yet but still need something to take the nip off.

Just hang on I am getting to it.....

When we arrived home I started to get the unit ready for my work at the dealer. When the wife and I remove the mattress from the platform our plastic liner we placed on the platform was wet. We also placed the mattress in a cover that would protect it from water spillage, this also was wet on the bottom. Under the plastic liner it was dry. The top side was wet, this was the side that touched the mattress. The location that was wet was the same location as the mold.
    No evidence of water running in the inside of the unit, no evidence of water coming up from the bottom of the unit. So how???

It is in the platform. Looking at how the platform is made it trapped all the cold air under the part that is screwed to the frame. The side that lift up, had no mold on it as air is always changing in that compartment. The side that is screwed holds the air so the difference in temp, is what is causing the condensation on the mattress.
    or
    Not enough insulation under that part of the bed.

Question for GD, What do you think the issue may be.....??
    Insulation or air flow?

Bill
    Richmond, VA
    2015 27RL

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just took some measurements on our 303. The hinge in the bed platform is well forward of even the unheated forward storage area. It is close to the aft end of the pin box, well out into the overhang. I don't know what the internal structure is where the pin box joins the frame, but there must be substantial steel structure directly under the bed hinge. Difficult to thermally insulate one from the other, in the space available there.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

mid1dle
    Yes, the underbelly heat stops before it ever gets to the bed platform. The bath has the under belly heat but the bed room has none. The steel is a great cold conductor so the affect will last long. Interesting part is the section that you can lift has no issue. The problem is in the back of the platform (headboard side).

Bill
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,

In boats, a common solution for small cold spaces is a low current heating rod, that keeps the space at temperature between the cold outside and the warm inside.
    http://www.amazon.com/GoldenRod-24-i.../dp/B005FRG03O
    Would there be room for one of these in the sealed space forward of the hinge ?
    There is a place to plug it in on either side of the headboard.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast