User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Padre Island, TX

Well, we're supposed to take delivery of the new coach (M399th) next week. After about a month of local shakedown, the plan is to head southeast to Padre Island National Seashore for a month or so. We know we're limited to 14 day stays, with a few days in between. After the Island, then it's off to either Louisiana, or other parts of Texas. During the hiatus period between beach stays, we're hoping to find an RV park or 2 to decompress for a few days, do some laundry, wash off the salt and sand, etc. Hopefully we'll find availability. The key for us on length of stay on the beach is making the water last. It's only the two of us.

From the south at Port Isabel, there are roads onto the island, with State Park Rd 100 heading north. Is there beach camping along Rd 100, or is it only available north of where the road ends?

Coming onto the north side of the island from Corpus Christi, it appears there is free beach camping heading south toward Little and Big Shell beaches, and then maybe north toward Port Aransas.

I have heard that the north side is possibly more big rig friendly than the south side, but I haven't heard anything definitive.

So, I'm wide open to advice from those that have actually camped there, on either side, north or south.

Edit: we're most interested in dispersed beach camping. RV parks are secondary.

What are the best areas to go, and areas to avoid? We already know to avoid Isla Blanca due to the proximity to the Mexican border.

TIA!
    Last edited by Chuck.N; 10-02-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is Mustang Island State Park in Port Aransas. I don't recall what amenities they offer but the campsites are behind ghed dune lines on the beach. We are booked into Port Aransas RV Resort for the month of October maybe see you there. Happy travels.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are heading to isla Blanca for the first time this Friday ( from Austin). I’ll post up our experience, but we’ve heard great things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 31mb
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post

What are the best areas to go, and areas to avoid? We already know to avoid Isla Blanca due to the proximity to the Mexican border.

TIA!
    There may be reasons to avoid Isla Blanca but safety concerns isn't one of them. Is on South Padre island walking distance to "Downtown"
    Frank & PJ
    2018 303 RLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Sierra

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WE-C-USA View Post
    There may be reasons to avoid Isla Blanca but safety concerns isn't one of them. Is on South Padre island walking distance to "Downtown"
    That is a nice place, I have driven through it several times while at S. Padre Island. The KOA across the road isn't all that nice, very cramped and tiny sites and always packed.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that Isla Blanc beach is a waist deep walk across the channel into Mexico. Perhaps I was misinformed.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that Isla Blanc beach is a waist deep walk across the channel into Mexico. Perhaps I was misinformed.
    Yes you are very misinformed. Isla Blanca has a large vessel shipping lane just south of it. You are probably thinking of Boca Chica Beach. And at times you can walk across the Rio Grande there.
    Frank & PJ
    2018 303 RLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Sierra

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we're supposed to take delivery of the new coach (M399th) next week. After about a month of local shakedown, the plan is to head southeast to Padre Island National Seashore for a month or so. We know we're limited to 14 day stays, with a few days in between. After the Island, then it's off to either Louisiana, or other parts of Texas. During the hiatus period between beach stays, we're hoping to find an RV park or 2 to decompress for a few days, do some laundry, wash off the salt and sand, etc. Hopefully we'll find availability. The key for us on length of stay on the beach is making the water last. It's only the two of us.

From the south at Port Isabel, there are roads onto the island, with State Park Rd 100 heading north. Is there beach camping along Rd 100, or is it only available north of where the road ends?

Coming onto the north side of the island from Corpus Christi, it appears there is free beach camping heading south toward Little and Big Shell beaches, and then maybe north toward Port Aransas.

I have heard that the north side is possibly more big rig friendly than the south side, but I haven't heard anything definitive.

So, I'm wide open to advice from those that have actually camped there, on either side, north or south.

TIA!
    If I was coming from South Padre into the Corpus Christi area I would consider Pioneer RV Park in Port Aransas. Good clean large sites, good shower and laundry rooms. From Port Aransas you can take HWY 59 into Houston then pick up IH10.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are very misinformed. Isla Blanca has a large vessel shipping lane just south of it. You are probably thinking of Boca Chica Beach. And at times you can walk across the Rio Grande there.
    Clearly, I was misinformed.

Ok, so beach camping....
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th