User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Imagine 2400BH - what to do for winter camping?

Hello,

We purchased a 2021 Imagine 2400BH in August and it is set to arrive in a week or two. This is our first camper. We have rented before, but are still very new to this exciting adventure. I have a couple of questions regarding what I can purchase in advance to get set up for ski season camping in Colorado. We are putting the camper on a slip up in Breckenridge, and plan to visit it on the weekends. It will be stationary for the entire season, not towed weekly. The slip has electric/sewage/cable hook ups. It has been difficult to buy too much in advance as the specifications on the Grand Design website are limited, as are measurement listings. We are less concerned with costs and more concerned with protecting the camper if that is any help in your suggestions. If anyone can help us with the below we would greatly appreciate it!

1) What type of vent covers should we buy for this model?

2) If we keep the thermostat set at 50 degrees when we are gone during the week, and the camper is skirted, will this keep the underbelly/tanks warm enough or should we place space heaters underneath the camper? If yes, do you have any recommendations? And/or should we set thermostat higher?

3) Should I have an awning installed over the slide-out? The slide-out will be retracted when we leave, but it is likely to snow while we are there with it extended. If yes, do you have any recommendations? We are in Denver if there are any services that can be referred. Also ok to do self installation.

4) Heat tape or heated water hose? Or none if we just fill the water tank with a normal drinking water hose and don't leave connected? The site prohibits leaving the water supply and sewage hoses attached while we are gone, so not sure if we even need heated hose preparations if we just fill the water tank when we arrive and not use the city water, and dump upon departure/store the sewage hose. Any advice on what would be easiest or what someone would typically do for weekend winter camping? Is there any advantage to using city water beyond having constant water supply, or is filling the water tank a reasonable solution for weekend camping? I assume we can empty the water tank with the gray/black water when we leave?

5) Suggestions on water hose, power cables, surge protectors, elbow for water hose, etc, anything we will need to purchase to assist hooking up to the site?

6) Suggestions on propane tank level detectors (wifi/app enabled) or anything else you can think of to help monitor the camper while we are not there?

7) Skirting questions - I believe we will do an ez-snap vinyl install (other suggestions welcome). If we will be moving the slide in and out, how do we skirt the camper since the skirt will cover the bottom portion of the slide? Do we apply snaps around the outside of the extended slide-out, and then unsnap that portion when we retract the slide? I suppose the question is what does someone typically do to skirt an RV so that the slide can be moved in and out and remain skirted without too much hassle? Do I cut slits or install zippers to access dumping the tanks, changing the propane? Should I just call a professional to install?

9) Should we insulate the windows? If yes, any suggestions would be appreciated.

8) And lastly, ANY advice for you have for first time camper owners, camping in the winter? These are our primary concerns, but I imagine I may have missed other important planning necessities.

Thank you so very much in advance for your time ,

PJ
    Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Steffen View Post
    Hello,

We purchased a 2021 Imagine 2400BH in August and it is set to arrive in a week or two. This is our first camper. We have rented before, but are still very new to this exciting adventure. I have a couple of questions regarding what I can purchase in advance to get set up for ski season camping in Colorado. We are putting the camper on a slip up in Breckenridge, and plan to visit it on the weekends. It will be stationary for the entire season, not towed weekly. The slip has electric/sewage/cable hook ups. It has been difficult to buy too much in advance as the specifications on the Grand Design website are limited, as are measurement listings. We are less concerned with costs and more concerned with protecting the camper if that is any help in your suggestions. If anyone can help us with the below we would greatly appreciate it!

2) If we keep the thermostat set at 50 degrees when we are gone during the week, and the camper is skirted, will this keep the underbelly/tanks warm enough or should we place space heaters underneath the camper? If yes, do you have any recommendations? And/or should we set thermostat higher?

3) Should I have an awning installed over the slide-out? The slide-out will be retracted when we leave, but it is likely to snow while we are there with it extended. If yes, do you have any recommendations? We are in Denver if there are any services that can be referred. Also ok to do self installation.

4) Heat tape or heated water hose? Or none if we just fill the water tank with a normal drinking water hose and don't leave connected? The site prohibits leaving the water supply and sewage hoses attached while we are gone, so not sure if we even need heated hose preparations if we just fill the water tank when we arrive and not use the city water, and dump upon departure/store the sewage hose. Any advice on what would be easiest or what someone would typically do for weekend winter camping? Is there any advantage to using city water beyond having constant water supply, or is filling the water tank a reasonable solution for weekend camping? I assume we can empty the water tank with the gray/black water when we leave?

5) Suggestions on water hose, power cables, surge protectors, elbow for water hose, etc, anything we will need to purchase to assist hooking up to the site?

6) Suggestions on propane tank level detectors (wifi/app enabled) or anything else you can think of to help monitor the camper while we are not there?

7) Skirting questions - I believe we will do an ez-snap vinyl install (other suggestions welcome). If we will be moving the slide in and out, how do we skirt the camper since the skirt will cover the bottom portion of the slide? Do we apply snaps around the outside of the extended slide-out, and then unsnap that portion when we retract the slide? I suppose the question is what does someone typically do to skirt an RV so that the slide can be moved in and out and remain skirted without too much hassle? Do I cut slits or install zippers to access dumping the tanks, changing the propane? Should I just call a professional to install?

9) Should we insulate the windows? If yes, any suggestions would be appreciated.

8) And lastly, ANY advice for you have for first time camper owners, camping in the winter? These are our primary concerns, but I imagine I may have missed other important planning necessities.

Thank you so very much in advance for your time ,

PJ
    Oh my, that's a lot of questions for one post. I'll try to answer as best I can but the only experience camping in cold weather is just at / near freezing. The furnace came on often there was lots of condensation on the windows. I would definitely do something for the windows. That's really cold weather your heading into. I would most likely add an electric heater also. That could help with moister. Heated hose also.
    1) we added Maxxair vents. Not sure on winter performance
    2)not certain
    3)uncertain but my guess is No since it might freeze and break
    4)I'd be inclined to go heated hose
    5)lots of questions here. We use the power cable that came with the rig. We got the Progress Industries EMS that comes highly recommended and always use it. Sewer we use this https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-RhinoEXT.../dp/B07ZPJN2N9 and this https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-39080-Rh.../dp/B00T36KRS2.
    6)we got this https://www.amazon.ca/AP-Products-02.../dp/B01C5RQI74 but again, uncertain of winter performance.
    7)unknown but I think I would do something
    9) last I check 8 comes before 8. Lol anyway I would at a minimum with the clear plastic that you shrink with a hair dryer.
    8)make absolutely certain that that heat doesn't run out.

Hopefully folks with winter experience will chime in.

Welcome to the family

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Imagine line is not really set up for that kind of winter use - and you will go through a LOT of propane trying to keep it thawed out without winterizing it between uses. Perhaps @FT4NOW can chime in with some advice - he routinely stays in those kinds of places in the winter. Another resource would be to look for and ask to join a FB group called "WINTER RVing - Let's Stay Warm Together!" That group is all about surviving cold weather in RVs and there's a lot of good experience over there.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending what vents you have will determine the covers. We have max air vents w/rain sensors and went with max air II vent covers if i recall. The max air web site shows which one, but they install easily without tools and use pins to hold them in place. Our rain sensors are no longer useful, but i much rather have the cover.

2) If we keep the thermostat set at 50 degrees when we are gone during the week, and the camper is skirted, will this keep the underbelly/tanks warm enough or should we place space heaters underneath the camper? If yes, do you have any recommendations? And/or should we set thermostat higher

If you don't run the furnace, the underbelly wont be heated. When we camp in the winter we monitor the outdoor temperature and i keep a temperature monitor in my water compartment with an alarm set at 40F. If it will be freezing for an extended time, i will run the furnace. I do run the fireplace and 2 space heaters inside, but im on 50A power and i have figured out which outlets belong to which circuit breaker so i ensure i don't over load the individual circuits. Space heaters typically draw 12A each. If the skirting is decent, a space heater might help, but i would get a thermometer and see the effectiveness and then make a plan.

We don't have slide toppers and have had plenty of snow up there. Usually i'll climb on the roof and sweep off the snow, not letting it build up too much. This is only necessary if your running the heat in the camper as the snow on the slides will melt first, and the only place for water to go is in the camper. I usually crawl around on the roof to minimize chances of falling. I've seen other people do nothing and they haven't complained of water intrusion, but i prefer not to take a chance.

4) Heat tape or heated water hose? Or none if we just fill the water tank with a normal drinking water hose and don't leave connected? The site prohibits leaving the water supply and sewage hoses attached while we are gone, so not sure if we even need heated hose preparations if we just fill the water tank when we arrive and not use the city water, and dump upon departure/store the sewage hose. Any advice on what would be easiest or what someone would typically do for weekend winter camping? Is there any advantage to using city water beyond having constant water supply, or is filling the water tank a reasonable solution for weekend camping? I assume we can empty the water tank with the gray/black water when we leave

I say both! We used a heated hose and covered it in foam pipe insulation. Never had a frozen hose even in single digits temps. We did wrap heat tape around our spigot and that didn't freeze either. We went with the method of filling the tank and using that to be on the safe side, its good to have a backup supply in case the campground water freezes. I had an exciting time with a frozen sewer hose. I didn't know it, but one of my black tank valves was leaking. I figured it out when i went to dump the tank and noticed my entire sewer hose was frozen and i couldnt even disconnect it from the camper. I'm guessing as it was leaking it would freeze in the hose, temps were in the teens for about a week. I ended up wrapping the entire sewer hose in foil, then heat tape, then fiberglass insulation. The next morning it was all melted and i could dump again. I replaced the leaking valves the following spring, no issues the following winter. Keep in mind, a full tank is harder to freeze than a tank with a little water,but it goes the same way for trying to thaw it out. Just be mindful of temps and tank levels.

I think we have a camco heated hose, 2 actually in case one isnt long enough. I used it for 3 winters 24/7 wrapped in foam pipe insulation and it worked great. I swapped out the hoses in the sping/summer/fall to a non-heated hose. We've always used the stock power cable, no problems. We started with a Progressive Industries 50A portable EMS unit and eventually went with a hard wired unit. One less thing to hook up, and some places we stay at have the power outlet so close to the ground, it made using the portable unit very difficult. We have a unique water setup since i ripped out our Nautilus panel and made my own design. You can see pictures if you search the forum for 'Goodbye Nautilus'.

We don't have any, but keep both tank valves open and check the status of the regulator daily. If it shows red, i will go fill the tank in the next day or so. When temps were in the teens we ran the furnace a lot and used a 30lb tank in about 2.5 days.

We don't have skirting, but when we were in a semi-
    permanent spot, we picked up lots of leaves in fall and placed them in garbage bags. We then made a little wind break wall with them under one side of our camper. It actually helps, because it blocks the wind, and the leaves start decomposing in the bags causing heat, we placed some of those around our sewer hoses as well.

We have dual pane windows, and put up reflecitx in the garage. Mainly for the light, but it helps with insulation. We also put a throw rug down in the garage since the underbelly isn't enclosed under there. We didn't want to shut all the light out of the camper, so we left the windows alone.

8) And lastly, ANY advice for you have for first time camper owners, camping in the winter? These are our primary concerns, but I imagine I may have missed other important planning necessities

Do a search of the forum for winter camping and take notes of what to do and what not to do. A lot of it is trial and error. Don't be afraid to ask others for help and advice. Make sure to research where the best price is for propane, for us it was a local U-haul, don't use the propane swap places, use the places that actually fill the bottle. Get all your winter stuff prepped ahead of time (heated hoses, heat tape/zip ties/extension cord rated for outdoor use, any extra insulation you plan on using). Figure out how you want to set everything up early, have a plan where to store winter gear, how you will handle snow and think of a plan for power outages since they can occur in winter due to ice build up on power lines. We have an onboard generator and ensured the tank was full for winter. No backup power, no heat. Your battery will run the furnace, but not for a long time.

You will want to use a dehumidifier inside the camper. With the temperature differences and breathing of people in the camper, there will be excess moisture in the air. It will be visible on the walls without a dehumidifier for cold weather camping. Hope that helps and gives you a good start
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 10-01-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH