User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto slider hitch question

Having put down a deposit on a 2021 260 RD we're now looking at slide hitch options. I'm trying to find an auto slider which doesn't require lining up the truck perfectly with the camper in order to hook up because I've been in situations where it's impossible to do. Which is why I don't want to use the turning point hitch pin setup because it requires a near perfect lineup. I checked with Pullrite and was told you need to be within 10 degrees of straight on. Does anyone know of an auto slider which gives you the capability to come in to the pin box at an angle?
    2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 260 RD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both a PullRite and now a Demco Hitchiker. Both require a pretty straight line-up. I never got into a situation where I couldn't re-hitch after disconnecting. The PullRite requires an adapter plate that screws to the rig's pin box. The Demco only requires an adapter late on the pin box if you use a MorRyde pin box (which I have). Somedays I connect on the first try, others day it take a few (too many) tries but I can forcefully re-align the Demo a bit and just need to sure I lower the rig enough for the pin to engage in the Demco.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using a Demco Hijacker as well, and, as others have said - you must be within +/- 10 degrees to hitch and unhitch. I have found that by opening up the guide plates by a 1/2" or so makes hitching up much easier. Great autoslider otherwise.

...VTX-Al

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, 10 degrees appears about as good as it gets with an auto slider. The dealer carries both choices and I'm planning on going by tomorrow to get the package done. Looking forward to hitting the road with our first fiver.
    2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 260 RD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got a hijacker as well. I open the guides wide open every time and haven’t had an issue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a situation at a smaller campground where I had to hook up my SuperGlide at a nearly 45 degree angle. It is entirely possible but takes some effort. We were at East Lake in central Oregon, and the guy across from me parked right where I needed to be and then went fishing.

I was able to turn the hitch head to the angle needed, but because it was loose, it was a bit of a pain but turning into the pin box and having the hitch plate center on the wedge, it snapped right in. What makes all the difference is the pin box height, you won't have it riding up the plate but just perfect height so the hitch plate can move slightly. I was then able to back the trailer up a bit more and get pretty straight to finish hooking up and making sure I didn't high pin it. The hitch locked in just fine. The biggest thing to watch for and deal with is having the tailgate down. I got close and closed it but if I wasn't paying attention, would have done some damage to the tailgate and the trailer. I would probably remove the tailgate if I find myself in that position again.

It's not impossible by any means. It would probably be much easier the next time...but I'm not looking forward to a next time.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1